OneWorld flights without mileage credit

Discussion in 'oneworld' started by almeyer1, Apr 29, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. In November I flew to Australia on Qantas, unfortunately during the A380 problem. Not only was I bumped for two days, I found out that I received no mileage credit for the return leg home. Why, because AA and Qantas have new tickets that state in the fine print that the flight does not qualify for mileage credit. Unfortunately, there is no notice or no statement made during ticketing. It was not until I questioned where the mileage was that the fine print was read to me. Just becuase the ticket is a few dollars cheaper doesn't mean it is a better deal. Obviously, I received no credit.

I have not been able to find anywhere in the OneWorld documentation that some flights may not be eligible for credit. Did I miss something?

2. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

DestinationDavid Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Hi almeyer1, and welcome to MP!

Sorry to hear you lost some miles, I know how frustrating that can probably be. :(

I wish I had some better news but unfortunately this mileage policy isn't new. There aren't new tickets or new policies, it's been in existance for a very long time. Also, you don't need to look for Oneworld documentation. Each carrier allows its members to accrue miles at different rates. There is no universal Oneworld mileage accrual policy.

AA posts the mileage accrual rates for its partners on its website. It has an entire section devoted to it here.

The easiest way to avoid any confusion on mileage earning is to simply book the AA codeshare on the partner flight. Often times this costs more, but the additional airfare gives you the miles you're looking for.

Again, welcome to MP and best of luck in the future with your mileage accrual! :)

3. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Welcome to MP. As a general rule, it's wise to check very carefully what miles be credited before purchasing a ticket that involves partners, including codeshares. The rules can be very complicated.

Global Explat likes this.
  4. Hello David:

I followed your advice and looked at the AA codeshare with AirBerlin: Flight AA8053 from RSW to DUS on June 11, 2011, and return on June 25, 2011, costs $2,867.40 on SuperSaver Economy. The flight is operated by AirBerlin. The cost for the same round trip flight booked directly with AirBerlin AB7009/8 costs $1,024.98 only. This is 64 percent less than AA charges. Do you think the additional airfare is worth the miles I get for it?

Mike

5. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

DestinationDavid Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Hi Mike, welcome to MP! :)

At the end of the day, the frequent flier mantra is always "your mileage may vary" (YMMV), and you'll see that posted a lot on the site. It's a term I would use for your question! At the end of the day, only you can answer whether paying that much money is worth the extra miles. Everyone has their own needs and wealth.

That being said.....

If it was me personally, I would not book the ticket. You can currently buy miles for much less then the price different you'd pay. See this page with information on pricing miles. You can currently pay $800 and have AA give you 40,000 miles, more then your roundtrip. If I can buy it for much less, I don't see how anyone could convince me to fly it!

Have you considered taking another route to DUS? American's Oneworld partners British Airways (BA), Iberia (IB), and Finnair (AY) all fly to DUS. Have you considered flying on American to London (for BA), Madrid (IB), or Helsinki (AY) and connecting there? The price might be much better and it gives you much better earning potential. Still watch those fare codes, but as OW partners the integration is much closer then AirBerlin, who is a pending partner and not technically in the alliance.

Hope that helps, but maybe someone else has some advice?

Global Explat likes this.
  6. Global Explat
    Original Member

Global Explat Silver Member

Status Points:
    Miemrich

Just checked the Air Berlin site - the 1024.98 is actually denominated in Euros (that's approximately $1517 in USD). So while it is still significantly cheaper to book via Air Berlin, it's not quite as dramatic as you had thought.

This fare, if booked via AirBerlin's site, would include 9498 Air Berlin topbonus miles. Those do expire within 3 years, but AirBerlin's TopBonus program is scheduled to become a fully fledged member of OneWorld alliance at the start of 2012, so you could have a good 2+ years to make use of them in a broader program.

According to the site, if you register now in the topbonus program (for free), you'll get "up to" 500 bonus miles just for signing up. I just signed up and got 300 miles.

Good Luck!

7. Global Explat
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Also - over in the Airline Programs section, (the Other Airlines - Europe threads), ralfkrippner has highlighted some of the benefits of becoming an AirBerlin topbonus member as an easy route to OneWorld status.... (I would post the link but havent figured that out yet :confused:). If someone else could post the link, would be helpful....

8. Global Explat
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Just responded to their confirmation email and that took me to the 500 bonus points...

9. Simon
    Original Member

Simon Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    And most of the time the best deals do not receive mileage so it`s a good idea to suss this out before ticking. I know many friends have been very disappointed to find out they booked a booking class not eligible for mileage.

Some airlines don`t show you the booking class online, you have to ring to ask what booking receives what booking class to further complicate the matter.

MSPeconomist likes this.
  10. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    I would worry further than the information communicated by phone could be incorrect, especially for partner and codeshare travel. Most USA carriers seem to give full miles on all published fares, but I know that foreign carriers generally do not. It would be heartbreaking to count on miles or plan a MR and not get full credit as expected.