OneWorld Awards to Athens

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Miles/Points' started by TUMD, May 25, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. TUMD

TUMD Silver Member

Status Points:
    I have started looking for award space for next spring and it seems that there is nothing on the AA or BA websites in April and most of May. Is there just nothing available of are there only seasonal flights to Athens on OneWorld carriers? Once I hit June it seems like Iberia, US Air, BA, etc. all start showing up. I am looking to take a trip there in the April-June time frame next year and I am wondering if I should shift it to June-July. Is this mostly a seasonal route and does anyone know what the timeframes are?

jbcarioca likes this.
  2. TUMD

TUMD Silver Member

Status Points:
    After I posted this I looked again and it apears that BA has flights starting April 19th, 2015 but would still love to hear any info or experiance people have.

jbcarioca likes this.
  3. sharris503

sharris503 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Search with Qantas. I like their search engine and they show more oneworld carriers than AA.

jbcarioca and TUMD like this.
  4. TUMD

TUMD Silver Member

Status Points:
    Do you find there is much difference between BA and Qantas? I use BA but have not used Qantas although I hear people talk about it

jbcarioca likes this.
  5. philatravelgirl

philatravelgirl Silver Member

Status Points:
    I would break the flights up and look for space to LHR and then from there. I find that if I do a search on where I want to go like Venice no space b/c club world long haul might be good but then get stuck as no club Europe so entire flight comes back unavailable in my experience. I ended up club world to LHR and coach to Venice had to call to book. I always look at one way for each segment then build the itinerary from there

jbcarioca likes this.
  6. sharris503

sharris503 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I think Qantas' search tool is much more flexible. They will show an entire month as opposed to BA which just shows a week at a time. Also, do your search for the overwater segments first. Take a look at ATH on wikipedia and see which oneworld carriers fly there. I would then search for the connecting segment from those hubs.

jbcarioca, TUMD and MX like this.
  7. TUMD

TUMD Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks. Yeah, the Qantas search engine certainly saves time. I was just messing with it. In terms of searching flights, what you described is actually how I always do it. I will either Wiki the airport or go to the OneWorld interactive map and see what cities are connected and piece each segment together. I had actually been searching MAD-ATH and LON-ATH and was not finding much which is why I posed the question.

Last edited: May 26, 2014
    jbcarioca likes this.
  8. BOShappyflyer

BOShappyflyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    I visited Greece a couple of years back on oneworld. On BA. I had to break it up by going east coast to London and then LHR to ATH. It wasn't too bad in terms of availability but the layover was a good 7hr long at LHR.

I don't think they was any direct flights in oneworld, but not sure if that had since changed.