Oneworld Awards - South America

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by onlybeef42, Aug 4, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. onlybeef42
    Original Member

onlybeef42 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I am looking to book a Oneworld Award with AA Miles originating in DFW and traveling throughout South America. My main goals are to visit both CUZ (Monte Picchu) and GPS (Galapagos) this trip which both appear to be solely operated by LAN.

My searching of the various forums has found that mexicana airlines would have allowed me to find a valid routing in the past, but, from what I have found, they may or may not be bankrupt and I'd prefer to get a "new" passport stamp if there is a way to avoid Mexico. The oneworld.com website shows no other partner options for me; however, I know that the people on MP tend to work magic. So, basically, is there anyway to book a Oneworld AA Mile award which would allow a multi stopovers within South America?

Thanks, Onlybeef42

jbcarioca likes this.
  2. newbluesea
    Original Member

newbluesea Gold Member

Status Points:
    In a word ...no.
    Mexicana is out of business and SA OW awards tecnically do not exist for intineraries starting in the US.
    (well theres the CX YVR/JFK flight but thats not on your projected itin)
    For South America one needs to book All-Partner awards and/or use the lower miles intra-SA awards.

Now if you get your hands on some BA miles then you are allowed vastly more liberal stop-over rules

jbcarioca likes this.
  3. onlybeef42
    Original Member

onlybeef42 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thank you for the quick reply. Now as a follow up question if I added a Caribbean portion to the trip using say... DFW-SJU-ANU-PUJ-LIM-<continue the rest of intended South America trip>.

Would I gain the ability to book a OneWorld ticked if the SJU-ANU-PUJ portion was on BA metal due to the use of both LAN and BA tickets?

jbcarioca likes this.
  4. Gardyloo
    Original Member

Gardyloo Gold Member

Status Points:
    Pretty sure BA doesn't have local traffic rights for SJU-ANU.

jbcarioca likes this.
  5. onlybeef42
    Original Member

onlybeef42 Silver Member

Status Points:
    On the oneworld.com website it says that there is a BA SJU-ANU flight. I was surprised that is why I asked. Is the Oneworld site not reliable?

jbcarioca likes this.
  6. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

DestinationDavid Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    There is a flight but as gardyloo states BA doesn't have local traffic rights. That means they cannot issue a ticket for travel between SJU and ANU.

jbcarioca and newbluesea like this.
  7. newbluesea
    Original Member

newbluesea Gold Member

Status Points:
    The above applies to another BA flight (which would work if bookable) if memory serves its GRU (or GIG)/EZE

jbcarioca likes this.
  8. onlybeef42
    Original Member

onlybeef42 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thank you for the responses!

So does that mean the below flights which I found on the Oneworld site in the Caribbean are also not bookable BA flights, unless they are part of a longer BA ticket?

POS-UVF: British Airways
    TAB-BGI: British Airways
    TAB-UVF: British Airways
    GND-BGI: British Airways
    ANU-PUJ: British Airways
    ANU-SKB: British Airways
    PUJ-ANU: British Airways
    GCM-NAS: British Airways
    NAS-PLS: British Airways

jbcarioca likes this.
  9. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I think RJ also has DTW-YUL. Does QF still do JFK-LAX (this would be cabotage, but still and interesting flight)? All without local traffic.

CX has YVR-JFK which I believe DOES have local traffic rights. LA's old YYZ-JFK had local traffic rights if I remember correctly, too.

There are quite a few interesting options in other alliances, too. PR (Philippine Airlines) does LAS-YVR with local traffic rights.

jbcarioca likes this.
  10. onlybeef42
    Original Member

onlybeef42 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Please forgive my greenness here... Am I understanding you correctly that adding a trip to Canada is my most efficient option to qualify for a Oneworld award in South America (because I originate DFW)?

jbcarioca likes this.
  11. Gardyloo
    Original Member

Gardyloo Gold Member

Status Points:
    I believe BA does have rights on some of them, e.g. ANU-SKB, GND-BGI, but not on all. So if you wanted to assemble a ticket with something like, e.g., DFW AA BGI BA GND AA MIA AA UIO XL GPS XL UIO LA LIM LA CUZ LA LIM AA MIA AA DFW, it ought to work. The Caribbean swing might add some mileage penalty, but maybe worth exploring.

jbcarioca likes this.
  12. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    According to BA.com, all of the following flights are available for purchase:
    POS-UVF
    TAB-BGI
    GND-BGI
    ANU-SKB
    GCM-NAS
    NAS-PLS

This is a great question btw, it really has us digging for information.

jbcarioca likes this.
  13. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Nope, see the two answers above. ;)

jbcarioca likes this.
  14. ChicagoEric
    Original Member

ChicagoEric Silver Member

Status Points:
    are local traffic rights the same as "fifth freedom rights?"

jbcarioca likes this.
  15. Gardyloo
    Original Member

Gardyloo Gold Member

Status Points:
    No, you need to use two Oneworld carriers that aren't AA. Since AA regards all the Lan affiliates in South America (Lan Peru, Ecuador, Chile et al) as monolithic, you need to find some other OW airline for at least one segment somewhere in your route. You could use CX's YVR-JFK flight, or one of the BA flights in the Caribbean that have traffic rights, or any other independently bookable flight on Oneworld metal, but that's the problem - most of the possible flights have local traffic restrictions (as, for example the QF LAX-JFK flight, which is only bookable in conjunction with Qantas trans-Pacific service before or after.)

I seem to recall that Iberia might have a "fifth freedom" flight somewhere in Central America or the Caribbean, but I can't put my finger on it. IIRC RJ no longer goes YUL-DTW or v.v. either.

jbcarioca likes this.
  16. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Could it be SDQ-SJU on IB? LINK.

I believe RJ still does YUL-DTW, but only on a seasonal basis. For example a flight booked for this Nov w/ RJ shows a technical stop between DTW-AMM and notes that all passengers need to be able to legally enter Canada.

jbcarioca likes this.
  17. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    They have no traffic rights on GIG either and IIRC it has now been discontinued anyway. The EZE option, does still work but the last i knew there were capacity limits, probably unpublished. I am not up to date.

18. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    Here are the Freedoms, courtesy of Wiki:

Freedom​
    Description​
    Example​
    1st the right to fly over a foreign country, without landing there[3] Toronto - Mexico City, as a Canadian company, overflying the United States.
    2nd the right to refuel or carry out maintenance in a foreign country on the way to another country[3] Toronto - Mexico City, as a Canadian company, but stopping for fuel in the United States.
    3rd the right to fly from one's own country to another[3] Toronto - Chicago, as a Canadian company
    4th the right to fly from another country to one's own[3] Toronto - Chicago, as an American company
    5th the right to fly between two foreign countries during flights while the flight originates or ends in one's own country[3] Toronto - Chicago - Mexico City, as a Canadian company
    6th the right to fly from a foreign country to another one while stopping in one's own country for non-technical reasons[3] Toronto - Chicago - Mexico City, as an American company
    7th the right to fly between two foreign countries while not offering flights to one's own country[3] Toronto - Mexico City, as an American company
    8th the right to fly between two or more airports in a foreign country while continuing service to one's own country[3] Chicago - New York - Toronto, as a Canadian company
    9th the right to fly inside a foreign country without continuing service to one's own country[3] Chicago - New York, as a Canadian company

[edit]​

19. Gardyloo
    Original Member

Gardyloo Gold Member

Status Points:
    Maybe; if so that article says IB don't have local traffic rights, so scratch that one.

And looking at the OW timetable, indeed it does show YUL RJ DTW as an available segment in December, so worth investigating as well.

DestinationDavid likes this.
  20. iolaire
    Original Member

iolaire Gold Member

Status Points:
    Did anyone come up with any additional strategies here? The Canadian options seem to require quite a bit of backtracking.

21. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    In addition to the BA flights discussed above, there is an IB flight from GUA to SAL (only in that direction, I believe the flight operates MAD-GUA-SAL-MAD) 4 days a week.

Once QR comes onboard as a OW airline, they operate a tag flight EZE-GRU.

If JJ's potential bid to join OW materializes, that might make it easier to use a OW award to explore S. America. There could be a few wrinkles in that angle though.

iolaire likes this.
  22. iolaire
    Original Member

iolaire Gold Member

Status Points:
  23. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
  24. iolaire
    Original Member

iolaire Gold Member