Oneworld and CLT

Discussion in 'oneworld' started by adrianors, Nov 17, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. adrianors

adrianors Silver Member

Status Points:
    Hi all,
    So, with this merge between AA and US Airways, CLT will become an AA (OneWorld) hub.. I have a few points with AA and no elite membership with any OneWorld partner. If I decide to start a run toward elite status, which company/FP from OneWorld would you guys say would be the best? I just started another thread about DL or UA but realized that migrating to a OneWorld program could also be a good thing to do.

Thanks!

jbcarioca likes this.
  2. Mike Reed

Mike Reed Gold Member

Status Points:
    Being in the US, AAdvantage is probably your best option if you're looking for elite status (and fly enough to get it). Typically only AA status members get any perks like upgrades, but any OW elite of a certain status can get Main Cabin Extra seats, baggage allowances, etc.

If you don't fly enough for elite status, there may be some advantage (no pun intended) to using BA, instead, as Avios can be fantastic values for booking shorter (distance-wise) flights on AA. BA is also nice since you can have a family account to pile all of your separate earnings into (read the qualifications/requirements) - we do so for my wife (who once I run out of ability to keep in AAdvantage status will be crediting to BA instead, as will the daughter who doesn't fly enough for status).

If you fly enough, you might consider a Trial Preferred status with US for either Silver or Gold and achieve it before the programs are merged, which should then give you either/or status and reciprocity once the programs combine.

zpaul, jbcarioca and adrianors like this.
  3. adrianors

adrianors Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for the tips again Mike, I'll look into that.. AA seems to me the best option but I guess I'll have to wait until January since until there I'll be flying Copa and United.. Which means that probably US will not be an option anymore.. (Too late by now to get into an elite tier with them.. Unless I buy qualification miles.. But I don't think it would be worth..)

zpaul and jbcarioca like this.
  4. craz
    Original Member

craz Silver Member

Status Points:
    Im not convinced that once merged that AA will leave itself with 4 Hubs along the Eastern seaboard JFK,PHL,CLT & MIA, especially for its Intl flights. Id say PHL or CLT gets the boot, although PHL is near to JFK, I dont know which is more profitable CLT or PHL and till now there are US flights CLT-JFK but not PHL-JFK

just as UA hasnt shut down CLE completely most likley AA wont shut PHL or CLT either but 1 of the 2 is sure to lose its Intl flights , just as CLE did

jbcarioca and adrianors like this.
  5. adrianors

adrianors Silver Member

Status Points:
    Hopefully not CLT.. They are working a lot in the airport.. CLT is a busy airport and the city is growing a lot (and also is the second largest financial center in US). If I had to bet I would bet that they would probably take the PHL int flights..

jbcarioca likes this.
  6. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    I would not bet on either losing international flights. Both have some flights that resulted from bilateral agreements and both have lower costs than MIA and JFK, the obvious winners were that to happen. Eventually that probably will happen, but I'd be surprised were it to happen anytime soon. I have been surprised before, so I could certainly be wrong about this.

adrianors likes this.
  7. adrianors

adrianors Silver Member

Status Points:
    I hope you are right.. I love the direct flight US have from CLT to GIG.

jbcarioca likes this.
  8. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    Some PHL international flights are very attractive to them now and not likely to be supplanted. PHL-TLV probably will stay put, as most likely the flights to OW stronghold such as MAD, LHR, BCN. Some of the seasonal routes are probably staying too, such as VCE. If there is question it's most likely the flights to *A strongholds such as MUC, FRA, ZRH. The AMS, CDG etc are seemingly doing well and aren't likely to go anywhere.

I'd consider also that there are quite a large number of B787 and A330 arriving in the next few years that will do well with long thin routes, so the operating economics ought to improve. The fortress hub days are becoming somewhat less important than they have been as these very efficient smaller aircraft enter the market. Had this been happening five years ago I'm sure they'd have shed hubs. Now, though, I really doubt that will happen. Were closing hubs a high probability US carriers would be stuffing their order books with B777X, A350-1000, B787-9X and A380. All of those are being ordered by airlines with long, thick routes that are slot controlled. The absence of really big aircraft orders by US carriers tells the story.

zpaul likes this.
  9. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    CLT-GRU is to be upgauged to A330 next May, and GIG allegedly will follow soon thereafter. That depends on receiving more new A330's though, and there aren't many arriving next year, four, IIRC.

zpaul and adrianors like this.
  10. adrianors

adrianors Silver Member

Status Points:
    Its time.. US fleet flying from CLT to GIG is terrible.. old aircrafts.. Is that independent of the merge between AA and US?

11. Sean Colahan
    Original Member

Sean Colahan Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yes, that plane upgrade was in the plans way before the merger....they just didn't have the aircraft to run on it. (Though I am surpassed they don't take the 2 A330's they run to SJU and put them on the GIG flight and put the older 767's on the SJU route.

adrianors likes this.
  12. Sean Colahan
    Original Member

Sean Colahan Gold Member

Status Points:
    I don't think CLT or PHL are going anywhere. CLT is a GREAT mid-atlantic hub for flying up and down the east coast/eastern mid-west....something AA could never materialize at RDU and less so at BNA. PHL is very close to JFK, but remember...JFK is slot restricted. While I think the New American will continue to fly a lot of O&D traffic out of JFK (especially TATL), I think PHL will still play a presence in connecting East coast traffic to Europe (aka...I would rather fly to PHL to go TATL from BOS then go all the way to ORD)

adrianors likes this.
  13. adrianors

adrianors Silver Member

Status Points:
    Same as ATL-BSB for DL.. Old, old and more old.. UA and AA have some better equipped aircrafts flying to Brazil..