OnePass Is Not Dead Yet

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by Chic Silber, Feb 15, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Chic Silber
    Original Member

Chic Silber Silver Member

Status Points:
    We have the rest of this year before we are dumped into M/P

or whatever they decide to call the devalued program it becomes

Chic

2. Hannaman
    Original Member

Hannaman Silver Member

Status Points:

Why would you assume it will be devalued?

Along with the UA partnership (prior to the merger discussions), CO introduced 100% EQM, SWUs, and waived close-in award fees for Platinums -- all in order to match UA. Now CO has CR1s as well, again something that UA had that CO did not.

If anything, the MP program has already had significant positive influence on OnePass.

3. gleff
    Original Member

gleff Co-founder

Status Points:
    As long as Starnet blocking continues to stay away from UA award redemption then I'll take most of UA over CO.

I've very much liked the CO program but on the whole there are things that UA has done much more generously. SWUs, CR1s, one-way partner awards, and compensation... plus with United status matters more than fare for upgrades.

Ultimately both were good programs, different features and tradeoffs, and so far nothing's been gutted. :)

colpuck, tjtenor4, Sean and 1 other person like this.
  4. Billiken
    Original Member

Billiken Silver Member

Status Points:
    IMHO, any decline in the combined program benefits will come in 2012 or 2013, after "the dust" settles.

harry0233, Sean and Fredd like this.
  5. Renard
    Original Member

Renard Silver Member

Status Points:
    Your point? Or just a rant thread?

tjtenor4 likes this.
  6. Renard
    Original Member

Renard Silver Member

Status Points:
    I would tend to agree. Although I fear that we might see CO's ultra-conservative release of their own reward seats spread to UA pretty quickly.

7. Chic Silber
    Original Member

Status Points:
    There should still be a OnePass forum until it's destroyed

I may grouse but I DON'T RANT

Freddie Listo likes this.
  8. Fredd
    Original Member

Fredd Gold Member

Status Points:
    That certainly looks like good corporate strategy. Likewise, any and all changes will be enhancements. :D As well, if we don't like the new program it's obvious there's one fewer ship to jump to post-amalgamation.

9. Geo
    Original Member

Geo Gold Member

Status Points:
    I don't review a play before I see it. FUD is not helpful. There is no need to get stressed out about what may happen. It is possible to make up infinite scenarios. We will all know soon enough. Embrace the uncertainty, don't be threatened by it. You have better things to do with your life.

10. Mackieman
    Original Member

Mackieman Gold Member

Status Points:
    Amen. What is going to happen will happen and there is little to nothing that any of us can do about it. So, I choose to remain positive and be hopeful. If the combined carrier and program are not for me, then I can vote with my wallet.

Gtitan likes this.
  11. Phudnik
    Original Member

Phudnik Gold Member

Status Points:
    I don't necessarily see this as an issue unless (1) there are no seats available or (2) the program pushes you to US on planes other than the A332.

I also haven't had problems redeeming seats on CO, though I haven't tried to redeem for transcons in years, nor have I tried to redeem for ex-US travel.

Of course, if we have UA-style Starnet blocking and CO's "ultra-conservative release of their own reward seats," then we're in trouble :eek:

I am hopeful that we will see better treatment of everyone (IME, CO treats general members and low- and mid-tier elites better than UA, though this is my first year as a CO Plat and I was never higher than 1P on UA). Giving all elites access to the red/blue carpet and giving everyone access to US-based agents even during big storms would be a nice start. Perhaps this is optimistic, but then I am a Cleveland Indians fan (hope springs eternal, even though I am always disappointed).

12. Minnesota Bruin
    Original Member

Minnesota Bruin Silver Member

Status Points:
    Why? So they can go through the trouble of combining the forums later? Maybe you can grouse about the name of this forum but I think the concept is sound. [​IMG]

Speaking of names, where's the "what will the new combined program be called" thread?

Renard likes this.
  13. Renard
    Original Member

Renard Silver Member

Status Points:
    Well if the renaming of the lounge tells us anything, the new program will be named the "United Frequent Flier Program" [​IMG]

Hannaman likes this.
  14. Chic Silber
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I don't care much what they call it but there are still 2 completely seperate programs

Why would it be any trouble to keep 2 forums until they are 1

You could argue that all Star Alliance could be 1

Each of us may or may not care about each other's programs equally

15. u600213
    Original Member

u600213 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I am predominantly UA, not CO since CO does not serve SGF except via codeshare but one benefit of CO is the ability to use miles for Virgin Atlantic awards. I expect that will go away but hope it stays.

16. mowogo
    Original Member

mowogo Gold Member

Status Points:
    I believe that the forums were combined into one for the community building aspect. On another board, the one thing everybody was dreading was the merger of the different boards because of the completely different attitude and style that each airline had. With entrenched communities, merging groups becomes extremely difficult because of the different personalities involved. There have also been calls from members to merge the two boards now as the programs are being aligned, as someone from CO can easily help with a modification that is bringing Mileage Plus in line with OnePass, and the opposite holds true as well.

Since this is a new site, with a focus on community, why not bring everybody together and try and break down our silos before the programs are completely integrated. There are already enough issues that affect both programs, and the list of dual issues grows even more each day.

17. Squeeze it like an orange !
    Get every last drop of goodness out of OnePass :p

18. Chic Silber
    Original Member

Status Points:

Thanks for your explanation

I can certainly see the issues you mention but I would

have preferred to get this site on it's feet with maintaining

the 2 programs seperate for the initial period of time

I do try to stay optimistic about the outcome

19. Chic Silber
    Original Member

Status Points:
    If you have followed any of these programs for many years

you wouldn't have to ask such a question

They all may throw us a bone now & then but the redemption

values of the points keep falling like stones

Many of the carriers have found new ways of selling

the upgrade seats out from under our asses

20. Hannaman
    Original Member

Hannaman Silver Member

Status Points:

When I first joined with CO, CO had a CObbled together network of partners, and CO was not in an alliance.

While I agree that redemption rates have gone up, redeemability has improved dramatically. It got better when CO joined SkyTeam, and it got better again when CO joined Star.

Just two years ago, CO had a 50% EQM rule, Plats had to pay a fee for close-in bookings, CO had no SWUs and no CR1s, Plats had to pay for SDC, etc.. These improvements were all alignments with UA, and improvements, IMO.

While I agree that there is a risk of devaluation, bringing UA into the mix has improved the CO program to date.

21. Seacarl
    Original Member

Seacarl Gold Member

Status Points:
    As mainly a United flyer, I think it is great that the forums are merged so that I learn about CO program and how everything integrates. I think CO flyers will similarly benefit. Whether you want it or not, we are being merged and we may as well communicate with one another and learn from each other.

22. Scottrick
    Original Member

Scottrick Gold Member

Status Points:
    They'll merge eventually, and the new airline will be called United. Currently, the airline called United has a FF program called Mileage Plus. Having one forum called United Mileage Plus makes sense to me.