One Year Since Merger

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by bestkidsdaddy, Feb 26, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. bestkidsdaddy

bestkidsdaddy New Member

Status Points:
    So its been one year since the merger and I am still hating it. It is even more dificult to get upgraded than it was before and there seems to be little benefit to being a Gold Premier member. Despite booking weeks in advance, I still end up with a seat toward the rear of the plane on flights accross the country. I will become a million miler with UAL be mid March and am locked somewhat locked into UAL's program but wish that I would have given my loyalties to another airline because customer loyalty seems to mean very little (at most) to United.

2. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    HaveMilesWillTravel likes this.
  3. AZjohn

AZjohn Silver Member

Status Points:
    Not taking any pain away from OP, but the merger officially took place in 2011 (forgot what month).
    My pain has been felt prior to the PPS system switchover which we all remember was 3/3/12.
    It is what it is....

4. Flyer1976
    Original Member

Flyer1976 Gold Member

Status Points:
    PSS...

AZjohn likes this.
  5. AZjohn

AZjohn Silver Member

Status Points:
    You say PSS, I say PPS.....Like I even know what I'm talking about..:D

6. KenInEscazu

KenInEscazu Gold Member

Status Points:
    I really do feel for those premiers who aren't 1K. I made 1K for the first time last year, and I'm now enjoying benefits similar to those I once enjoyed as a CO silver. The third bag is nice, and I do notice that the agents (always almost always helpful before and after) seem to try a little harder now that I show up as a 1K.

Other than that, the wait lists for UGs are still so long that I can't imagine anyone not 1K getting the call. I know when to use an instrument to UG when it's important to me, and I'm pretty good at picking flights that give me a better shot otherwise. If not for that, I would be riding "back there" with the Plats, Golds and Silvers most of the time rather than some of the time.

Just this month I got my first CPU between SJO & IAH in a year. Odd... There were only 6 of us in a 16 seat cabin. I never see that. Even more odd when you consider that this is "high season" in Costa Rica. The return was packed, but I had used a GPU. They lost one of bags (again) for a couple of days, and didn't get it to me in time for my Valentine's Day date. Try getting ready with no hair brush or dryer after being "promised" that it would be at my house by 2:00 PM. It showed up the next morning - 2 days after my arrival.

I have no idea how to advise a Gold to strategize for any real benefit beyond the third bag. Being the world's largest airline simply means too many Premier fliers for the program to have reliable value, and that's not something UA can even manage without devaluing their MP program to the point that it isn't competitive.

eponymous_coward likes this.
  7. HeathrowGuy
    Original Member

HeathrowGuy Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm Gold, and I'm fine.

eponymous_coward, genemk2 and desamo like this.
  8. desamo

desamo Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yes, yes you are. :)

I'm fine, too.

Seriously, I get E+ at booking, have gotten more upgrades than when I was a silver (I believe it's 7 so far this year, though two of those flights were later canceled due to weather). I'm happy with Gold. Sure, I'd rather be a 1K. May actually get there this year.

9. boaz84

boaz84 Silver Member

Status Points:
    UA is the past...AA + US is the future. For me, anyway....

Captain Oveur likes this.
  10. HeathrowGuy
    Original Member

HeathrowGuy Gold Member

Status Points:
    You have my sympathies.

PanAm and KenInEscazu like this.
  11. sfogate
    Original Member

sfogate Gold Member

Status Points:
    It's been a fun year. I have new co-workers, more places to travel to, new customers and fun company events that I have been allowed to help at and attend. I'm looking forward to a better second year. :)

desamo, Flyer1976 and HeathrowGuy like this.
  12. tommy777
    Original Member

tommy777 Co-founder

Status Points:
    You'd be fine in 34B on an A320 and other stellar middle seats, 9 cancellations since 3/3, nearly 50 hours delayed last summer, 69% of upgrades clearing, first ever SWU not clearing internationally, dozens of "so what?" and a denial of covering a hotel after a cancelation a couple of weeks back.

Oh wait.. That's me :p. It sure has been the worst travel year for me on United ever.

Honestly, it's getting better, but there sure are a bunch of annoying flaws, many of them can't be fixed, but we've already covered this in another thread

AZjohn, eponymous_coward and tom911 like this.
  13. tommy777
    Original Member

tommy777 Co-founder

Status Points:
    Credit where credit is due. Ex CO United agent was extremely flexible with my cancellation for tomorrow due to the storm coming. I was set to fly ORD-SFO at 6AM tomorrow, first two flights got canceled. I had to reschedule and asked to be ticketed COS-SFO instead in a couple of weeks. Absolutely no problem to get rebooked at no extra cost and a city pair change was also no problem. Tickets COS-SFO are 4 times higher than what I paid ORD-SFO.

I guess when you don't expect much.. ;)

HeathrowGuy likes this.
  14. HeathrowGuy
    Original Member

HeathrowGuy Gold Member

Status Points:
    Praise the drSL for this glorious display of benevolence!

15. tommy777
    Original Member

tommy777 Co-founder

Status Points:
    Too early for happy hour ;)

HeathrowGuy likes this.
  16. genemk2

genemk2 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I've been happy with the move, and I was a sUA flier (although I would like to think that after over two and a half years after the merger, we can stop clinging onto pre-merger alliegances...).

While I initially did not like the look/feel of the sCO website, the functionality is much better than the sUA website used to be. I've gotten used to the look/feel, and really that isn't as important to me as functionality.

I get about 80% upgrade rates on CPUs, and I learn when I need to use an instrument or miles to support an upgrade, especially on high demand routes. I understand the upgrade rules much better than when it was sUA.

I have redeemed miles for more business/first award travel, because it's easier to search for award space.

My GPUs are clearing more frequently than before, on high-demand routes such as SFO-PEK/HKG. No significant delays, one cancellation due to WX which was reaccomodated on a partner airline (and a direct flight) plus original routing credit so I got lifetime and PQMs...so I was taken care of.

The only big thing I miss about sUA is the very generous complaint policy -- which meant you got hundreds of dollars of compensated travel for minor inconveniences. While that benefited me individually (once I got $250 for an international flight that was delayed by 40 minutes...and I didn't even write in...just happened automatically), that is not the way to do business and I'd rather have a healthy airline than one giving away vouchers to keep fliers. I would rather have consistent, good, service, which has been my experience over the last six months.

17. Flying Machine

Flying Machine Silver Member

Status Points:
    I am a UA Gold and have seen some benefits as well. I prefer to stay with UA, as I have been treated fairly well. I do know some tricks from being a 1K so I guess that helps a bit..

HeathrowGuy likes this.