One World vs Star Alliance Award

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Miles/Points' started by PAinNY, Mar 11, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. PAinNY
    Original Member

PAinNY Silver Member

Status Points:
    Hi again,

I posted a previous thread about transferring AX points to programs. This is for friends who would like to probably go to Australia. I got some great advice and also see the advantage of the Air Canada transfer. Now, being a newbie I first want to thank everyone for their help and patience.
    Here's my 2nd part of the question. I saw that on One World they could book a ticket for 150,000 miles for a trip under 25,000 miles and I looked at this MIA-CDG (stopover) CDG-HKG (stopover) HKG-SYD (stopover) SYD-MEL (stopover) MEL-AKL (stopover) AKL-LAX-PBI ....it came to just over 25,000 miles but I could work on it.
    Here's the question - how many miles would this cost in Business using Star Alliance. I can't seem to find a chart including stopovers. If anyone could point me in the right direction it would be much appreciated. I did find the Star Alliance Route Planner but couldn't find how many miles the reward would cost.
    Thanks again
    Pat

Funtodoimpossible likes this.
  2. Funtodoimpossible
    Original Member

Funtodoimpossible Gold Member

Status Points:
    The number is miles needed is determined by the program, its routing rules, and how you end up booking everything.

You have five stopovers and an open jaw. To get five stop overs on a single ticket you would need to book a Round the World (RTW) ticket. (I'm not sure if you can do an open jaw on a RTW ticket)

AC does not publish the number of miles needed for a RTW ticket, at least I haven't been able to find it online, but presuming it is similar to UA, it would be 200K for Y, and 300K for C.

The rest of this is presuming you are using AC's Aeroplan Points, if you are using US, UA, or CO, it may not be valid as each airline sets their own routing rules and redemption rates. Now if you split this into a couple of different tickets, you can get most of what you are looking for for less miles then a RTW. I believe you are permitted a stop over or an open jaw on a single award with AC outside of your destination.

The biggest issue with your itinerary is SYD->MEL. UA is the only Star Alliance carrier that flies that route and I don't believe they can carrier inter-Australia traffic.

Depending on what you actually want to do, you can probably construct a trip using a couple of round trip awards and one way awards to do what you actually want to do for less then the cost of a true RTW ticket.

Personally, I'd try to go with something like:
    Award Ticket 1 for 100K in C
    MIA->CDG (stopover)
    CDG->HKG (destination)
    HKG->MIA

and then nest a second award ticket for 80K in C
    HKG->SYD (stopover)
    SYD->AKL (destination)
    AKL->HKG

This would give me almost everything you are looking for except MEL for about 180K/person in C.

AC's award chart is zone based for Star Alliance awards and can be found:
    http://www1.aeroplan.com/use_your_miles/travel/flights/air_reward_chart.do?p=staralliance

AC also does offer one-way Star Alliance awards from the US & Canada so you can construct something that better meets your needs. http://www1.aeroplan.com/static/pdf/air_reward_chart/StarAlliance-OneWay-RewardChart-EN.pdf

AC's award booking engine http://www1.aeroplan.com/adr/AirBooking.do will show you the availablity and the cost for the different trips. You would want to use the multicity option when constructing this type of itinerary.

PAinNY and Chimpy like this.
  3. PAinNY
    Original Member

PAinNY Silver Member

Status Points:
    Wow - I am overwhelmed with the knowledge shared here. Thanks so much for your help. I have lots of reading to do.

Thank you!
    Pat

miles and smiles likes this.
  4. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    On CO a C RTW is 220K points. They have the best RTW rates that I've seen in *A for C and F.

An open jaw is permitted under CO rules.

PAinNY likes this.
  5. PAinNY
    Original Member

PAinNY Silver Member

Status Points:
    So, One world really is really a mile ahead (no pun intended)150,000 vs 220,000. For someone who has many too many miles it wouldn't make a difference...but then again....for someone who finds them hard to come by it makes all the difference in the world. I am in the "hard to come by group" as we don't fly that often.
    Again, many thanks for all the help.
    Pat

miles and smiles likes this.