One World - discard final leg

Discussion in 'oneworld' started by SouthernX, Apr 5, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. SouthernX

SouthernX Active Member

Status Points:
    Does anyone know if there is any problem with booking a round-the-world ticket and discarding the final leg? I want to go ICN-JNB-LAX. If I book round-the-world back to ICN the business class ticket is about $2,000 less than booking the straight ticket ICN-JNB-LAX.

2. gpaya
    Original Member

gpaya Gold Member

Status Points:
    Shouldn't be an issue - it is considered throwaway ticketing, though, and is technically against the T&Cs. So the airline has full right to not award miles etc.

3. jerry a. laska
    Original Member

jerry a. laska Gold Member

Status Points:
    Since you are talking about booking you will have to have the ticket issued so that it starts and ends in Korea. You will be violating the fare rules if you don't use all the coupons and return to your originating country unless a rule allows you to return to another country (for example, as with the middle east).

That said as with throwaway, hidden city ticketing, and similar practices as long as you don't habitually do something similar odds are that no one will notice or care.

Horse likes this.
  4. SouthernX

SouthernX Active Member

Status Points:
    Ok - thanks for the response. I don't care about the points - I'm just trying to find a way to book the trip without breaking the bank. Most of the posted fares are over $10k. This seemed like a good alternative.

5. jerry a. laska
    Original Member

jerry a. laska Gold Member

Status Points:
    You routing will be at least 4 continents ASIA-AFRICA-EUR-NA-ASIA A DONE4 ex ICN is $9124++. A DGLOB34 is the same price.

There is no way to get from JNB-LAX without touching EUR so you have to pay for that continent also.

Horse likes this.
  6. Lufthansa Flyer
    Original Member

Lufthansa Flyer Gold Member

Status Points:
    Be careful that there are no hidden fees for walking away from a leg of a trip. I know LH reserves the right to charge a fee if a leg of a flight is dropped off (I believe it may be as high as $400 in LH's case). But as others have said, you'd need to be a habitual offender to raise too many eyebrows.

7. dhammer53
    Original Member

dhammer53 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Sorry. I'm not going to let you off the hook with this remark. ;)

SC Flier likes this.