One World Circle Pac or Circle Asia One Reward One Paid

Discussion in 'oneworld' started by Muerl, Apr 21, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Muerl
    Original Member

Muerl Gold Member

Status Points:
    I am looking to plan my honeymoon around australia and south east asia. I should have enough AA miles to pay for 1 of the two components of it, and then would need to pay cash for the other one.

Is this sane? Or am I walking into a mess? Routing would look something like this:

In the "Circle Pac" option

LAX -> AKL -> BNE -> SIN -> BKK -> LAX

or in "Circle Asia" option

AKL -> BNE -> SIN -> BKK -> HKG -> AKL

This all would be for most of Q4 2011, am I to late for this?

If anyone has suggestions for good tools to look into this, I would apricate them. I attempted to look on the AA site and the One World site they wanted to direct me to a phone call, which seemed like not the right path. I have read about Booking *A flights, but I'm not familiar with OW, is there a similar option to the ANA route here?

Thanks all, and feel free to tell me I am a crazy n00b.

2. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

DestinationDavid Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Maybe it's just me (and it very well could be!) but I'm a little confused on what you're doing and what you need. :confused:

You say you're using miles, but you seem to be focused on the Oneworld Circle Pac/Asia tickets, which you'd pay for. So are you using miles, or are you buying tickets? Do you plan on buying a ticket and using miles to book the other person?

What kind of miles are you using if that's what route you're going? The tools you can use to book these trips will vary greatly depending on if you're paying cash or using miles.

I think nailing those issues down solidly will allow others to guide you in the right direction. :)

3. Muerl
    Original Member

Muerl Gold Member

Status Points:
    Okay so, Cash booking of a circle ticket and an AA Miles booking of a Zone 5 or Zone 6 oneWorld Aware for the other.

I hope that clears that up. I suspected the tooling would lean for one or the other, that why I was worried it would all be to complicated.

4. moa999
    Original Member

moa999 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Difficult but not impossible.

My father is flying on a paid oneworld Circle Asia ex-HK booked via AA, with my mother accompanying on a distance based Qantas oneworld award in F/J (a lot of extra points as otherwise mother would be in Y for the five intra US flights).

I suspect doing this over the phone will be the only way.

5. infoworks
    Original Member

infoworks Silver Member

Status Points:
    My TA organises these for me, but somewhere in the dark recesses of my mind I think there are some location rules, re north Asia stops and routing.

6. BrewerSEA

BrewerSEA Silver Member

Status Points:
    If I were to attempt this, I would start by trying to find the award flights, probably KVS or the BA website. I assume you are doing this in Economy? You'll likely only be flying on CX and QF, maybe AA/BA/JL if availability forces you to take less than the most direct potential routing. Once you find the award flights, make sure there is L availability on all of your flights for the Circle portion of your trip.

For the first option, the best routing would probably be something like LAX-AKL-xSYD-BNE-SIN-BKK-xHKG-LAX.
    Substitute options LAX-AKL if availability does not permit this include LAX-xSYD-AKL, LAX-xMEL-AKL, LAX-xBNE-xSYD-AKL, LAX-xDFW-xSYD-AKL, LAX-xDFW-xBNE-xSYD-AKL.

If BKK-xHKG-LAX isn't available, substitutes include BKK-xNRT-LAX, BKK-xHKG-xPVG-LAX, BKK-xNRT-xHKG-LAX, BKK-xHKG-xSFO-LAX, BKK-xNRT-xSFO-LAX etc.

For the second option, the best routing would probably be AKL-xSYD-BNE-SIN-BKK-xSYD-AKL. On this routing BA flies BKK-SYD as well as QF.

Good luck!

7. Muerl
    Original Member

Muerl Gold Member

Status Points:
    So after alot of trying to find award space into or out of Australia / NZ, on both oneWorld (QF and CX) and *A, I wound up doing something radically different.

Booked *A BOS->SFO->NRT-> SIN return BKK->HKG (stop over)->YYZ->BOS which I barely had enough for both of us.

Option 2 might still be a possibility, though turned inside out.

SIN -> BNE -> AKL -> BNE ->BKK But after I spent a lot of time looking at LCC flights, thinking something like

SIN -> AKL -> CNS drive/rent car OOL -> KUL Followed by a "Screw around in South East Asia for a bit" eventually arriving in BKK to fly home. Because its less flights, and potentially less money to pay for both of us than to use AA/BA miles and pay for the other half.

I guess I mutated my self out of this forum, but I am not sure where to suggest a change to though.

Thanks for all your suggestions.

*EDIT*

I realized I forgot something. I have seen rumor (aka conflicting press releases) that JetStar Flights can be booked by One World Partner rewards, but only if they have a QF code share,

1 is this true?
    2 how do you tell if something has a QF Code Share?

Thanks again :)

8. BrewerSEA

BrewerSEA Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yes, QF coded JQ flights have been allowed on AA partner and Oneworld awards since last October. At least one person reported on FT booking and flying multiple QF coded JQ flights on a Oneworld award.

I'm not certain how to find QF coded JQ flights with award availability. If I were attempting this, honestly, I would probably figure out availability on my other segments and then call AA and have them search for availability, keeping in mind JQ alternate routings in case my first choice routes were unavailable.