One Winter Day in Copenhagen

Discussion in 'Europe' started by wanderwoman, Feb 24, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. wanderwoman
    Original Member

wanderwoman Silver Member

Status Points:
    Scored one of those Delta deals to CPH the second weekend in March. I'm sure there are other fliers who were just as lucky so I won't be the only one grateful for some ideas on your favorite things to do there.
    Please share your slice of what to do in Copenhagen on a winter day.

k2o likes this.
  2. wanderwoman
    Original Member

Status Points:
    So there is nothing to do in Copenhagen? I guess there is always beer.

FlyingVizzer and k2o like this.
  3. savydog
    Original Member

savydog Gold Member

Status Points:
    wanderwoman likes this.
  4. savydog
    Original Member

savydog Gold Member

Status Points:
    Beer is good [​IMG]

k2o likes this.
  5. Wurm
    Original Member

Wurm Silver Member

Status Points:
    If you're there on the weekend of the 12th, there are many music options on Saturday, from 'My Fair Lady' in the old Opera House to Swedish indie pop singer Håkan Hellström at the Danish Radio Concert Hall (a gorgeous building by acclaimed architect Jean Nouvel)

6. wanderwoman
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I will be there the weekend of the 18th but checking out the music options is still a great idea! A look at the Opera House or Radio Concert Hall would seem like a desirable option regardless. Thanks!

7. SirRagnar
    Original Member

SirRagnar Silver Member

Status Points:
    In late March it can be half-decent weather, but odds are the weather is not very pleasant so I'd probably plan for something that doesn't require you to stay outside all day.
    If you tell me a little about your interests and what you are looking for when traveling I can surely help you out with some tips. I have lived in Copenhagen for the last 10 years.

8. wanderwoman
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Thanks! I enjoy music; I would like to try the local cuisine at a restaurant with good value not overpriced. I would enjoy a good pub, art events (especially an artist reception), hanging where locals hang. Considering I will only be there one day, it won't take much to keep me busy :)

9. SirRagnar
    Original Member

SirRagnar Silver Member

Status Points:
    In that case I suggest you reserve a table here: http://www.skindbuksen.dk/en/

[​IMG]

It is a very cosy pub serving very classic Danish food in the center of Copenhagen. There are other similar, especially around Nyhavn, but this is my favorite as it is more local than most other restaurant/pubs in the center of Copenhagen, the price is very reasonable and the atmosphere is excellent (in the evenings at 8pm a guy named Johnny will come with his guitar and entertain - very entertaining). I come there often with friends. Try to avoid the restaurants near Nyhavn as they are highly touristy and expensive.
    You need to reserve a table as it is quite popular and if you have troubles with that let me know and I can call them and reserve a table for you. It is good for lunch as well as dinner, but generally more tourists are there for lunch compared to dinner.

Art is not my specialty, but there are numerous galleries in Copenhagen and often there will be a reception. I can try to look something up for that weekend and let you know.

This page is an excellent source for events and reviews of things to do in Copenhagen: http://www.aok.dk/english
    (unfortunately not very optimized for English I see :( )

10. wanderwoman
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Wow, thank you for all your information; and even a picture of the restaurant. I will try to make it there. The link is helpful also. I think your work is done here....and much appreciated!!! I'll let you know what I end up discovering.

SirRagnar likes this.
  11. upgrademe
    Original Member

upgrademe Active Member

Status Points:
    I also scored the Delta deal and will there in a few weeks. I've got 2 days to spend in Copenhagen. What more is there to do? Any must-see attractions/sites?

SirRagnar, do you have any other restaurant recommendations? Will take a look at the one you suggested. Thanks!

12. FlyingVizzer
    Original Member

FlyingVizzer Silver Member

Status Points:
    I am heading out to CPH this week thanks to the delta deal as well - I'm writing stuff down on places to go as we speak. So where are the cool clubs/bars to go out at night?

13. SirRagnar
    Original Member

SirRagnar Silver Member

Status Points:
    The best places to go out is in the two areas Nørrebro and Vesterbro. Vesterbro is closer to the center of the city and it a very lively place - especially at night.
    It is on Vesterbro that you will find Vega as you mentioned in another thread, but there are numerous other good locations in walking distance from each other - or rent a bike and do as we do, bicycle around between the bars and clubs.

14. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    I love to walk along the pedestrian shopping street and treat some of the Danish design home stores like museums. There are also some fun jewelry stores that have modern Danish design items in silver, etc.