One Way vs RT on Intl

Discussion in 'Newbies' started by edekba, Sep 5, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. edekba

edekba Gold Member

Status Points:
    Does anyone know why (or a way around) One Way are not 1/2 the price of a RT for intl trips. I know with domestic; you can fly any carrier you want to a different one back and the price is the same.

While trying to pick and choose intl flights, RT are cheaper if you fly the same carrier ... why is that

2. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    I think that your initial premise is actually incorrect. There are many, many markets within the US where fares are not just half price one way of the discounted round trip price.

Competition is generally the reason things like this happen. If none of the airlines have any reason to make things cheaper due to competition then they likely won't.

edekba likes this.
  3. edekba

edekba Gold Member

Status Points:
    Hmm I guess, but in my experience it is so. Esp with Virgin/Southwest they all just quote one way prices and a RT is just OW*2.

Even when I booked my LAX-NYC (AA flights) prices were quoted one way and the total was just me choosing which OW i wanted.

I guess that's why I assume it is the such.

4. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yes, WN and VX (AFAIK) have a pricing model where the RT fare is the sum of the two one-ways, and you can just buy one-ways if you want. Other carriers seem to do the same in markets where they compete with WN and VX, which might explain why your LAX-JFK (?) flights on AA were priced that way. Other examples would be for UA SFO-LAS and SFO-LAX, where they compete with WN and VX. I sometimes pick and choose among carriers on these routes, flying VX one way and UA back or vice versa depending on pricing.

edekba likes this.
  5. edekba

edekba Gold Member

Status Points:
    That makes sense; most of my flights originate from LAX/SFO.

6. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Just look at markets where there is no competition from VX/WN/B6/F9 and it is easy to see domestic trips where the prices are much higher one-way, even from LAX/SFO. SFO-IAH is a pretty good one. If you want the non-stop flights one way, a market UA has a monopoly on, then you'll pay a LOT more than if you will take a connection. But if you take the non-stop flights then the round-trip fares (assuming 3-day or Saturday night minimum stay) are more reasonable. Still not great, but better.

edekba likes this.
  7. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    The underlying reason is that such price discrimination, primarily of leisure versus business travelers, increases profits by offering higher prices to those who are willing/able to pay more versus less price sensitive travelers.

IDGflygirl and ACMM like this.
  8. edekba

edekba Gold Member

Status Points:
    so leisure traveling = less price sensitive? I would assume the opposite.
    If its for work; you go when you have to and come back when its done. Price is 2ndary.
    Leisure (at for me) is getting the most bang for the buck.

9. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Sorry for the confusion. "Typo" at the end has been fixed.

10. desamo

desamo Gold Member

Status Points:
    Insofar as people tend to pick destination then shop for better prices within that destination -- yes.

edekba likes this.
  11. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Nah...people will pick a destination but when they find that the fare is $1000 instead of the $300 they expected many will cancel the trip, not just suck it up. A business traveler with a meeting in Houston is going to be flying in on the non-stop in the morning and home on the non-stop in the evening just about every time, even if it is $1200. Just the way it is.

IDGflygirl and edekba like this.
  12. edekba

edekba Gold Member

Status Points:
    If i picked a destination; and prices are 1000 vs 300; I'd just pick a different destination. If it was was 400 i'd think about changing the days a bit to see if it would work. That's about the upper limit for me...

13. desamo

desamo Gold Member

Status Points:
    That's more what I meant vs. what Seth meant. Both are valid points.

Many people have fixed vacation days (I feel sad for them). One person I know has to turn in all expected vacation plans for the following year in mid-December. That's batman.

edekba likes this.
  14. edekba

edekba Gold Member

Status Points:
    That's me :-( I have to take 2 weeks off once a year and that has to be submited the year prior. Then I get a few personal/sick days the rest of the year.

:(

15. desamo

desamo Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm so sorry. I feel for you. :(

I get 3-1/2 weeks + 1 week that's not movable + sometimes another week.

AAL and edekba like this.
  16. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    It sucks, but there's no reason they have to specify where they are going, just pick dates, right?

Given a random set of dates odds are I can make vacations work into that schedule without too much trouble and without breaking the bank.

IDGflygirl likes this.
  17. desamo

desamo Gold Member

Status Points:
    True, but maybe they picked the date based on the expectation of where you wanted to go, too. In some systems like this, you may not get your first choice of dates, either.

edekba likes this.
  18. edekba

edekba Gold Member

Status Points:
    food chain, big fish gets 3 to 4 weeks and gets first dibs. While little fish gets 2 weeks and leftover dates.

True, you kinda just roll the dice and see where you want to go costs how much. Example, I lucked out and got week of NY off through 14th of jan. Initially we wanted to do Bangkok/SGN ... but that might now change to YVR/SEA or maybe BKK/SYD depending upon how much money the 3rd/4th friend wants to spend since me & the gf is using award tix.
    I intially wanted Xmas & NY week off (2 extra days!) but alas someone beat me to the punch.

19. petrapenang

petrapenang Silver Member

Status Points:
    My experience with RT internationally is buying RT ticket ends up cheaper than buying OW, not always but most times so when I had to travel OW, I usually end up getting RT tickets then burn the return. Not many times but a handful. Done that with CO (prior to merge), Delta, SQ and MAS.

20. sendbillmoney

sendbillmoney Silver Member

Status Points:
    Opinion: If airlines are charging greater than half a round trip for one way travel, it's because the airlines can get it. If they couldn't, they'd adjust their pricing models. Some travelers have to be able to travel at the drop of a hat. If their 5-day trip to close a corporate deal falls apart on day 1, they can't just sit and wait for days for their previously scheduled flight. They go home on day 1. That flexibility costs, be it foreign or domestic travel.

21. edekba

edekba Gold Member

Status Points:
    thanks.

Well does anyone know of an effective way to piece together an intl itinerary? A group of us is going to Asia, few on award tix and a few on paid tix and we would like the time of arrival/departure to be as close as possible.

22. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Easiest way to beat the high one-way fares is usually points. I've got a cousin trying to get from from BKK to Florida and he's seeing $1000+ across the board. Buying points in the United program can get that award for ~$700 without much trouble.

As for lining up the cheapest award and revenue tickets on the same flights, good luck. That rarely works out well IME.

IDGflygirl and edekba like this.
  23. Singapore Flyer

Singapore Flyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    Something that we have done and was mentioned at FTU, do you really need to fly the same carrier? If you leaving an arriving within a few hours it may work to go separately. I would find the relatively cheapest revenue ticket whose itin looks good and match it up with my award second. If you are flex on cabin, should get pretty good availability. You mentioned SEA - OW and *A have some pretty good flights towards that area that could overlap or even just within *A (SQ, UA, LH, TG, OZ). Or just get to a major international gateau like HKG or SG and figure it out via awards, budget airlines and the like.

24. edekba

edekba Gold Member

Status Points:
    well i know for sure they arent gonna be on the same flights, TQ costs too much. But just trying to find good times so we depart/arrive within a few hours of each other at a good price point is a challenge.