One way rentals

Discussion in 'National | Emerald Club' started by chef4u, Oct 24, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. chef4u
    Original Member

chef4u Silver Member

Status Points:
    Looking to pick up at SFO and drop off at PDX. Is a $300 drop off fee the norm?

2. webdes03

webdes03 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Per National's website:
    Can't speak for PDX, but SFO is among the most expensive domestic US cities to rent a car (tax wise)... you're likely going to pay the one-way drop fee, the SFO taxes, and PDX taxes. That said, I plugged in a one way SFO-PDX for 11/1-11/7, and there's no "Drop Fee" on my quote, just the 11% taxes, tourism fees, bus fees, and sales tax... though it's still $200+ in taxes and fees on a $500 rental.

3. newbluesea
    Original Member

newbluesea Gold Member

Status Points:
    The taxes and fees are reduced to about a third of that quoted if the renter picks up the car at a city location as opposed to SFO.

traveltoomuch and webdes03 like this.
  4. alfagirl

alfagirl Gold Member

Status Points:
    The airport locations have a lot of extra charges. Yesterday I saved $26 on a weekend rental by picking up the car from a city location (Olive ave. in Burbank vs. LAX or BUR).
    I booked a one way for a friend, Burbank to SEA and the drop off fee was $250. I do not know if the corp account used got me a discount.

5. traveltoomuch

traveltoomuch Silver Member

Status Points:
    The "norm" may vary widely between companies. At least price Avis and Hertz for comparison. Maybe price it out on Costco travel, too. Definitely look at off-airport rentals, and if you're spending any time in SF or PDX at either end of the trip, look at splitting the rental: use a local rental for a few days and switch to a one-way (or vice-versa).