One way rentals and drop off charges

Discussion in 'Other Car Rental Programs' started by chef4u, Feb 15, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. chef4u
    Original Member

chef4u Silver Member

Status Points:
    Looking to pick up at SFO and drop off at PDX in December Weekly rates are ok, but the $300 charge for one way is ridiculous. Any suggestions, as I'm not in a hurry, but still looking for a deal. As always, guidance and advice is most appreciated

gregm likes this.
  2. mattsteg
    Original Member

mattsteg Gold Member

Status Points:
    I use my national free days for one-ways. Finding a reasonable paid rate is a crapshoot.

3. chef4u
    Original Member

chef4u Silver Member

Status Points:
    No free days in inventory as of today :mad:

4. traveltoomuch

traveltoomuch Silver Member

Status Points:
    Perhaps it's just too early? The companies may not load inventory for one-way movements 'til later.

Have you checked off-airport locations? The SF area is littered with rental car counters, some of which are very accessible from BART. For local rentals, off-airport locations in the SF area are often much cheaper than SFO even before you consider the silly SFO transportation surcharge. I suggest the San Bruno Avis (BART accessible, normal business hours only) or any of the offices around Union Square (long/late hours). There's a Hertz at the Oakland Marriott, also very BART accessible. Palo Alto has a full set of rental companies, and rates there can be very different from rates further north; the downside is that you may need to take Caltrain and get the rental car companies to come get you from the station.

And, assuming you're spending some time in either SFO or PDX at either end and not spending the whole week on the road: have you looked at splitting the rental, doing a local rental at one or both ends, and limiting the number of days that you're in the one-way contract? Some companies' one-way surcharge is applied per-day rather than per-rental, so splitting can save money.

mattsteg suggested free days: remember that Hertz has a points-based free rental program. I don't think they have any partners that let you transfer points in, but it's worth checking.

Fair warning: I've had off-airport counters in the SF area run out of cars. Unless you're just switching contracts (bringing in the car you had for a local rental to check it in, only to immediately check it back out for the one-way part), I suggest having a backup reservation somewhere.

Good luck.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2014
    bigx0 likes this.