one-way rental recommendations?

Discussion in 'Newbies' started by servo, Jan 28, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. servo

servo Silver Member

Status Points:
    Has anyone called a rental location and asked them if they have one of their cars located at "Location X" and would they offer me a decent one-way rate to bring it back to them after you use it for the amount of days you need it?

Here's my situation: I really want to do an open-jaw itinerary flying from MCO-OMA, rent a car in OMA, visit Mount Rushmore drive up to ND and then take Amtrak from the western part of North Dakota into MSP, where I'll visit relatives and won't need a car, and then I'll go MSP-MCO back home. The snag so far in my plans is that it would cost me $700 for a compact car rental for 3-4 days, simply because it's a one-way rental. My dropoff location is likely to be Williston, ND.

I used to work for Avis in college (15 years ago), and I know that cars are owned by certain locations, and cars on my lot owned by others were considered "foreign cars". I don't know the likelihood that a Williston based car would be in Omaha, but I suppose it would be worth a shot. If they gave me a standard rental rate for that car class (or below if a big/luxury car they wanted back), I don't care what I drive, as long as it's running properly and clean. Anyone done this before, or have other recommendations?

jwsky, flyingdawg and Gargoyle like this.
  2. RapidTravelChai

RapidTravelChai Silver Member

Status Points:
    I do not have an answer to the specific you gave. Sometimes a corporate rental code can eliminate one-way fees, my old employer had that which saved me a lot. If you work for a company with rental codes, you may want to give that a try, or search for published ones if you are comfortable using them.

servo likes this.
  3. bqkali

bqkali Active Member

Status Points:
    While not a guaranteed method, I have had tremendous luck in the past by entering a name-your-own-price bid in Priceline on one-way rentals, prices ranging anywhere from $20-35/day. That's more than I'd normally pay for a Priceline rental, but considerably cheaper than standard rental rates. Keep in mind these are nonrefundable rates.

4. desamo

desamo Gold Member

Status Points:
    You can also ask if there's a difference in dropoff fees if you route a certain way. For the wholesale rate we used to have, if someone wanted to do both ITO and KOA on the big island, picking up in ITO and returning to KOA had no dropoff fee, but the reverse was $150.

servo likes this.
  5. jwsky
    Original Member

jwsky Silver Member

Status Points:
    try national rental

6. catgirl
    Original Member

catgirl Gold Member

Status Points:
    IME, National has always been the best for 1 way rentals.

7. mattsteg
    Original Member

mattsteg Gold Member

Status Points:
    National free rentals are great for 1-ways. Our contract with them is not great for one-ways, though.

8. servo

servo Silver Member

Status Points:
    National apparently either doesn't do one-ways to Williston, or they're just not promoting it. I looked at National first since I have status with them via here, and Hertz as well due to the status match.

9. andrewhyde

andrewhyde Active Member

Status Points:
    The only time I've actually been able to do this (or really needed to) was a camper van in Oz. Good to know National is the one to use if I ever needed it.

10. Ed Chandler
    Original Member

Ed Chandler Silver Member

Status Points:
    Agreed, ... if you're comfortable doing that. I'm not, but I know for a fact you can shave at least a third off of that rate.

11. knick1959

knick1959 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Funny, I just booked a car from ITO to KOA for mid-may. I was bummed to see an extra $70 fee on my quote. I've had great luck renting at off-airport sites and returning to the airport in various cities, and Avis has never charged a fee. This time they did.

12. desamo

desamo Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yes, make sure you know the fee. I'm just saying that the contract we had had no fee for ITO-KOA, but did from KOA-ITO.

13. ella
    Original Member

ella Silver Member

Status Points:
    I have used National for one-way rental: Picked up at SLC and dropped off at DEN. They did not charge extra for one-way, just the regular daily rate and fees. I am Emerald Exec so don't know if that made a difference, but I would think not.

14. knick1959

knick1959 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Gotcha. The trick is, when I was planning this out (months ago) and was running through options to make sure I COULD do this and to estimate our total costs while evaluation options, I SWEAR I was quoted a price without the extra fee. Perhaps this is something Avis just started adding? Not sure, but I will do some more research (while holding on to the reservation I have).

Looks like I should explore National for this trip and beyond ...

15. knick1959

knick1959 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I know it's been awhile, but I did check National just today for the same rental I've already reserved via Avis. This is for mid May and involves picking a car up in Hilo (ITO) and dropping it off 3 days later (just under 3 full days) at Kona (KOA).

Avis' quote included a $75 "one way" drop off fee, which surprised me; this also slightly discounted via my corporate ID code (I always try it both ways) AND prepaying. Filling out the same reservation for National, I got a quote that totaled $1 less than Avis, which also included a $65 drop off fee. This, with no loyalty program code.

So. I registered for the Emerald Club. Easy enough. Trying it one more time, a 10% discount on the base rate resulted in some potential savings, but the $65 drop off fee still was there. Bummer. In all, National's quote ended up being $22 less (at a ~$300 cost). Next time I'll check them before I book; as it is, I've already reserved and paid, so I'll leave things alone this time.