One way plane tickets still cause additional TSA screening?

Discussion in 'Travel Security' started by MSPeconomist, Dec 13, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    I am considering purchasing two one way tickets on different alliances for a simple domestic round trip. I am a VFF and HVC with one carrier and enrolled in their new trusted traveler program with GE. For the other, I would be flying without their status at any level but using low-level status from a foreign carrier. I am a USA citizen and resident. The tickets would be purchased with a credit card that I have had for a long time. I always use either my passport or GE card as airport ID when I travel.

Is this likely to get me a SSSS or other enhanced scrutiny? I remember a time when OW tickets were an automatic red flag but I have not heard anything about this in years. Is it still considered to be an issue?

marcwint55 and jbcarioca like this.
  2. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have done several one-way award tickets this year and never got special screening because of it.

3. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    Last two I did I got special treatment, but that was a couple of years ago.

jbcarioca likes this.
  4. NYBanker
    Original Member

NYBanker Gold Member

Status Points:
    MSPE, you'll be fine.

Speaking with several TSA agents, it seems pretty clear that the SSSS program has been reduced substantially (almost eliminated) over the past 2+ years. While buying one-ways used to be a near shoe-in for the Ss, the program is now limited at most airports to those that are perceived as extremely high risk, who typically get "handed off" through the screening process.

Earlier this year, I flew a one-way, paid the day prior by a third party, on US from LGA-CLT-TLH (yuck) using my A3 *S card for points and no bags checked. No problems at all for me.

5. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Great minds think alike. I would be doing this to get from A3 *Silver to *Gold. I only need a few status miles and splitting the ticket gives me a better schedule for the same price.

6. NYBanker
    Original Member

NYBanker Gold Member

Status Points:
    Nice.

I'll hit A3 *G on the 27th! Hopefully I will get a 2014 expiry!

7. Travel2Food
    Original Member

Travel2Food Silver Member

Status Points:
    Shouldn't be any problem at all. As others have said, the SSSS program has been really cut back. It seems to be tied to those on a list, and folks that annoy the screeners (those that don't act like sheep at the checkpoint). I've used any number of one-ways over the last few years - when I was flying WN from BWI-SAT on a regular basis the only tickets I'd buy were one-ways. I've also used them when I've needed to ferry my aircraft to a particular city for maintenance with undetermined return date.

Cash + One-Way may still trigger things, but I can't recall ever paying cash for an airline ticket.

8. Captain Oveur
    Original Member

Captain Oveur Gold Member

Status Points:
    Another testimony to one-ways not equating into automatic SSSS. A few years ago, I thought I was destined for one when I bought a one-way from Canada in to The U.S., but didn't get one.

SSSS still around, but it's much more random now than it used to be.

9. goalie
    Original Member

goalie Gold Member

Status Points:
    Agreed. I purchased 2 one way tickets SFO-BOS/BOS-SFO over Thanksgiving weekend and neither resulted in any additional SSSScreening*

*other than my normal orthopedic shoe swab as I don't remove my shoes

10. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Congrats and please let me know the date you get. I decided to do this in early January in hopes of getting the additional year, but I know it will be months before I have the *Gold card in hand.

11. Stranger in the Alps

Stranger in the Alps Active Member

Status Points:
    Bumping this thread because I'm curious if there's any difference in booking two one-way INTERNATIONAL awards (MSP mentioned domestic). I'll be going MCI-CDG, then BCN-MCI next spring both on one-way award tickets from United and am concerned about some screening hassles I've heard from other people.

12. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    It is almost never an issue for people who have GE because all their PNR's are in the system already and automatically linked for TSA purposes. I know that because when I have unconnected PNR's for activity within a day or so of a GE entry I am always asked to choose which flight I am on. That is IME only YMMV

deltagoldLass and marcwint55 like this.
  13. Stranger in the Alps

Stranger in the Alps Active Member

Status Points:
    You'll have to forgive me. GE?

14. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    Sorry for using acronyms. Global Entry, the US system for accelerating entry to the US when arriving from foreign countries by air.

deltagoldLass and marcwint55 like this.
  15. marcwint55

marcwint55 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I often use a one way ticket and have never had any issues because of it.

16. kw335
    Original Member

kw335 Silver Member

Status Points:
    What's the difference between SSSS and the usual "massage" performed by the Smurfs? Same $hi*, I say ...