One Way From Europe to New York

Discussion in 'Newbies' started by RayLF, Mar 23, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. RayLF

RayLF Member

Status Points:
    Hi, This is my first post since as I've only recently discovered milepoint.

Is there a way to find one-way rewards on *A carriers from European cities to New York City. Do you have to go to each carrier and check what is available, if it's at all possible. I have a pretty open trip and need a one way ticket back to New York. Is there a specific carrier that is known for having good deals with miles from Europe. I'm coming back mid-July and would like to book the ticket soon, as I depart April 13th. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.

misman and JohnDeere19 like this.
  2. JohnDeere19
    Original Member

JohnDeere19 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Welcome to MP RayLF!

What program do you have your miles in? Some airlines don't even allow one way award while other do so if you could give us more detail, we would be better equipped to help you.

3. RayLF

RayLF Member

Status Points:
    Thanks. My miles were all with Continental, so I guess they are all with United now. I've always flown Continental because Newark airport is so convenient and they had a hub there.

JohnDeere19 and infamousdx like this.
  4. infamousdx

infamousdx Silver Member

Status Points:
    That's great... They have one-way award availability and you can book right from www.united.com

JohnDeere19 likes this.
  5. JohnDeere19
    Original Member

JohnDeere19 Gold Member

Status Points:
    +1

6. RayLF

RayLF Member

Status Points:
    Ok, thanks, that's great. I've looked at some different cities, and the mileage is basically the same, just different availability and airlines. I'm thinking 50,000 miles for business is a better deal than the 30,000 for coach, also much more comfortable on a long trip. I found much better availability in June and August. Is that because July is a much busier month for the airlines to Europe.

desamo and JohnDeere19 like this.
  7. JohnDeere19
    Original Member

JohnDeere19 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I personally agree that 50k for business is better than 30k for economy.

8. Quasiconvexity
    Original Member

Quasiconvexity Gold Member

Status Points:
    Definitely worth the premium to travel in business. What city are you departing from?

YULtide and SC Flier like this.
  9. cennas
    Original Member

cennas Gold Member

Status Points:
    Welcome to MP RayLF!

10. LizzyDragon84
    Original Member

LizzyDragon84 Gold Member

Status Points:
    The Olympics are in July, so that's probably having a big effect on availability.

RayLF, Gargoyle and wrxmom like this.
  11. desamo

desamo Gold Member

Status Points:
  12. RayLF

RayLF Member

Status Points:
  13. ducster
    Original Member

ducster Gold Member

Status Points:
  14. rwoman
    Original Member

rwoman Gold Member

Status Points:
    RayLF,

Welcome to MP!!

:)

15. RayLF

RayLF Member

Status Points:
    Ok, so another question (should I start a new thread?). As is typical, my plans have completely changed and I need to come back to the US around May 15th. I will be in Barcelona, so I was looking at rewards there, which are all readily available so I can still book with miles (thank again for the help, now I have an idea what I'm doing). I also noticed that American is offering bonus miles from BCN to MIA. I don't have status on any airline and I plan on doing a lot more traveling in the next year or 2, almost like a gap year, and although American isn't great out of Newark, it is extremely reasonable and does offer a ton of flights from LGA. If I book roundtrip BCN to MIA, Business class ticket BCN to MIA ($1805) and Economy Flexible MIA to BCN (and get a refund when I get home), and then MIA to EWR in couch for $125 and probably upgrade at the airport, there is no one if first on the flight, it looks like I could qualify for the gold status in a status challenge. I would be about at about 7500 points so I don't think the Platinum would work, but I would have almost a full 90 days to get in another 2500 qualifying points. Also there is a 10000 mile bonus now from BCN to MIA each way. Does this make any sense? Is there a way I can get in the 2500 points on this trip as well. Oh, this will also help with a spend bonus on a credit card and get double points when I book. Thanks again :)

16. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    You should check whether MIA-BCN is operated by AA or IB. The challenge probably requires AA flights only, no codeshares.

How do you expect to be upgraded on AA from MIA (hub) to EWR on an extremely cheap fare as a non elite?

If you book a RT and then try to refund the return portion, you risk having the entire itinerary refared with little if any refund. In principle, you could even be charged some additional fare if the cost of an unrestricted OW is more than your RT ticket was.