One Way Car Rental Help/Suggestions??

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by nirradical, Nov 9, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. nirradical

nirradical Silver Member

I need a one-way car rental from anywhere in the Bay Area (preferably SJC) to Portland, OR. Pickup Sunday Dec 1 and Dropoff Monday Dec 9 (or Dec 8 if cheaper for a 1 week rental). I know one-way car rentals are not cheap! The best rate I've found so far is $472.95 through AAA with Thrifty. Does anyone have any suggestions??? I am a member of just about every car rental, airline, and hotel program and have several travel related credit cards. Thanks!!!
  2. Gardyloo
    Original Member

Gardyloo Gold Member

Usually I'd try Hotwire for cheap one-ways, but I just looked and your AAA rate is $100 less than their cheapest.

On several occasions I've phoned various rental car stations on the day before the rental to ask if they had any out-of-state cars that they wanted to return, and have negotiated an excellent deal. This has to be on the phone and with the renting station, not the central booking office or online. If you get a deal, then just cancel your existing reservation.
    MX likes this.