One Way *A Award Advice: USA from Asia via Europe

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by nieder2, May 31, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. nieder2
    Original Member

nieder2 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'm looking for a little advice on an award booking I'd like to make soon for travel sometime next spring. I'd like to redeem 2 F seats one-way on CX from SAN-(Gateway)-HKG-BKK. Stay in BKK for a few days then buy a 2 one ways to HKT which would be the destination. For the return I'd want 2 F one-way *A awards (redeeming UA miles) from HKT-Europe-SAN. I understand I can't do stopovers on the one-way award but I'd like to try out as many F products as I can and work in <24 hour stops when possible.

Is there a way I can validate a routing or find out if I exceed the 115% MPM short of calling the international call center and dealing with them (2p for now)? I've been using ANA tool to search for availability. Ideally my *A routing would go something like this:

HKT-BKK-XXX(some Asia gateway)-FRA-USA-SAN. I'd definitely like to exit BKK on TG F to try the Lounge there and exit FRA on LH to try the FCT. In between, I was thinking SQ, LX, or OZ would all be great. What will be my limitations (or is it possible) on doing a routing like this for the USA-ASIA award rate (which will go down to 70k June 15)?

Thanks for any help or advice. I couldn't find any posts dedicated to one-way *A F awards in a search.

2. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    Hopefully someone here can tell you what the MPM is. Or you can call and ask. Once you know that you'll know what your limits are.

I've been somewhat lucky in finding seats ex-India on LX but it does split the trip in half and makes it a little less valuable of an F experience because there isn't as much time to sleep and enjoy the product. Also, it isn't the FCT but the LH FCL in MUC isn't horrible and MUC-BOS often has F seats open.

3. winecountryua

winecountryua Silver Member

Status Points:
    No solutions but two things
    -- MPM +15% for HKT-SAN is 16,968 (ATL routing)
    -- This is definitely will NOT be USA-ASIA award if you wish to go via Europe (80K?)

4. nieder2
    Original Member

nieder2 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for the MPM. Is it published that traveling Asia via Europe requires more miles? I've seen several trip reports with a *A award and somewhat similar routings to mine. One such is @FrequentlyFlying who did an LH award with UA miles.

http://milepoint.com/forums/threads/lufthansa-first-class-experience-lax-sea-fra-bkk-video.10982/

5. winecountryua

winecountryua Silver Member

Status Points:
    The is a general rule the mileage requirement is the larger of any subroute.

6. gleff
    Original Member

gleff Co-founder

Status Points:
    However I have not seen UA charge the higher Europe-Asia price on an Atlantic routing US-Asia since 2008.

That may be/have been the formal rule but if so it's no longer applied in my experience.

One-way F Asia - North America via Europe you will pay 72.5k miles... or 70k if you wait until the award chart change to book.

You won't get two passengers in SQ F.

You could do something like:

BKK-HKG, TG F
    HKG-ICN, OZ C
    ICN-FRA, OZ F
    FRA-DEN/LAX/SFO/IAH/ORD, LH F
    DEN/LAX/SFO/IAH/ORD-SAN, UA F

for instance.

You could even go FRA-ZRH-YUL in order to do both the LH FCT in FRA and then fly LX F.

sobore likes this.
  7. gbryan84
    Original Member

gbryan84 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I tried to do something similar to this with UA miles a couple of weeks ago and they tried to price it out as a one way US to Europe and another one way Europe to Asia. I didn't do it but I guess I should have just hung up and tried another agent?

8. nieder2
    Original Member

nieder2 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for the feedback Gary. Good to know on the SQ availability. Now that I know the MPM that helps and your routing looks like a good example. Is YUL the best bet to get on the A330 for the new F seats? I still get to use the FCT departing FRA-ZRH in C?

NH or OZ for the Asia-EU flight?

I think I'll wait to book until after the 15th so i'll pay 5k less miles on 2x tix but also pay less fees should i need to make a change (will make 1p in the next couple months).

9. JohnDeere19
    Original Member

JohnDeere19 Gold Member

Status Points:
    The golden rule!

10. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    I believe you would get access even in LH C because your later flight is LX F.

11. gleff
    Original Member

gleff Co-founder

Status Points:
    Correct!

12. gleff
    Original Member

gleff Co-founder

Status Points:
    Pretty much the only LX flight you'll find F availability on more than 3 days out.
    NH is a much much tougher get. ICN-FRA OZ F is pretty available.. but if you get NH F, give it a shot. :)

13. nieder2
    Original Member

nieder2 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yeah I'm not seeing any advanced availability for NH for 2 seats - but the search will continue.

What about comparing OZ to LH? I'm thinking LH might be a better choice because by ~May next year I may have a decent chance of the new F seat+bed on LH.

Since you can transit PVG w/o a visa, I was thinking of an itin like:

BKK-HKG TG F (or BKK-NRT F on the 9W lease 77W if possible)
    HKG-NRT NH C
    NRT-PVG NH C
    PVG-FRA LH F <24hr stop
    FRA/ZRH-USA LH/LX F depending on LX availability

Any feedback on doing a route like that?

14. gleff
    Original Member

gleff Co-founder

Status Points:
    You can transit PEK without a Visa as well, at least for many nationalities, you just can't leave the airport like you can in PVG. And you could fly BKK-PEK in F.

Or what about BKK-CDG in the 9W suites?

Personally I'd take OZ F over LH F even with chance of the new F. But that's personal preference for the food, service, and amenities of OZ even though I'm not a huge fan of their seat. Plus the chance of the old LH F seat which is a major bummer for me.

NH F US-NRT is generally pretty available Jan-March, especially ORD-NRT and occasionally IAD-NRT.

LX F is mostly open only 3 days out, sometimes in advance though ZRH-YUL.

15. nieder2
    Original Member

nieder2 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I like PVG as a city so I like the idea of taking mrs. nieder2 for a quick visit.

BKK-CDG would be nice on the 9W suites but I'd like to bounce around Asia a bit.

Thanks for the feedback on OZ vs. LH. So many options

16. nieder2
    Original Member

nieder2 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I've been searching availability and working out the routing details. Does anyone see any issue with doing the routing below? Would UA consider the PVG trip to be too indirect? or is it worth some shots at ticketing agents to try and ticket that?

HKT-BKK TG C
    BKK-NRT- TG F
    NRT-PVG NH C
    PVG-ICN OZ F
    ICN-FRA OZ F
    FRA-DEN LH F
    DEN-SAN UA F

17. gleff
    Original Member

gleff Co-founder

Status Points:
    According to Great Circle Mapper that route is 16,149 flown miles.

HKT-SAN MPM for travel via the Atlantic is 14,755.

United allows you to travel MPM+15% so you're permitted 16,968.

I've never tried a 7 segment one-way award on UA, however, will be interested to learn if that's problematic.

18. nieder2
    Original Member

nieder2 Silver Member

Status Points:
    We'll see next week how cooperative they are. Since CO will also allow one-way awards starting 6/15, does anyone think i'd get a more friendly response from them vs UA?

19. nieder2
    Original Member

nieder2 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'm happy (very happy) to report that I had success with the first UA agent i tried, Harvey, today. He initially tried to tell me i could only route via Pacific but i asked him to check his MPM again and he conceded. He told me it was the first 7 leg itin he or his supervisor had seen and he was curious why i was doing it. I told him I loved checking out new cities and airlines and away he went ticketing this. The only concession I had to make was one of us flying UA Y from DEN-SAN and switching from NH to CA from NRT-PVG. My goal will likely be to try and fly LX F instead of LH if there is availability so the tail end could change. As booked today:

HKT-BKK TG C
    BKK-NRT- TG F
    NRT-PVG CA C
    PVG-ICN OZ C
    ICN-FRA OZ F
    FRA-DEN LH F
    DEN-SAN UA 1pax in F, 1 in Y

70k miles + $121 fees + $25 booking fee per person

Thanks everyone, especially @gleff, for the feedback along the way

20. Hartmann
    Original Member

Hartmann Gold Member

Status Points:
    Looks like a nice routing! Glad they were able to get all the flights for you.

Personally, for the day flight, I'd prefer LX F. The IFE and the seat are better than LH's F. The food is kind of a toss up between the two but I thought LX's cheese course was superior and their mains were a little more substantial. Plus, they actually give you PJs on the day flight rather than the LH shirt.

21. nieder2
    Original Member

nieder2 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'd like to get on the LX flight but there was no availability for 2 seats on my date. I'll be watching it over the next few months and probably change it if the availability shows up.

22. nieder2
    Original Member

nieder2 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Question: can I change classes of service for free? I think yes but just wanted to check.

Also, since we had to put 1 pax in Y, 1 F mentioned above, there are 2 separate PNRs. If i want to make routing changes will Mrs. Nieder2's PNR (no UA status) be subject to general member fees? or will it fall under my 1P fee structure since it was booked with my miles?

23. gleff
    Original Member

gleff Co-founder

Status Points:
    If the award was booked in the higher class of service (ie the higher amount of miles were pulled) then yes.
    [/quote]Miles pulled from your account, fee based on your status applies.

nieder2 likes this.