One sticker exception for 500 mile upgrade on 583 mile flight?

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by kstewart10, Mar 25, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. kstewart10
    Original Member

kstewart10 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I have an upcoming itin (OMA-DFW-LHR-MAN) and wanted to upgrade on the OMA-DFW leg for a couple of reasons. My wife and I have some 500 mile upgrades and we never get to use them as we often connect in ORD and then International and OMA-ORD is only offered on AA Eagle. I still cannot see the point though in using two stickers for a 583 mile flight OMA-DFW.

If I submit the request online I know they will take two stickers per without question, but if I wait until I get to the airport and check-in can an agent just take one sticker, do you think they would just op-up? Or should I just book the two stickers each and be done with it?

2. NYBanker
    Original Member

NYBanker Gold Member

Status Points:
    There aren't exceptions that I am aware of based on distance. The likelihood of an op-up is slim, unless economy is oversold and you are the highest fare and/or the highest elite in economy.

If you want to sit in front, and the upgrade inventory is available, take it and use the segments.

3. Efrem
    Original Member

Efrem Silver Member

Status Points:
    The sticker leeway is 50 miles regardless of flight distance. A 550-mile flight needs one; a 551-mile flight needs two. Same for longer ones: 1,550 miles takes three; 1,551 miles takes four. This is enforced by the computer. Check-in agents don't have any leeway with it. They can give you that op-up if they're in the mood, but as NYBanker posted, your chances of that are pretty small.

miamigrad, gleff and gemac like this.
  4. kstewart10
    Original Member

kstewart10 Silver Member

Status Points:

Thanks to both of you. I went ahead and burned the stickers even though it's a short flight. Cheers.

5. Wurm
    Original Member

Wurm Silver Member

Status Points:
    During my Plat day, the killer was using 3 stickers on DFW-LAS (1055m)

6. swag
    Original Member

swag Silver Member

Status Points:
    DFW-BOS (1562) makes me cringe.

7. Microwave
    Original Member

Microwave Silver Member

Status Points:
    I paid that more than once during my days as a Platinum. OTOH, I've been up front many times between SEA and JFK, which is just at 5 stickers and the eastbound leaves at the 6 o'clock hour and gets transcon catering including a choice of 5 wines, a sundae and a mid-flight cookie. It all works out in the end. :)

As Efrem pointed out, there isn't any way for them to charge you fewer stickers, only a way to charge you none. Unlike a SWU, sticker upgrades do not require reticketing and sticker balances are managed automagically--you are simply moved into X, and the computer will deduct the appropriate number of stickers from your account. I would say the chances of a domestic Op Up is low, so you've made the right choice if F is important to you for this leg.

8. abk
    Original Member

abk Silver Member

Status Points:
    stl-dfw at 550 works but 551 would make me crazy.

9. Original Member
    Original Member

Original Member Silver Member

Status Points:
    MIA-ATL is another one at 594. Personally I can't bring myself to spending the miles on this flight since it has drinks at best.

TPA-ORD is one that brings a smile to my face at 1012 miles.

10. kstewart10
    Original Member

kstewart10 Silver Member

Status Points:
    We spent the stickers,in the end, yeah, just drinks, but we were on holiday so we took advantage of the champagne, but in the end it was worth it simply for the priority tags on our bags through to LHR and then MAN, we left the old tags on and by mistake we had priority on another three unrelated legs and itins as well. It was actually a tremendous value when you look at it that way.

11. aamilesslave
    Original Member

aamilesslave Silver Member

Status Points:
    The leeway is 51 miles. For example, DFW-ELP at 551 miles requires 1 sticker. A 1551 mile flight requires 3 stickers. But DFW-LAS at 1055 miles is still 3 stickers.

FlyingPanda likes this.