One night at the Radisson Blu Aqua Chicago

Discussion in 'Carlson | Club Carlson' started by NYBanker, May 5, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. NYBanker
    Original Member

NYBanker Gold Member

Status Points:
    Last month, I ended up staying here for one night.

Overview: A solid, upper-mid-scale hotel; “W”-lite vibe
    Strengths: New, good service, room size
    Drawbacks: Fringe location
    Full report (with plenty of pictures) here!

HaveMilesWillTravel likes this.
  2. Sweet Willie
    Original Member

Sweet Willie Gold Member

Status Points:
  3. Sweet Willie
    Original Member

Sweet Willie Gold Member

Status Points:
    The comfort of the beds/linens & bright/clean look & smell to the room was the highlight of our recent stay at the Radisson Blu Chicago.

We had some issues with our stay:
    1) room AC goes only to 65 degrees, at which point the AC & fan shuts off, I woke in a pool of sweat in the middle of the night, crappy AC system.

2) signage from the car garage to the lobby is spotty at best, there should be very bold & clear signage & there is not.

3) no pay per view/movie selection

4) Self park is $43 daily and does not offer in/out privilege. Valet parking is $53 daily.

For someone making use of activites/attractions in the Loop/N Michigan Ave area/Millennium & Grant Park, this property has a great location.

The outdoor common areas are huge & very inviting (however not during the recent 100+ degree days and very warm nights). We ended up with a corner room w/a nice wrap balcony, but no chairs on the balcony so what's the point???

For water, booze & other food items, one block away is a grocery market open 7 days a week, 7am to midnight, on the corner of North Stetson & South Water: www.bockwinkels.com

For a low priced sandwich/burger/bar option, 3 blocks away on Michigan Ave is SweetWater Tavern & Grill. www.sweetwatertavernandgrille.com For brunch they serve a killer mushroom hash & eggs.

4. Sweet Willie
    Original Member

Sweet Willie Gold Member

Status Points:
    forgot I had some photos to upload:
    ---
    Rad Blu Chicago 1.jpg Rad Blu Chicago 2.jpg Rad Blu Chicago 3.jpg

flyingdawg likes this.
  5. flyingdawg
    Original Member

flyingdawg Gold Member

Status Points:
  6. Sweet Willie
    Original Member

Sweet Willie Gold Member

Status Points:
    Mrs Willie & I treated another couple to a staycation this past weekend at the Radisson Blu Chicago
    I was driving and did not utilize self park this time, but I believe self park is up to $47 if I read sign correctly. If you can time things right, there is generally plenty of overnight free parking on the streets nearby but that free doesn't start until 9pm (maybe 10pm as the city switched some areas to 10pm). We had a late night & upon our return found 40+ spaces w/in a couple blocks and one less than 100 feet from front door. Seeing as Sundays are all day free parking, we didn't have to worry about getting up early for our car.

As a silver Mrs Willie & I were given a corner room w/balcony.

Bar on 1st level was packed w/pre-wedding crowd, thankfully got there early to snag a table before all were taken. $30 for 4 drinks, not the best all night deal in town;)

Room as clean/fresh as before, VERY comfortable bed!!!! Only bed more comfortable is the one in our house.

A few blocks away is the Chicago Cultural Center, and every exhibit I've attended there has been free, they almost always have something going on. Sat night at 6pm we listened to a music performer who used looping equipment to create a fantastic sound, along with a local lighting company who provided constantly changing light/shadows. Well worth the 50 minutes we spent. Further info on Chicago Cultural Center here: www.cityofchicago.org/city/en/depts/dca/supp_info/chicago_culturalcenter.html/

For some of our evening's events we went to The Second City (comedy) www.secondcity.com and had a very good thin crust pizza dinner a few blocks from Second City at Bricks http://brickschicago.com/BricksChicago/home/index.html
    ---