One Mile at a Time - Why do South Korean airlines hate us so much?

Discussion in 'Blogstand' started by BoardingArea, Nov 19, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. BoardingArea

BoardingArea News Feed

Status Points:
    Have you ever tried to redeem an award ticket with Korean Air’s SkyPass program or Asiana’s Club program? If not, consider yourself lucky. As much as both airlines have pretty good mileage programs, their policies make me want to proclaim miles worthless. Gary has written about the...
    ©One Mile at a Time, a BoardingArea Blog

Continue reading...

2. theworldofmarye

theworldofmarye Silver Member

Status Points:
    I am sorry to hear that you've had trouble with this. I've flown Korean Air a lot, love them, and have always done upgrades with them which seem easy to get. I haven't tried to get an award on Asiana since I prefer Korean Air service more. I've usually been successful getting upgrades by calling at least 5 months in advance. Some of those upgrades came in at last minute, but I just keep calling back. As a teacher, I know when I am leaving for holidays, so I get out 10 days before Christmas and before the cut off date in June, usually around June 15th. Perhaps the awards and upgrades are more geared to the Asian calendar than the U.S. one. The school holiday calendar greatly impacts the award availability and begins in March and ends in January/February for college students. Students K-12 and college are out in July and August, so again the ticket availability and awards are low. Hope this helps.