One little trivial point that can drive me crazy in Luxury hotels is..... (input your answer here)

Discussion in 'Luxury Hotels' started by TRAVELSIG, Feb 16, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. TRAVELSIG
    Original Member

TRAVELSIG Gold Member

Status Points:
    Hotels where every question is answered with "My pleasure..." before providing the answer.

Example:

q:"Can you please tell me where the washroom is?"
    a:"My pleasure, it is down the hall on your right"

Now- I have noticed this more in the United States than anywhere else. Really- how can it be anyone's "pleasure" to answer this question? It seems very insincere. Trivial point- but it does make it seem like the whole staff are only being nice because some told them they had to be as opposed to real hospitality.

2. diver90
    Original Member

diver90 Gold Member

Status Points:
    It's my pleasure to answer you. [​IMG]

The first place I heard this was at the Ritz Carlton Millenia in Singapore back in the mid-90's. My recollection is that it was not used at the beginning of their answer but added at the end of the exchange... typically when I thanked them for their assistance. I thought it was a great response.

I say this myself at the end of an exchange of information where I have been able to answer a question, clarify a point, etc. in business because that is truthfully the way I feel - It is a distinct pleasure to assist a customer and client in a way that improves their utilization of our products or services.

But hey that's just me and my silly little opinion.

loadera and TRAVELSIG like this.
  3. TRAVELSIG
    Original Member

TRAVELSIG Gold Member

Status Points:
    The way you have explained it- I really agree. Not Talking About directions to the washroom however :)

4. Westsox
    Original Member

Westsox Gold Member

Status Points:
    I agree that the words spoken do not always match the sincerity of the speaker. Given that many staff members would never be courteous on their own, a standard pleasant response is better than what might come out of their mouth if they actually said what they were thinking at the moment.

5. TRAVELSIG
    Original Member

TRAVELSIG Gold Member

Status Points:
    Hmm.. I have met a lot of great hotel staff members over the years- I just don't like insincercity in general.

6. RichardInSF
    Original Member

RichardInSF Silver Member

Status Points:
    The one little trivial point that drives me crazy but isn't either trivial or little to me: luxury hotels charging for internet!

7. TRAVELSIG
    Original Member

TRAVELSIG Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yes! Agreed! And not trivial at all.

8. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    Heaven forbid you order room service:
    Gratuity 18%
    Local hospitality fee: 5%
    Hotel service charge: 3%
    Travel tax mandate: 2%
    Lodging and accomodation fee: 7%
    City, state county tax: 10%
    Ernie and Burt surchage: 2%

9. TRAVELSIG
    Original Member

TRAVELSIG Gold Member

Status Points:
    You forgot the $5.00 per person delivery charge. Or my favorite- yesterday at the GIFT STORE of a hotel- a small plastic bottle of Diet Coke was $4.75 PLUS TAX. The Gift Store- Not the Mini-Bar.

10. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Housekeepers who knock on the door (or telephone) to ask whether you really mean "do not disturb" when the sign is on your door. A much better approach is to slide a card under the door requesting that the guest call XXX if/when housekeeping services are desired.

It's less of a problem at the true luxury level than the group just below, but I hate it when turndown service occurs too early. I want this to be done while I am away at dinner (or enjoying happy hour in the lounge), not before I return from my business activities at the end of the day. I think the problem arises primarily when properties offer turndown service but try to avoid having enough maids available during the evening shift. In this case, I would prefer turndown by request rather than checking in and finding the room already turned down for the night at 3 pm.

AmericanGirl likes this.
  11. BondAir007
    Original Member

BondAir007 Gold Member

Status Points:
    In due time... there will be a fee to ask a question from a real person. [​IMG]

12. Tivoboy
    Original Member

Tivoboy Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    One point I don't understand is when I CALL for something, like I need an ethernet cable, or there is a problem with the iron, or coffee maker - what have you and 30 minutes later I don't have anyone there. Yep, the DND sign was hanging on the door. Uh, didn't I CALL for assistance. Does that mean I didn't want to be disturbed, no it means I'm stupid and forgot the sign was still on the door.

My favorite example of this was recently at the lovely Imperial in New Delhi. I received a phone call to my room, alerting me that there were THREE MEN standing outside my door because the FIRE ALARM in my ROOM was apparently going off and they needed to check if there was a fire, and yet the DND sign was on the door and they DIDN'T want to DISTURB ME? ARE YOU SERIOUS! If you think there is a FIRE IN THE ROOM, KNOCK ON THE DOOR. But, they apparently called down to the front desk, who called me on the in room telephone and asking me if I could answer the door and let the guys in. That was just crazy stuff.

bluesky, latrobe, savydog and 2 others like this.
  13. Aro

Aro Silver Member

Status Points:
    The nightly rate!

sobore likes this.
  14. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    That can get in the way![​IMG]

15. Eric
    Original Member

Eric Silver Member

Status Points:
    Agreed. That and paying for parking. When you pay 600/night at the FS do they really need to charge you an extra 20/night to park my car? I hate it.

16. savydog
    Original Member

savydog Gold Member

Status Points:
    I like asian hotels, as the tap water is not drinkable they have a never ending supply of bottled water. Just ring customer service and ask for more. In Beijing as there were 3 of us I asked for 6 bottles to be left in the room at turn down each evening very handy when you walk through the day into the night.

loadera likes this.
  17. savydog
    Original Member

savydog Gold Member

Status Points:
    Have been caught a few times and had to pay, sometimes $20 for 24 hours or $6 per hour. Just price in an extra $10 a night and give it to us for free.

loadera likes this.
  18. Mangy
    Original Member

Mangy Gold Member

Status Points:
    waiters telling me their name drives me nuts

19. Mangy
    Original Member

Mangy Gold Member

Status Points:
    I don't get why a hostel in SE Asia has free wifi and a $200 Sydney hotel charges almost $30/day

savydog likes this.
  20. Mangy
    Original Member

Mangy Gold Member

Status Points:
    I remember liking the bathrooms at that hotel. Mine had a view over the Marina. Not the friendliest hotel though

legalalien and diver90 like this.
  21. travelingmore
    Original Member

travelingmore Gold Member

Status Points:
    Different view here - I am okay with waiters telling me their names.

"My pleasure" - works for me if it comes after my "thank you". I agree that it's goofy when it's misplaced in the response.

BondAir007 and loadera like this.
  22. diver90
    Original Member

diver90 Gold Member

Status Points:
    We stayed in what was then called a Premiere Room (I think they are called Premier Suites now). They are at the ends of the hallways and have a bedroom and sitting room that look out over either side of the hotel and the bathroom is on the very end of the building. There was also a very cool hexagonal window in one of the rooms too.

23. TRAVELSIG
    Original Member

TRAVELSIG Gold Member

Status Points:
    Because people pay it :)

24. savydog
    Original Member

savydog Gold Member

Status Points:
    I forgot to take a hat to Bali and in the Resort gift store they had a straw hat with a coloured cloth band around it for US$70. I just used more lotion and when I felt hot I moved to the shade [​IMG]

25. Noelene
    Original Member

Noelene Silver Member

Status Points:
    It drive me nuts, that a fancy pants hotel uses the coffee condiment packs with the powdered creamer,, which I hate, I have my RA account notated that I would appreciate a small jug of milk in my minibar, I don't blow a fuse if it isn't there but its great when it is![​IMG]

AmericanGirl and latrobe like this.