One-in-four suits 'slumming it' as Ryanair chases business

Discussion in 'Other Airlines | Europe' started by uggboy, Feb 3, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    || One-in-four suits 'slumming it' as Ryanair chases business ||

While I can understand that business people fly with EasyJet, out of our own experience, a good airline with a good reliable network and they too offer now pre-booked seats and their service on board tends to be friendly, on the other side, I cannot understand the appeal of Ryanair at all, to be fair, we have never experienced Ryanair so far and I'm grateful for this, I see no need to be associated with them, we would choose Easyjet anytime, when given the chance.

sobore likes this.
  2. mattsteg
    Original Member

mattsteg Gold Member

Status Points:
    It'd be nice if the headline actually matched the article. Really shoddy work by the publisher/editor.

3. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm not sure what your problem is, as the article states what the headline promises, plus it gives insights into market conditions / demand where Ryanair and Easyjet operate.

4. mattsteg
    Original Member

mattsteg Gold Member

Status Points:
    No, it does not.

The headline states that 1/4 "suits" are "slumming it" by riding on Ryanair.

The article states that 20-25% of Ryanair's customers are flying for business.

These are two very different claims. The headline suggests that 25% of business travelers are using Ryanair. The article makes no claims regarding this at all.

5. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    As always with the press, this depends how the reader "reads" and "interprets" the headline. It's clear however that between "20 and 25%" of passengers who use Ryanair fly for business reasons with them. That's something of an insight IMHO. Now, regarding the headline, of course this must be seen as a case of "the article must be noticed to be read" but then, isn't that always the case with the "press"?

6. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Are you saying in order to get the article noticed the paper needs to make up stuff?

I don't think there's anything about the reader's interpretation here. The copy editor apparently couldn't be bothered to read/understand the article. Shoddy job, as mattsteg said.

7. mattsteg
    Original Member

mattsteg Gold Member

Status Points:
    I wasn't complaining about the article content. It's interesting enough and somewhat topical.

Regarding the headline: it says what it says. There's no interpretation required, other than comprehension of the English language. It takes an enormous amount of convoluted grammatical excuses to even approach accurate representation of the article.

There's no excuse for lies in headlines. Oversell and hype all you want, but keep the headline at least quasi-accurate. This one fails that test.

One-in-four passengers suits 'slumming it' as Ryanair chases business would be no-less attention grabbing, yet would actually approximate the article content.

8. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    This could be true for "96 %" of the press output. Everyone these days knows that headlines bring the "reader" in. No way someone is wrong or right here. The article relates to Ryanair and that they capture the business market, the article makes this clear, let's not stray away from the article's content.

9. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yes, the headline is "attention grabbing", but the content counts, we shall not overlook this here, having said this, it's the headline in a national newspaper published freely in print and on their website. As for me, I read it, I was interested in the theme, and I thought fellow MP'ers are interested in the content too and that's the merit why it's here. Of course they could have written " Ryanair passengers make up 25% passengers on business", but this would not "catch" on with the general readership of a national newspaper, I presume.

10. mattsteg
    Original Member

mattsteg Gold Member

Status Points:
    That would have been an outright lie as well. I'm beginning to wonder if you actually understand what is written in the article at this point...

Being published in a national newspaper makes accuracy more important, not less. There's no competition between being sensationalistic and being quasi-accurate in this case - they could have easily accomplished both.