One-hour wait on elite line

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by Punki, Mar 3, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. Punki
    Original Member

Punki Silver Member

Status Points:
    Welcome to the new United!

This is crazy.

Gaucho, lrluis and Gargoyle like this.
  2. sdm1130
    Original Member

sdm1130 Gold Member

Status Points:
    It's probably a good idea not to call unless you absolutely need something resolved for travel today or tomorrow.

3. JLSocks
    Original Member

JLSocks Silver Member

Status Points:
    My guess is that it is a combo of the first day of systems integration combined with irregular ops due to some nasty weather. A bit too early to jump to conclusions on day 1.

4. HeathrowGuy
    Original Member

HeathrowGuy Gold Member

Status Points:
    No question that March 3rd has brought out the crazy.

Lufthansa Flyer likes this.
  5. Hannaman
    Original Member

Hannaman Silver Member

Status Points:
    I think there is something wrong with the call prioritization. I was on a delayed flight, and I gave up after 30 minutes of waiting on hold on the 1K line. Meanwhile, the non-status person in front of me got through in 10 minutes to 800-UNITED-1 :confused:

6. 2wheels

2wheels Silver Member

Status Points:
    They may be directing all 1K calls to the 1K call centers... And each and every 1K is calling becuase their reservations are out of sync or they lost a seat assignment for a flight in 2 weeks... We all know how twitchy we are :)

7. sfogate
    Original Member

sfogate Gold Member

Status Points:
    Expect delays because everyone is res are working on a new system. The learning curve has begun and it will take time to get up to speed. I do suggest that you give them some time to work out the issues from the migration and unless you are in an emergency situation perhaps you could call back in a few days.

8. SEABrad

SEABrad Silver Member

Status Points:
    I was quoted 55 minutes - but it was more like 35. Agent was not able to resolve issue, but it wasn't entirely urgent so I will just call back tomorrow I suppose.

I felt bad for the guy - I am sure most callers are less than pleasant today and they are getting crushed with calls.

9. mht_flyer
    Original Member

mht_flyer Gold Member

Status Points:
    It was bad today.... It took me quite a bit of calls and lots of time to fix my reservation for tomorrow afternoon. And the end result is a BG 5 boarding pass... (But most importantly, I WAS able to get a Boarding pass :) )

However...

Once everyone at UA is up-to-speed day-to-day on the new software and going through any open itinerary issues I think we'll all be just fine.

10. Olton Hall
    Original Member

Olton Hall Gold Member

Status Points:
    This note from United is all over the place.

11. techguru
    Original Member

techguru Silver Member

Status Points:
    Holly crap an hour elite line without a weather issue -- yikes!

12. HeathrowGuy
    Original Member

HeathrowGuy Gold Member

Status Points:
    Took me 90 seconds to reach a 1K agent.

13. Hannaman
    Original Member

Hannaman Silver Member

Status Points:
    I think they might want to rethink some of the business process with respect to the long hold times.

For example, I had a very good agent just fix up a few problematic records that didn't convert cleanly (extra segments, lost space, etc). He had trouble with one record trying to get it to resync, so he tried a few things and ultimately gave up and said he had to get a support department to help. The support dept. had a 30-minute wait to get through, so he said he'd wait for them and let me go, and I'd get the email later. Very nice guy, and I appreciate the consideration. But from a customer service perspective, the agent is still tied up waiting for help.

In the old UA business process, they agent would have tried to reissue, it failed, and it would have been queued to the back office to deal with. You'd usually get an email the next morning or so. The agent wouldn't spend more than a minute on it, because the back office could always get it if reissue wasn't needed imminently.

If agents are tied up waiting on hold to support ticket issues, I think that may be hugely inefficient and contributing to the hold times we're experiencing.

karenkay likes this.
  14. lrluis

lrluis Silver Member

Status Points:
    Not only did I wait an hour to check in, I got to the gate, and the attendant sent me to the back of the line because they forgot to stamp my boarding pass showing that my Visa was okay.

Im STILL waiting on this line an hour later. SFO to SYD. Thank goodness mp is there to keep me company.

Very poor way to handle a 1K.

15. Lufthansa Flyer
    Original Member

Lufthansa Flyer Gold Member

Status Points:
    Hah, I was quoted 3 minutes on the 1P line, and they finally picked up at the 72 minute mark, only to transfer me to the intl desk for another 82 minute hold......Its all good! :)

karenkay likes this.
  16. Gaucho
    Original Member

Gaucho Gold Member

Status Points:
    Guys.... if you want to learn how to wait on the phone, try to get a LAN agent on the phone..... then tell me.

Ygor, desamo, IDGflygirl and 3 others like this.
  17. 2soonold
    Original Member

2soonold Gold Member

Status Points:
    And then there is me; not that you guys would particularly want to be me:D.
    I "sensed" early on that this merger would most likely have its big screw up moments. So I stopped doing business with them, till I "sense" that they have gotten their act together. Murphy's law runs wild at big businesses.
    None of us really know what New United will be like , just as we don't really know what bankrupt AA will really be like. Businesses usually don't come out and announce to the public. " we've made some changes to to our product, and from this point on you may find it crappier."
    Yes, I am lucky that I don't live in their "fortress hub". And, I don't really expect anyone to risk their employment or business over airline sevice. But I do say that to the best on one's abilities, consumers should spend their money where they feel comfortable. I live in Atlanta and haven't flown Delta in over half a decade. And, I feel very comfortable with that.

18. Canadi>n
    Original Member

Canadi>n Gold Member

Status Points:
    I must say that expectations around here are rather absurdly high, particularly with what UA went through over the past three days. It wasn't enough that there was a migration of res systems/platforms that would going to cause increased call volumes, but nature intervened in the midwest (the core of UA's ORD-based hub) to bring about huge damage and disruption to schedules and flights, that in itself resulting in huge numbers of calls from those actually flying Friday, Saturday and today.

From reading threads here and on FT, it seems many of those trying to get through were dealing with issues that were not time sensitive and could just as well have been resolved later this week. Some dealt with not having the new CO-based MP account numbers. In part, UA is to blame on this one in that 1K kits only started going out late this week (for some reason). But more so, it is those who did not match or set up CO accounts as we had been urged to do all last year so we would already have our new account numbers.

19. Art234
    Original Member

Art234 Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    With respect to the true subject of this thread, the true test will be to see how long the conversion issue problems linger. If it gets worked out quickly, in a few days, I think we will all be able to move on and look back at this as a speed bump on the United integration highway. On the other hand if it lingers and grows exponentially as it did elsewhere, that is entirely another story.

One has to wonder how they could have prepared better for this. Training in a simulated environment is one thing, and usually takes alot of time. Being at a ticket counter or a gate with 100 plus people waiting for you to take care of them, many not happy, introduces a type of stress and pressure which is hard to simulate.

20. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    Only for a very limited, but vocal, subset of the membership IMO.
    Couldn't agree more. I don't think anyone expected everything to be 100% perfect with literally nothing broken along the way. If the backlog of issues clears up in a few days then it will be considered a tremendous success. If things take weeks it won't. We don't yet know which way it will end up.

21. Randy Petersen
    Original Member

Randy Petersen Founder

Status Points:
    Seeing comments here I'm pretty glad I did not need to call this weekend. I must be on the lucky side of frequent flyers, over past five years of either 1K or UGS I've never had to or needed to call any line except once when trying to help another member with their traveling mom's seat assignment. Out on UA twice this week, to DC and later to SFO and not expecting any problems with the new United.

22. Randy Petersen
    Original Member

Randy Petersen Founder

Status Points:
    Heads up. To help members and lurkers with use of this thread, a few off-topic posts were moved elsewhere. Thanks.

Hannaman and IDGflygirl like this.
  23. PhlyingRPh
    Original Member

PhlyingRPh Silver Member

Status Points:
    Data point from a few moments ago:

Issue:Unable to check-in - system unable to find valid ticket
    Wait time on 1K line: <2 mins
    Time to resolution: <3 mins
    Total time taken: <5 mins
    Friendliness of agent: 9/10
    Competency of agent: 9/10

It's still annoying that I should have to take time out of my day to resolve this issue, but it was an otherwise reasonably acceptable experience.

bonnerbl likes this.
  24. Canadi>n
    Original Member

Canadi>n Gold Member

Status Points:
    As I posted elsewhere on MP and FT, from my perspective the migration went well. I had done my account matching last year so knew what my new account number would be. When I checked the new site yesterday afternoon, all miles and such seemed to be intact. The only "issue" related to existing bookings which now had new Record Locators (which I don't recall we were told would be the case) but they all showed up when I went to the "My Bookings" section of the site. An adjunct to this was an initial notification on all my bookings that they were not ticketed. However, after doing a seating change, they all reverted to a "ticketed" status.

I suppose for those familiar with the CO site, the transition will have been easier. There are still things we UA folks must adjust to, like not seeing the "upgrade may be available" notation, as I still cannot find a place to indicate I wish to use an upgrade instrument.

The biggest issue is that 1K and GS kits went out so late to NAmerican top tier elites. Not sure why those overseas were getting theirs up to two weeks ago, but those of us here only started getting them late last week (and some still not here). Still, this entailed dealing with maybe 6-10 million MP members (assuming 10% or so of all members are elites) and kits. Not sure if all 60-80 million+ members (UA and non-overlapping CO members) are getting new cards too. This is a massive effort.

Finally, thanks to Shannon and her team who have kept us updated throughout the weekend on events back in Chicago (or Houston or wherever CO's res system is based). Hope she/they will be getting some sleep today!

bonnerbl and mht_flyer like this.
  25. doc
    Original Member

doc Silver Member

Status Points: