One Good Use For Leftover Foreign Currency

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by sobore, Aug 26, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    http://www.gadling.com/2012/08/26/how-to-put-your-leftover-foreign-currency-to-good-use/

When traveling abroad, I often find myself frantically running around the airport shops before my flight home, trying to spend the last of my spare foreign currency. Although I attempt to make smart purchase choices, I usually end up just grabbing cheap junk I'll never look at again.

Fortunately, numerous airline carriers, like American Airlines, Qantas and Cathay Pacific, are partnering with UNICEF to take part in their Change For Good program. The project takes traveler's spare change and uses it to help children in need.

According to Smithsonian's The Constant Traveler, proceeds have gone to purchasing immunizations, birth registration and HIV/AIDS prevention efforts, helping earthquake and tsunami victims in Japan as well as drought sufferers in the Horn of Africa. Furthermore, airline staff is often deeply committed to the project, sometimes even visiting the communities where the funds are being put to use.

Read More: http://www.gadling.com/2012/08/26/how-to-put-your-leftover-foreign-currency-to-good-use/

wrxmom, 8MiHi, marcwint55 and 2 others like this.
  2. FLY2LOW

FLY2LOW Active Member

Status Points:
    Great idea and it goes to a good cause. I have also seen small lots of foreign currency sold under coins and notes on ebay. You take some loss in value, but it doesn't end up in the desk drawer and someone going to that destination has something to put in their pocket. This is only worth it mostly with notes.

marcwint55 likes this.
  3. mht_flyer
    Original Member

mht_flyer Gold Member

Status Points:
    Nice idea, right now I have 50 Qatari riyals and a 5000 Korean won note in my wallet....

marcwint55 likes this.
  4. marcwint55

marcwint55 Gold Member

Status Points:
    truly a great program.