One Airline That Stubbornly Refuses to Pile on the Fees (For Now)

Discussion in 'Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards (w/ AirTran)' started by uggboy, May 7, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    sobore and MX like this.
  2. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Except for their subsidiary AirTran... Does the article mention that?

3. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    It seems Southwest is quietly entering the fee game with some recent changes. Still not on par with others fees.

uggboy likes this.
  4. sellthesedownfalls

sellthesedownfalls Silver Member

Status Points:
    AirTran flights that you can book through Southwest.com have no bag fees.

uggboy likes this.
  5. Mike Reed

Mike Reed Gold Member

Status Points:
    Airtran is slowly going away... replaced by WN.

6. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Sure, but in the meantime WN gladly continues to collect fees despite their public stance that fees are bad.

Looking at http://www.airtran.com/Home.aspx

I see a link labeled "Our bag fees have changed.Learn more." Learn more takes me to the fee page at

http://www.airtran.com/policies/ancillary_fees.aspx

Nice collection of fees, and no word as far as I can tell that if I just book my flight on southwest.com I can avoid some of them.

7. sellthesedownfalls

sellthesedownfalls Silver Member

Status Points:
    I don't think you can book all AirTran flights on southwest.com, but we have a couple of BWI -> BOS flights which are half-Southwest-operated and half-AirTran-operated, book on SW with no bag fees.

8. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    Or the part where they do have many of the same fees as other airlines. They've done a great marketing job convincing the world that they have no fees and always have the cheapest fares. Neither is actually true.

9. iolaire
    Original Member

iolaire Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have a flight to SAT from DCA via ATL this fall that is 100% on AirTran but it’s showed as "operated by AirTran" so it’s not AirTran flight numbers rather Southwest in the #5000 range. But the companion fair worked ok on it.

On the flip side, although the map shows that you should be able fly from BWI or the DC are to Cabo San Lucas I’ve yet to be able to price it out online – maybe because codeshare numbers are not loaded?

10. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Sure. My point is, they aren't as customer friendly as they prortrait themselves. Otherwise, why didn't they just eliminate bag fees across the board, no matter where you booked?

11. Mike Reed

Mike Reed Gold Member

Status Points:
    Looking at this page says the following:

How will fees be applied if the itinerary includes flights on both airlines?
    The Marketing Carrier's fees will apply to all aspects of the travel with one exception. 1st and 2nd checked bag fees will be waived for any itinerary purchased through an AirTran channel that includes a Southwest segment (weight and size restrictions still apply).

Also:

When will AirTran policies and fees align with those of Southwest Airlines?​
    Though AirTran Airways is a wholly owned subsidiary of Southwest Airlines, AirTran is operating as a separate carrier and has its own Contract of Carriage. By the end of 2014, we intend to have AirTran aircraft converted to the Southwest brand and incorporated into the Southwest network. At that point, there will no longer be an AirTran Contract of Carriage.

HaveMilesWillTravel likes this.