On the Spot: Where to change a child's diaper on an airplane

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by rwoman, Apr 8, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. rwoman
    Original Member

rwoman Gold Member

Status Points:
    LA Times:On the Spot: Where to change a child's diaper on an airplane

Ironically (or not), I had this happen early yesterday morning on my ORD-LHR flight an hour or two before landing. The couple in the middle section of row 20 (bulkhead on the 777) thought it was perfectly okay... I (sort of) get it if there is no other option, but I think the lav's on this a/c have changing tables...:eek:

2. wrxmom

wrxmom Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm not a fan of changing diapers in public as not all parents use a diaper changing pad; some just plop their baby on whatever it is they're using to change them; not saying this was the case for the parents in row 20, but just saying.

LETTERBOY, perryplatypus and rwoman like this.
  3. rwoman
    Original Member

rwoman Gold Member

Status Points:
    No, it was just on the carpet...:oops:

LETTERBOY and perryplatypus like this.
  4. wrxmom

wrxmom Gold Member

Status Points:
    Oh, gross! What is with some of these parents. Young people nowadays just don't have the manners that they did when I was growing up. It's becoming a "me" generation.

5. rwoman
    Original Member

rwoman Gold Member

Status Points:
    Of course, this was the same child (18 mos old or so) that screamed/cried most of the night. She was really cute and they did make an effort to placate her, but she was NOT having any of it. I felt kind of bad...but was not happy about the lack of sleep...even Bose QC15's cannot completely drown somethings out.

6. wrxmom

wrxmom Gold Member

Status Points:
    :(

7. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    We generally try to avoid the obligatory diaper change when we fly but depending on the route sometimes it can't be helped.

When we did JFK - PHX - HNL in January we just had to get up and hit the lav every two hours to avoid any accidents. Unfortunately we were in domestic F so it was far from comfortable, but I'd never dream of doing a diaper change at the seat.

Traveling with infants is a compromise... You give up some of the comforts of traveling (whatever is left) in exchange for making sure the children -- and the rest of the passengers have a good flight.

8. mommypoints

mommypoints Gold Member

Status Points:
    Um, go to the bathroom to change the diaper. The changing tables on the planes I have been on aren't great (as in, they are small, just like the rest of the lav), but heck I just changed a very large two year old on one when she had an accident on the place a couple weeks ago, so they certainly are better than the seats or carpet. I agree that when you travel with little ones, your own needs come last. First are the child's needs, second is the other passengers (sorry), and finally it is your own needs. Get up with the kiddos and take them to a secure and locked location to deal with diapers. ;)

9. LETTERBOY
    Original Member

LETTERBOY Gold Member

Status Points:
    Becoming? It's been a "me" generation for a while.

wrxmom likes this.
  10. Global Explat
    Original Member

Global Explat Silver Member

Status Points:
    I have four kids, been flying international with them for nearly twelve years, and it never occurred to me that you wouldn't use the changing tables in the bathroom. Sure the changing tables are awkward, and the sounds/experience can be uncomfortable for a newborn, but if you need to use them, thats where they are.

What am I missing? Do they not have changing tables in the bathrooms on US domestic routes? (Its been a while for me- most of our flying has been international).

rwoman likes this.
  11. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    Even if they didn't, it doesn't matter... I might not be as capable as the wife, but I've seen her (and plenty of other people) do some magic in very, very tight spaces. I've seen diaper changes in a car, on a chair, etc. I'm sure if push comes to shove it's perfectly doable, even if it's not optimal.

I know once we bit the bullet and did the "lav door open, one in one half out" diaper change because it was more convenient than using the changing table on a small airplane bathroom, but it was either that or jack the jumpseat which we didn't want to do :)

Either way, you do what you have to, and I can understand that someone traveling alone might have problems -- things that even overnight diapers might not solve -- but I'm not sure that it's socially acceptable under any circumstances to change an infant at the seat.

I mean... push comes to shove I might understand changing a #1 hiding under a blanket -- if that's somehow possible. But it would have to be extenuating circumstances. :)

Global Explat likes this.