On the road with the world’s most famous frugal traveler

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by sobore, Nov 12, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    http://nypost.com/2013/11/11/on-the-road-with-the-worlds-most-famous-frugal-traveler/

“I’ve found that nothing is duller than staying in a deluxe hotel,” pronounced Arthur Frommer when The Post caught up with him last week. “I like going to a pension, having breakfast in the kitchen, talking to a resident of a country.”

Indeed, the 84-year king of budget travel is still on the road more nearly 60 years after bursting onto the scene with his genre exploding, “Europe on $5 a Day.” He’s as direct as ever. Ask him his favorite airline: “I don’t think there’s a dime’s worth of difference.” Preferred luggage? “I don’t even know the brands.” And he’s still publishing.

Read More: http://nypost.com/2013/11/11/on-the-road-with-the-worlds-most-famous-frugal-traveler/

Newscience likes this.
  2. Newscience

Newscience Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for posting, sobore! Arthur Frommer is a living legend - he's launched the international travels of untold thousands with his 'frugal traveler' series - "$5 a day", "$10 a day", "$20 a day", etc. At the rate he's going, he'll be travelling when he's 100 years old! And that will be followed by his book "Heaven at $10 a day"! ;)

sobore likes this.
  3. TravelerMSY

TravelerMSY Silver Member

Status Points:
    He's a God. It's awesome how he eschews almost any type of luxury or comfort, at least in the way that's common amongst miles and points collectors.

4. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Does he fly coach?

5. colt245

colt245 Silver Member

Status Points:
    What a great read, an an inspirational guy! Thanks for sharing that.