On the last leg of my first ever mileage run

Discussion in 'Mileage Runs/Travel Hacking' started by wolfsatz, Jun 11, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. wolfsatz
    Original Member

wolfsatz Silver Member

Status Points:
    UA
    Left LAS this morning at 6:30am.
    LAS-IAD-BOS-ORD-LAS.

Just had a beer and pannini at Goose Island in the United terminal at ORD.

So far so good. Watched a lot of movies on the iPad and drinking a lot of water. It's the first time in a long time I've ridden a legacy carrier in coach. Primarily a SWA flyer until recently. Wow!!! Not a lot of leg room at the back of the bus, no wonder people are obsessed with getting status and the commensurate upgrades. Not a lot more on SWA but I'm crafty enough that I usually get the exit row. I'm 6'4" so it's kind of sad that my knees are buried in the back of the seat in front of me even BEFORE the guy in front of my reclines.

Anyway, all and all not too bad an experience, despite my whines about leg room. Doing a similar run next weekend to BOS again with about a 12 hour layover in Beantown.

I'll post pictures here in a bit.

2. wolfsatz
    Original Member

wolfsatz Silver Member

Status Points:
    Early Morning Departure out of LAS
    photo 1.JPG

Economy Class when you're 6'4"
    photo 2.JPG

ORD United Terminal
    photo-41-e1307905304760.jpg

Rainy ORD
    photo 3.JPG

Rainy ORD 2
    photo 5.JPG

Rainy ORD 3
    photo 2.JPG

The thing that kept me sane
    photo 1.JPG

The entrance to the Red Clown Club at IAD. (sigh...some day)
    photo 3.JPG

United ground ops at BOS
    photo 4.JPG

3. Travelsavant
    Original Member

Travelsavant Gold Member

Status Points:
    Hi wolfsatz and welcome to the world of Mileage Running! E- seats on UA are downright painful & I'm only 5'3"; I guess in this instance, being short does have an advantage. Have fun flying & E+ is worth the effort. Just be aware, status becomes addictive; pretty soon you'll be like the rest of us mileage junkies...hanging out in MR forums, seeking elusive deals, always looking for the next flying fix!:D

Sean Colahan, Gargoyle and k2o like this.
  4. catgirl
    Original Member

catgirl Gold Member

Status Points:
    I 100% agree - I am 5'2. The one advantage to being short, lol.

Congrats on your first run. I remember mine last year - I had a blast. Glad you are no worse for the wear. :)

Gargoyle and travelingmore like this.
  5. Sweet Willie
    Original Member

Sweet Willie Gold Member

Status Points:
    what goal are you trying to acheive by flying UA wolfsatz? (just topping off an account, a certain status level or ...?)
    ha ha, I can only imagine !! When in economy I'm soo jealous of short folks.

E+ was the best thing that UA did and the primary reason I continued to fly them even after they made SWU's a pain in the rear (& wallet) to use.

Gargoyle, travelingmore and k2o like this.
  6. travelingmore
    Original Member

travelingmore Gold Member

Status Points:
    Congrats wolfsatz, on the first MR. When I did several a few years ago, I took the simple approach and did RT LAX-BOS in one day - easier for me. Those coach seats were tough. Eventually I was eligible for exit seats and then got a few upgrades as I neared AA EXP. When I look back, they were a fun adventure - the memories of fatigue and sore knees have faded.

7. wolfsatz
    Original Member

wolfsatz Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'm getting a late start this year so my goal is premier for this year. Also, just testing the waters to see if it's even something I enjoy doing.

I fly domestically about 20 times a year, mostly SWA on the West coast, but I'm trying to move away from SWA as I'd like to start taking some international trips. Getting status is, for me, primarily about getting a more comfortable seat on long haul trips.

8. Sweet Willie
    Original Member

Sweet Willie Gold Member

Status Points:
    Of course everyone wants to fly in J or F, but I think you'll find E+ a nice ride on international routes, I know I have.
    After a long stint with UA, I'm testing AA's waters, with DEQM deals it sure makes it easy to try some other waters! I too am only going for a lower tier (AA gold) which I will have achieved with an LAX run in mid July.

I wish you good fares & good flying in your quest for Premier !

9. tcook052
    Original Member

tcook052 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Me too, though sadly I don't think I'll requalify for UA Premier unless something changes in the next few months. :(

Thanks for sharing your experiences!

10. wolfsatz
    Original Member

wolfsatz Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yeah, I've had a heck of a time finding MR candidate fares from LAS. There's an EWR fare that might work but my weekends are filling up fast.

Travelsavant and tcook052 like this.