On Singapore Airlines, Flyers Order Premium Meals in Advance

Discussion in 'Singapore Airlines | KrisFlyer' started by sobore, Apr 23, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    http://www.cnbc.com/id/47135296

Complimentary meals in economy class are scarce these days and when they are served, they often bear the brunt of jokes. In premium cabins, however, airlines tend to invest a little bit more and one airline is offering a unique experience for passengers traveling in business or first class.This past Saturday, I flew Singapore Airlines from New York's John F. Kennedy
    nternational Airport to Frankfurt in business class and was able to test out the airline's "Book the Cook" option.

The service allows you to order your main course before you fly from a list of premium dishes designed by the airline's extensive list of gourmet chefs.
    My JFK to Frankfurt flight served dinner and the airline's website offered the following entree selections in advance:

• Baked Chilean bass in XO sauce
    • Braised short ribs of beef
    • Grilled shrimps and scallops
    • Pan-fried chicken in green peppercorn sauce
    • Pan-fried fillet of beef in three peppercorn sauce
    • Roast rack of lamb with natural jus
    • Roasted seabass with wilted spinach
    • Stir-fried chicken in Chinese wine
    I've been flying for 30 years and this is the first time I was allowed to order a gourmet meal in advance with my premium seat.

Read More: http://www.cnbc.com/id/47135296

MLW20, legalalien and uggboy like this.
  2. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have read about this earlier, a great service indeed!:)

3. 7Continents
    Original Member

7Continents Silver Member

Status Points:
    This is not new to Singapore Air - but I can tell you it works. It gives you what will be on the menu anyway plus some extra choices to pick from, though when I've done it you can't tell what will be the standard menu on your flight at the same time you are selecting.
    They do come up to you and tell you that your meal is on board, and ask what time would you like it served.

Rejuvenated likes this.
  4. General_Flyer
    Original Member

General_Flyer Gold Member

Status Points:
    I got bummed on that last december, and I will never do BTC ever again after that incident.

Rejuvenated likes this.
  5. Gaucho
    Original Member

Gaucho Gold Member

Status Points:
    Ah.... reminds me of when I was PPS back in the late 90s ...... my favorite choice was Lobster Thermidor.

Rejuvenated and sobore like this.
  6. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    There are a couple other carriers that do this;; IIRC CX used to fax menus to premium class passengers about a week before the flight.

sobore likes this.
  7. mundosurfer
    Original Member

mundosurfer Gold Member

Status Points:
    I used to BTC on JFK-FRA-SIN every time, the best was ordering a kids meal for one of the breakfast options.

Rejuvenated likes this.
  8. view
    Original Member

view Silver Member

Status Points:
    What do you mean "bummed"? Did you BTC and then ask for a different choice and they were out of options?

9. General_Flyer
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I was the only one in F, and all they loaded was my BTC, and my other BTC that I never ordered. Nothing else onboard. Is that not bummed?

Rejuvenated and cennas like this.
  10. cennas
    Original Member

cennas Gold Member

Status Points:
    SQ should definitely refresh the entree selections, I don't think they ever change the options since BTC was first introduced. That said, every time I fly SQ ex-SIN in premium class, I almost always order the Roast Lamb BTC :)

Rejuvenated and General_Flyer like this.
  11. view
    Original Member

view Silver Member

Status Points:
    Absolutely. So you are having a look in the menu and they don´t have a single of the mains. Wow, that sounds unusually poor for SQ, empty F cabin or not. Perhaps the crew had already selected the other mains for their break meals ;)

Rejuvenated and General_Flyer like this.
  12. General_Flyer
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I wish that was the case.. Apparently it was their SFO based caterer's fault.. Or so they say....

Rejuvenated likes this.
  13. Rejuvenated
    Original Member

Rejuvenated Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yeah after a while it gets boring that you end up BTC the same stuff again and again. And not necessarily "all" the items from those options from various gateways are appealing to me. Hence the last couple of years, I seldomly BTC.

I do like the varieties SQ offers on their printed in-flight menus and IMO, they don't tend to repeat the same stuff as often as CX. So for my flights in June, I'll just continue to stick to the options on the printed menus.

cennas and General_Flyer like this.
  14. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm surprised they didn't try to tempt you with either the business class main courses or something from a crew meal.

Once when my BTC in SQ IFC was messed up, they managed to find the item, IIRC salmon, but with a different preparation than the BTC was supposed to be. I thought what they served me was better.

General_Flyer likes this.
  15. General_Flyer
    Original Member

Status Points:
    They did, but the point is, I don't know who messed up.. After that event, bye bye BTC if it means having nothing else onboard..

And what happened was, they have nothing else onboard but the BTC, which means no other meal was stowed, except from J.

16. SOLTATIO

SOLTATIO Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'm flying SQ again in July and all the BTC options for my breakfast meal looked sufficiently unappetizing. Initially I just booked a standard meal. But reading your post, I just changed my order to a selection of "YUMMY" sausages and pancakes! Thanks for the tip. And if the FA's look at me funny, I won't care cause, after all, it will be my birthday and I can eat kids food if I wanna! :D

General_Flyer likes this.
  17. Rejuvenated
    Original Member

Rejuvenated Gold Member

Status Points:
    I ended up BTC "Seared Salmon Escalope" on SQ285 yesterday and it was "perfect"! :cool:

cennas and General_Flyer like this.
  18. General_Flyer
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Glad you enjoyed it. I'll probably do BTC again not in the near future though..

19. legalalien
    Original Member

legalalien Gold Member

Status Points:
    So...if ICN doesn't appear on the list, does it mean I can't pre-order a meal?

Now, that is bummed!

TAHKUCT likes this.