On board the inaugural JFK-HNL flight

Discussion in 'Hawaiian Airlines | HawaiianMiles' started by Wandering Aramean, Jun 6, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    I was one of the lucky few to be on HA51 on its first day of service, June 5, 2012. This was also my first long-haul trip on Hawaiian. I was VERY impressed.

There was a big party in the terminal, both out at check-in and in the gate area - prior to the flight. Speeches were made and hulas were danced.

[​IMG]

That's all well and good, but the proof is in the pudding, so to speak, and the in-flight experience was nearly flawless.

Shortly after take-off there is a meal snack/drink service. Then a meal service. It was something of a brunch-ish wrap, with the option to buy a cheeseburger or caesar salad. A bit interesting that the BoB includes an alcoholic beverage but there is no discount for refusing the drink. Not that I refused. ;)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

There is a second snack about 2 hours prior to arrival. We had a turkey sandwich. Not as good as the first meal.

[​IMG]

2. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    The IFE is the paid stuff that the A330s all have, though they gave us free TV during this trip. It was a pretty good selection but I probably wouldn't pay for it on a normal trip. The 9" screens are sufficient and there are USB plugs at every seat, though not 110v plugs.

[​IMG]

I slept a bit (the FA said they are probably going to swap out the cushions for something softer as there have been complaints, though I didn't mind much) and chatted with a bunch of different folks. Before I knew it we were on final into HNL.

[​IMG]

Oh, and we all got a little present.

[​IMG]

Overall, it was a long flight (10:15 and we got in 45 minutes early) but definitely a tolerable one. And a much better in-flight experience than the United trip I took a few weeks earlier from EWR.

More from the trip can be seen/read here.