Olive 8 and Denver GH worth the Suite upgrade?

Discussion in 'Hyatt | Gold Passport' started by afakhori, Jul 29, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. afakhori

afakhori Silver Member

Status Points:
    So I've got two stays coming up - 2n at the Olive 8 in Seattle and then 3n at the GH in Denver. Is it worth it to use Confirmed suite upgrades or try my luck with a Diamond upgrade at check in? How much nicer are the actual suites I would get vs the room I *may* be upgraded to?

I have 2 available suite upgrades and *may* have another stay at a nicer property before they expire. Should I hold onto them and gamble with an upgrade or use them now and see what kind of room I get if I end up with another stay (most likely that stay would be at the GH Kauai).

Thoughts? Opinions? Favorite Pizza toppings?

uggboy likes this.
  2. Pizzaman
    Original Member

Pizzaman Co-founder

Status Points:
    Did someone page me? ;)

I have experience at both properties. The Olive 8 has a very good front desk staff. The front desk manager from GH Tampa is there now and she's very attentive.

O8 has some nice suites, but I've also never had a bad regular room there. The GH Seattle has some very nice exec suites, FWIW.

GH Denver is fine. They have corner suites that are 2 rooms with plenty of space (albeit some have odd bathrooms). If you could guarantee a corner suite there, I'd probably burn an upgrade. I was given the Presidential there once on a Diamond upgrade. They're usually quite slow on weekends so better upgrades can sometimes be had then.

Happy to answer any other questions.

Now, about that pizza....

Flyer1976, uggboy and afakhori like this.
  3. tom911
    Original Member

tom911 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have photos of a 16th floor suite at Olive 8 starting HERE. There's some other rooms, also.

[​IMG]

Don't expect a waterfront view there, though. I've had a lot of comped upgrades at Grand Hyatt Seattle and you're more likely to have a water view from there.

Flyer1976, uggboy and afakhori like this.
  4. afakhori

afakhori Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'm partial to whole foods fresh pepperoni with slices of fresh Mozzarella. We like to use these stonefire naan pizzas
    [​IMG]

As far as hotel....stuffs, I'd love to be bumped up to the Presidential at the GH Den, but we'll be there sun/mon/tues mid Sept, so doubt it :-/ I ended up just throwing caution to the wind after reading what you guys had to say and applied the 2 to O8 and the GH Den. I've got two more that I'm holding out to use at the Maui Andaz and GH Kauai at the end of August. There isnt any avail for the suites that they could upgrade me to, but I'm going to keep an eye on it and if I see anything opens up before now and then.

If anybody is gonna be in Seattle on Sept 12/13/14 and want to join us for breakfast, lemme know! It looks like O8 allows for up to 4 people for breakfast so I've got two spots open, because babies aren't real people yet ;)

Thanks Tom! Those pictures were super helpful. I'm not too concerned about a water view as much as I am about comfort. I suppose HI has spoiled me :cool:

kenbo and uggboy like this.
  5. Pizzaman
    Original Member

Pizzaman Co-founder

Status Points:
    I'm partial to the pizza at this little place we visited in Venice two weeks ago. ;)

Good luck on both your stays. Hope you score nice upgrades. When are you in Denver?

6. afakhori

afakhori Silver Member

Status Points:
    Den from 9/14-9/17, then we'll be in Boulder until we fly home 9/22. No concrete plans except for a wedding on the 21st, so if anyone has recommendations or wants to meet up, let me know!

7. kenbo
    Original Member

kenbo Silver Member

Status Points:
    Haha hilarious! My 15-month old daughter eats like a real person. It's crazy how much she packs away.

afakhori likes this.
  8. afakhori

afakhori Silver Member

Status Points:
    Just got to Denver and asked for a room with a tub....so they kindly moved us to the Presidential suite. What did you think of it, @Pizzaman ? My kiddo just ran around the couch for a while and crashed. It's a very cool place. We'll be here for the next 3 days

9. Pizzaman
    Original Member

Pizzaman Co-founder

Status Points:
    I've stayed in that Presidential. It's a really nice room. Enjoy! The bathroom reminds me a bit of GH Seattle. Great room for family stays and for business meetings.

10. AttorneyVin

AttorneyVin Silver Member

Status Points:
    I have always been partial to the Suites at O8...
    And yes, the Pres at Denver is amazing; generally, in Denver I get a "Cottonwood Suite" though ... but, that has one truly amazing bathroom! I have many photos of the Cottonwood and my O8 Suite in my TripAdvisor reviews if you are interested.