Old food found at World Cup hotels

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by uggboy, May 27, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    Old food found at World Cup hotels

Last edited: May 27, 2014
    Newscience likes this.
  2. newbluesea
    Original Member

newbluesea Gold Member

Status Points:
    Would have thought that a hotel booked by the Italian team would have been much more careful considering that these inspections are somewhat part of a regular routine and everybody knows ( well apparently ...except these hotels) that Italians are very particular about the freshness of their food items.

Last edited: May 27, 2014
    uggboy likes this.
  3. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    I thought so too. Hopefully hotels take their responsibilities a bit more seriously in the future, it doesn't matter be it Italian football stars or regular guests who stay with them. Everyone deserves fresh food on their plates.

WilliamQ, Flyer1976 and newbluesea like this.
  4. Thomask

Thomask Silver Member

Status Points:
    When I see that I normally try to get it for free or less money ;-) I found expired food products often in "markets" and Hotels in North Korea.

uggboy likes this.
  5. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    Seems like you don't have to travel to North Korea to find such expired foods in hotels. I thought it surprising that hotels offer such stuff. Wouldn't have expected that, especially in the World Cup hotels which will host football teams from around the world, of course I wouldn't want that they serve such stuff to regular guests either. It's a real shame that Brazil seems lately in the press for the wrong reasons.

Last edited: May 28, 2014
    Thomask likes this.
  6. LETTERBOY
    Original Member

LETTERBOY Gold Member

Status Points:
    Considering the massive inefficiency (or corruption, depending on how cynical you are), they deserve it, IMO.

7. DTWBOB

DTWBOB Silver Member

Status Points:
    What the OP didn't say was how far past the expiration date the food was and in the US the expiration date is just a sell by date.... and for a family 45 pounds might be at most a few weeks of food.... but for a big hotel......

The real question is whether there were any other defects

Sounds like make news to me

Bob H

LETTERBOY likes this.
  8. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm sure you wouldn't want to eat "expired" food. Doesn't matter how small or big the amount of food was especially when it's out of date. For example, the salmon which was found to be expired could land people into hospitals for food poisoning with serious implications. Nobody wants that. Regarding this article is "make news", I don't think so, actually I'm glad they report about this and hopefully do something against this. The more people know the better IMHO.

9. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm sure you wouldn't be too pleased when it came your way. I don't believe that everyone has corruption on their mind in Brazil. It's however sad that such news makes the round, the World Cup should be a "happy" event which showcases Brazil, surely this news isn't.

10. LETTERBOY
    Original Member

LETTERBOY Gold Member

Status Points:
    You're right, I wouldn't. But rather than whine about it, I'd try to fix it (assuming I had the ability to do so).

Considering the massive inefficiency and lack of thought that's going into this, the 2014 World Cup was not going to be that "happy" event, even before this.

11. anileze

anileze Gold Member

Status Points:
    Two observations:

From periodic cleaning and expunging my refrigerator: If I buy something on the spur-of-the-moment, and then never get around to using it (specially dipping sauces etc.) they go way past the expiry date - So, either that hotel does not get a lot of pasta orders or, their procurement department over ordered.

Hotel sell condoms ? behind the front desk ? :eek::rolleyes::oops: I know Rio has quite a few Love Motels where you rent by the hour, or is it half-hour ? But ? Copacabana Palace and JWM at Copacabana beach sell condoms ? At that too at cost ? Wow, never knew that ! Marriott was charging 60 Rias per day for internet access during 2002 World Cup. Who knows what they'd charge for condoms ;)