OLCI for International Flights

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by zpaul, Jan 24, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. zpaul

zpaul Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have usually been able to check-in online for my international flights, but for my flight this evening (AA940 SCL-DFW) I have received the message, "Check with agent." Now, in my experience, "check with agent" can be the kiss of death, or it could just be snafu. Is anyone else having issues with it today?

2. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    If you have a US passport, then that is strange because the only times I have needed to "check with the agent" have been when traveling to a country where I needed to have a visa before hand (e.g., DME), the point being that the agent had to ensure that I have all the travel papers in order. In fact, I now always check in with an agent for intl flights because the 1K line is generally short, and I do want the agent to ensure that my travel papers are a-okay...

zpaul likes this.
  3. zpaul

zpaul Gold Member

Status Points:
    That's a really good point - I have a US passport, but the other person on the reservation doesn't, and it's the first time I've flown with him. I guess that's the answer.

perryplatypus likes this.
  4. Microwave
    Original Member

Microwave Silver Member

Status Points:
    The passport/visa issue is the most common culprit, although there have been reports that a waitlisted SWU can also cause this, although that case does not occur 100% of the time (I've had it happen once, but have been able to check in on many other instances).

5. zpaul

zpaul Gold Member

Status Points:
    I wish that would be the cause, but I'm Platinum, so no SWUs for me. :(

6. John777

John777 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Heading to the Mega Do? Enjoy!

rwoman and zpaul like this.
  7. edog22
    Original Member

edog22 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I had something like that happen on my first domestic flight of 2012--couldn't check-in online nor at a kiosk, had to go to the agent. Something strange had happened with the TSA Secure flight system to several passengers on the flight including me (I think middle names were incomplete?). Thankfully it was fixed in a few minutes and didn't lead to any 'enhanced' security checks :)

zpaul likes this.
  8. zpaul

zpaul Gold Member

Status Points:
    I am, and thanks!

9. zpaul

zpaul Gold Member

Status Points:
    And I just signed up for the PreCheck program, so maybe that's it. Even though the TSA isn't here, they have all that pre-flight info sent and there was an update to my secure flight info.

10. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

DestinationDavid Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    See you tomorrow. :)

zpaul likes this.
  11. zpaul

zpaul Gold Member

Status Points:
    Can't wait! I owe you a coke (can't remember the reason, but I know I do)!

DestinationDavid likes this.
  12. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    No personal experience with AA on this, but my rule is to call the airline if at all possible when I cannot do OLCI, especially if I expect it to work for my trip, i.e.,, no visa to be shown. I ask the agent to verify that everything is OK with my reservation and ticket. Almost half of the time, this results in a need to reissue the ticket, which could have been a mess if attempted at the airport.

zpaul likes this.
  13. zpaul

zpaul Gold Member

Status Points:
    That's a good policy. Actually, I do have a confirmation from AA via Twitter (!) that all is well. I think it is that there are two of us on the reservation and the other pax is from Chile, which triggers the need for a visa.

14. schnitzel
    Original Member

schnitzel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Man am I having a problem with OLCI with an international route.

I kept trying - it asked me for all of the passport and DOB info, then, same thing again on the next screen in a different order. This second screen has the "lap child" question at the top.

Once I say "no" to lap child, then it asks again for everyone's DOB and passport info. Then it errors out. But doesn't tell me what is wrong.

So I tried one at a time, got my wife in, but now I got locked out.

On the phone with them now. Platinum can't help, so I'm transferred over to aa.com . . . geniuses, of course.

15. schnitzel
    Original Member

schnitzel Gold Member

Status Points:
    And . . . my (partial) resolution is that it's due to a name problem like the ones here:

http://milepoint.com/forums/threads/whats-in-a-name.29830/

Oddly, though, my wife did get checked-in online, with the same problem.

So now they tell me I have to be at the airport two hours in advance for check-in. First flight is not international. Anyone know what the real time is?

16. wrxmom

wrxmom Gold Member

Status Points:
    Even though your first leg is domestic, the rest is international, I'd still show up the 2 hours early. It's a pain but better to be safe than worry sorry.