OLCI for flight when ticket didn't match

Discussion in 'Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles' started by MSPeconomist, Mar 23, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Recently delta.dumb and I managed easily to do something that should have been impossible. I successfully checked in for the first flight of a complicated itinerary and printed my boarding pass when the flight number on my reservation did not match the flight number on my ticket (as shown on the receipt).

I discovered this by accident and was amazed. I also had visions of not being allowed to board at the airport in the morning or, worse, being trapped at my destination when I tried again to check in for a return flight where my reservation and my ticket did not match. In the case of the first flight, flight status said that the flight I had purchased--the one on my receipt--did not currently exist, while the last segment was a case of an existing flight that didn't go where I needed (not wanted) to go, in this case, TPA instead of MSP.

After noticing the errors, I immediately called the DM line several times, using the "call back until you find someone who understands/helps/gives the answer you want" strategy. The first agent and her supervisor, both in SLC and sounding competent and professional, tried to tell me that it was no problem, even though the return was still an issue. The second tried to say that since I had already checked in, I should just get to the airport early (what I wanted to avoid with OLCI) in order to get a printout of my reservation and ticket from an agent. It wasn't at all clear to me why this might help. The third agent acknowledged why I was worried and initially said that nothing could be done as I had already checked in. When I reminded her that she could indeed un-check me in, she agreed to contact the international manual reissue desk. After about forty-five more minutes, I had a receipt that matched my plans and my reservation; I did not even lose my reserved seats.

I was surprised first that delta.dumb was apparently willing to let me travel with an incorrect ticket and secondly that so many DL agents seemed to be so nonchalant and unconcerned about the situation, even after I explained it several times and had them agree that indeed, the ticket was wrong as it didn't match and this should normally cause trouble. Of course schedule changes were the culprits here, but it never occurred to me that I should routinely compare my tickets to my PNRs at regular intervals for every trip.

2. cfischer
    Original Member

cfischer Silver Member

Status Points:
    I don't see this being a problem; been there done that. A reroute in December gave me an ATL-BOS BP on a ATL-RDU coupon.
    I have several tickets right now where the flight # does not match the ticket ... what gives? As long as the flight is confirmed it should be inconsequential.

3. NYBanker
    Original Member

NYBanker Gold Member

Status Points:
    Glad it worked out...frustrating when the company's errors fall on it's customers shoulders.

One small thing in here that piqued my attention was that a DM agent said s/he couldn't act because you checked in. If a Rez agent doesn't automatically know that they could uncheck you, they shouldn't be on the DM line. I've changed shuttle flights a few times after checking in and invariably that's the first objection I get (that I'm checked in already). One agent went so far as to scold me, saying I "shouldn't check in unless I'm certain that I'm flying." it takes less than a minute to uncheck someone...why this is raised as an issue is beyond me...and frustrating!

DeltaExpert likes this.