OLCI email timing

Discussion in 'Air Canada | Aeroplan' started by SYM, May 1, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. SYM
    Original Member

SYM Silver Member

Status Points:
    Has anyone else noticed that OLCI email notifications seem to come anywhere from 24 to 20 hours before scheduled departure of last segment - why?
    I can see that with many tens of thousands of emails going out every day, there is likely to be a time lag, but I'm curious why the timing seems so random. Also, maybe its just my imagination, but actually doing OLCI seems to sometimes trigger the email, which is just silly.
    If anyone has an answer, please make it comprehensible to the layperson

2. Lufthansa Flyer
    Original Member

Lufthansa Flyer Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'll take a stab at it. Maybe something to do with timezones from the source of the email and it not taking into consideration your time zone? It could also be your email server. I have had several occasions where someone sends me an email, but I dont get it right away. Sometimes not for a few hours. If you use a blackberry, thats almost a daily occurrence.

Or simply that the airline doesnt have a strict technology policy that requires OLCI notification to go out exactly 24 hours prior to departure.

Thats the best I can come up with!!;)

3. ACMM
    Original Member

ACMM Gold Member

Status Points:
    Honestly I rely on my own schedule to ensure I do this. I would not rely on AC or any other organization to do this for me. If they do, great. If not, I am the one responsible for this in the end :)

Lufthansa Flyer likes this.
  4. Lufthansa Flyer
    Original Member

Lufthansa Flyer Gold Member

Status Points:
    Well said cat. I read on here recently about a flight tracking website that sent out erroneous info about flights being delayed when in fact they were not. People assumed this to be fact, and many missed flights due to relying on outside agencies to provide info. I agree. You own it.

ACMM likes this.
  5. SYM
    Original Member

SYM Silver Member

Status Points:
    Agree absolutely. In fact, that is what triggered this email - I generally do OLCI pretty close to 24 hrs ahead of departure - tomorrow my second segment departs at 1110 EST so I checked in at about 1130 today. Then I got the email at 1450. When I see something that seems to lack rhyme or reason, I want to know what the rhyme or reason that I am missing actually is. It can't just be that the AC employee who is responsible for the 'SYM' account fell asleep at his desk today, woke up just before 3, spilled his coffee, said to himself 'sh*t, I forget to send the email to SYM. Better get cracking on that'

744 - could be, but I am booking in EST, flying in EST, and checking in EST, so if that were the whole story, it should be something similar every week.

Lufthansa Flyer and ACMM like this.
  6. The Lev
    Original Member

The Lev Silver Member

Status Points:
    I have not received the OLCI message for my 8:00 AM flight to Calgary tomorrow. Looking at AC.com, it appears the flight is sold out/oversold. Just checked in and only 7 seats not spoken for, so suspect there will be lots of Tango people at the gate with STBY as a seat number.

I find it pretty hit and miss in terms of when they inform me - sometimes bang on 24 hours, sometimes not so much.