Oktoberfest Opens Today - Report from Munich

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by JSpira, Sep 17, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. JSpira
    Original Member

JSpira Silver Member

Status Points:
    Greetings from Munich. Yesterday was the first day of Oktoberfest in Munich. (We were lucky with the weather. It rained in the early morning and we had very heavy rain/thunder/lightning storms at night.) Here is an excerpt from my report with a few pictures. The linked article has two in-depth slide shows, one covering dining at Oktoberfest and one covering the amusement park rides. A third slide show is in preparation and it will cover, well, Oktoberfest.

Oktoberfest 2011 Opens in Munich, Germany

<SNIP

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

k_malm, lwkatya, TRAVELSIG and 2 others like this.
  2. cennas
    Original Member

cennas Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for the report. I didn't know that Oktoberfest actually started before the month of October. Heading to MUC in 10 days' time and I thought I would miss the Oktoberfest by a few days, glad to know that I wouldn't. :)

lwkatya and JSpira like this.
  3. JSpira
    Original Member

JSpira Silver Member

Status Points:
    You are very welcome.
    I'm glad you'll be able to go!

lwkatya and cennas like this.
  4. garyst16
    Original Member

garyst16 Silver Member

Status Points:
    One of these days....I will actually make it to Germany for the festivities...thanks for providing the report and pictures!

5. JSpira
    Original Member

JSpira Silver Member

Status Points:
    I am glad everyone is enjoying the visit to Oktoberfest.

I have just added a Virtual Walking Tour of Oktoberfest and it's the top slide show here.

lwkatya, garyst16 and cennas like this.
  6. TRAVELSIG
    Original Member

TRAVELSIG Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks very much JSpira for posting. I am there next weekend and looking forward to the visit.

lwkatya and JSpira like this.
  7. JSpira
    Original Member

JSpira Silver Member

Status Points:
    Make sure to visit the oide Wiesn!

lwkatya and TRAVELSIG like this.
  8. JSpira
    Original Member

JSpira Silver Member

Status Points:
    I have added a fourth slide show, Traditional Oktoberfest - The Oide Wiesn. It is the second slide show on the bottom of the page (please click here to get there). This includes music and dancing in the Festzelt Tradition.

Enjoy!

lwkatya likes this.
  9. TRAVELSIG
    Original Member

TRAVELSIG Gold Member

Status Points:
    I visited Oktoberfest over the weekend- the weather was beautiful and that made the experience much nicer.

We arrived very early in the morning (9 A) to get a good spot in a nice tent- note that by 9A everything already was almost full. In the tent was fun, however outside was better due to the beautiful weather- the food as discussed was good and Bavarian. We left after lunch (14:30 or so) as the crowds were getting much too large and there were a lot of very drunk people around. It was a lot of fun- however I would recommend going early in the morning as later in the day it was just too crowded.

My understanding is during the week is quieter than on the weekend- so that could be a better time to visit if it works for your agenda.

The organization and cleanliness of the Oktoberfest is amazing even for German standards- this is really a world class event. The only other tip is to make sure you stay at a hotel near public transport- a lot of taxis don't like going towards to Oktoberfest area (for pick ups) as they say there are too many problems. The public transport however works perfectly and is super inexpensive (you can get a day pass good for up to 5 people travelling together for 9.80 EUR which is good until the following morning at 06:00a).