Okay stupid question... can I put my freq flyer number on other's reservations?

Discussion in 'Newbies' started by gconnery, Apr 20, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. gconnery

gconnery Silver Member

Status Points:
    Okay look. I'm newish to this. Starting to figure out the whole credit card churn thing which is where I'm getting most of my points/miles from. But we do fly occasionally and up until now I've always assigned a frequent flyer number to each member of my family and recorded that number online for the reservations I booked for us. I've probably been doing this since a long time ago I asked some AA agent why I couldn't earn miles for flights I booked and paid for my parents and she just told me that wasn't allowed or something. But I get the impression from reading the blogs that lots of others are in fact doing this, e.g. booking travel for their family or even others and leaving their frequent flyer number on the record to accrue the miles.

Can I do this with United? AA? Can I do this with Southwest? With some airlines, say BA, it doesn't matter since you have a joint family account and can book award travel using the combined miles from all the accounts together. In general though it would be better to accumulate the miles in one account and to avoid any fees for transferring miles to accomplish this.

Any advice?

2. eponymous_coward
    Original Member

eponymous_coward Gold Member

Status Points:
    Don't do that. You'll get in trouble. The End.

3. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    I don't think this is actually happening; I'd be interested to read where you've seen mention of it because it generally does not happen.

One analogous situation which gets talked about a bit comes from award trips booked using United points. In those cases the benefits of the elite member pass down to the passenger. But that's for awards, not revenue.

aptraveler likes this.
  4. gconnery

gconnery Silver Member

Status Points:
    Okay, well I've got an award trip booked for my immediate family in the summer. I put everybody's individual American Airlines frequent flyer numbers on their reservations. Can I/should I put all of them on mine if I booked the ticket? What if I booked the ticket with my wife's points instead, can I put my frequent flyer number on all of them?

5. marcwint55

marcwint55 Gold Member

Status Points:
    If you booked a ticket with points, there are no miles to be had. If you put someone else's number on a reservation that is paid for, no one will get any points. Always best to follow the rules and put the right number on the right reservation.

Scottrick and MX like this.
  6. Scottrick
    Original Member

Scottrick Gold Member

Status Points:
    United will automatically use the account number from which miles were debited for an award ticket. This confers the same elite benefits while traveling. It doesn't matter much because it's an award ticket and you won't earn anything. Apparently United doesn't mind extending benefits in that case.

However, I wouldn't recommend that you intentionally assign someone else's account number to a reservation, particularly a paid (revenue) fare. The usual rule is miles are earned in your account only when you fly with your ticket.

7. eponymous_coward
    Original Member

eponymous_coward Gold Member

Status Points:
    True story: I booked a flight through AA.com (LAS-LAX-SEA) with an AS segment. I always put my AS number on AA reservations (elite on AS, not so much on AA). I took a $300 VDB certificate on the LAS-LAX flight (they were overbooked) and got a ride with a buddy to LAX when it looked like things were going bad on the flight I was bumped to (refunded that segment). Turned out my plane had to get the windshield replaced, so everyone spent the night in LAS, except me (got home late but around $350 richer).

Compensation for the delay: 15,000 miles. Guess which account they put it in? My AA account that wasn't on the reservation.

Bottom line: don't play trickery with the airlines, they know things.

That being said- it's perfectly legitimate to get a household account on BA, put the kids BA numbers on any AA tickets, and pool any miles that way. I do that with my daughter sometimes, since she accumulates miles much more sparsely than I do... ;)

moznmar and marcwint55 like this.