Okay, so when should I cancel my Citi AA Cards?

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Credit Cards' started by gconnery, Mar 3, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. gconnery

gconnery Silver Member

Status Points:
    Alright, so last year I took advantage of the well known Citi mistake whereby you could apply for the Citi AA Platinum card repeatedly and get the bonus multiple times. So I ended up with three of them before they shut the door. I've since applied for the Citi Executive card and gotten approved even though I had a long-time Citi AA Gold MasterCard and 3 Citi AA Platinum VISAs. However, in the long run it seems like a bad idea to be hanging on to multiples of these given I'd like to qualify for new bonuses again someday.

I traded one of them for the Citi Executive. So now I've only got two left. Should I wait until 8-11 months on the next one and then cancel it, or should I close one of them soon?

2. harvson3

harvson3 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Replying because no one else has:

Call the reconsideration line. Try for a credit toward the annual fee on the Platinum and 1K bonus miles every cycle when you spend >$1K. Many have been successful, and whether or not you have success opening a new AA card seems to have no relationship to when you closed the card, only when you last opened one.

Source: thousands of posts on FT. YMMV, as always.

gconnery likes this.
  3. gconnery

gconnery Silver Member

Status Points:
    [quote="harvson3, post: 2306649, member: 37504"... whether or not you have success opening a new AA card seems to have no relationship to when you closed the card, only when you last opened one..[/quote]
    Thanks, that's the critical piece of info I was looking for. Sounds like there's no reason to close the current cards. I'll wait until I'm 8 months in or whatever to cancel the next, and as you say see if they want to give me a retention offer. I'm not sure about the 1K bonus for $1K though. Really just 2X. But committing to spending $1K/month on a card for 2X for a year... maybe not. Course as others have pointed out you can just do it some number of months. Don't have to do it for the whole period.

4. satman40

satman40 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Citi will give you more than one card, and they can be churned...

We apply for one every time we buy an AA ticket and get $100.00 off the ticket also.