OK: Not a joke, new route PRG-HAN operated by A320

Discussion in 'Other Airlines | Europe' started by Gnopps, Mar 7, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Gnopps
    Original Member

Gnopps Silver Member

Status Points:
    OK will supposedly start flying PRG-HAN (with a technical stop in ALA) 22Jun. Timetable is really bad with no connection possibilities in PRG and awful arrival/departure hours in HAN, at least on half of the flights.

Apparently this flight is geared toward tour operators but 5180 BIS-miles in an Airbus 320?? I really hope they will not be European configuration..

Source: http://www.airliners.net/aviation-forums/general_aviation/read.main/5050292/

2. kraven
    Original Member

kraven Silver Member

Status Points:
    Where's the difference while flying in Y?

3. Gnopps
    Original Member

Gnopps Silver Member

Status Points:
    I imagine seat pitch is better and that there would be some IFE and especially for business class I would prefer a shell seat rather than the European standard seats.

4. kiwi
    Original Member

kiwi Gold Member

Status Points:
    yippers - that is a lot of time to spend on a narrowbody

5. misman
    Original Member

misman Gold Member

Status Points:
    Isn't there talk about some carriers doing TATL on 737s? Also, there are a few mainland US - Hawaii flights are 737s, aren't there? Yes, a long time, but the passengers seem to survive.

6. jakub7
    Original Member

jakub7 Active Member

Status Points:
    The business class seats will be rather pathetic. No AVOD unless they provide some portable player. There should be better seat pitch in economy though from what I've heard.
    P2040463.JPG

If this is not a test of the route before purchasing some used A330 then to me it doesn't make any sense. Then again, I'm not from the business so my opinion doesn't really matter :)

7. mikeschu
    Original Member

mikeschu Gold Member

Status Points:
    I once heard rumors that Southwest (WN) was considering 737 TATL from BOS to somewhere in Ireland but they would have to do a fuel stop on the westbound trip (in Nova Scotia perhaps?) based on fuel reserve requirements.

As far as I know there are no 737 flights to Hawaii for the same reason. SAN-HNL is 6 hours westbound and there's nowhere to stop for fuel that I'm aware of. Hawaiian uses 767s for SAN-HNL.

I don't know if you could get more than a few people to fly six hours in a 737 anyway. I thought EWR-BHX in Y on a 757 was bad enough. ;)

misman likes this.
  8. OY-JFS
    Original Member

OY-JFS Gold Member

Status Points:
    DY flies OSL/ARN/CPH-DXB on a 737, and that's way more than 6 hours. Qatar Airways flies a lot of 6-7 hour routes with A319. BA flies A318 transatlantic (C class only, though). There are plenty of examples of 6+hours flights on B737/A320.

9. Bob Smolinsky
    Original Member

Bob Smolinsky Gold Member

Status Points:
    yes, but these are two 6+ legs.......

10. misman
    Original Member

misman Gold Member

Status Points:
    CO is using 737 (don't recall which version) LAX-Hawaii today

11. mikeschu
    Original Member

mikeschu Gold Member

Status Points:
    Looks like you're right - LAX-HNL on CO is on a 737-800. I stand corrected. Based on Wikipedia it looks like the 737-700s can make it if the '800s can, so I'm not sure why WN doesn't try to fly to at least HNL then. But I digress.

(FYI, BOS-DUB is about 2600 nmi and LAX-HNL is about 2200 nmi.)

12. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    AS has a ton of 737 flights to Hawaii from a variety of west coast airports. And Aloha used to fly their (then new) 737s across the Pacific to places like OAK about a decade ago.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/newsstand/258872-aloha-starts-island-mainland-service-oak.html

And several airlines are flying 757s to the islands (UA, US, ... soon Allegiant).

As for Southwest -- quite possibly they WILL soon fly to Hawaii with their new and larger 737-800s ..

http://beatofhawaii.com/alaska-allegiant-and-southwest-race-to-hawaii/

13. G_G
    Original Member

G_G Gold Member

Status Points:
    QR's A319s are A319LR (long range)

14. OY-JFS
    Original Member

OY-JFS Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yes...?