Oistins Fish Fry- Barbados

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Dining' started by MLW20, Apr 30, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. MLW20
    Original Member

MLW20 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I first read about Oistins Fish Fry a few years back when considering a visit to Barbados.
    We decided to go elsewhere that time but I never forgot about this weekly event.
    When we decided to go to Barbados in April, it was at the top of my list for things to do!
    Oistins is a fishing village in the southern part of Barbados. It also has some beaches and is well known to locals and tourists alike for it's Friday night Fish Fry. The fish fry gets really crowded and stalls sell all types of fish (grilled or fried) like tuna, swordfish, mahi-mahi- flying fish, shrimps and many others. There is also music blasting, booths selling various crafts and locals hanging out and playing dominoes.
    Read more HERE

2. Sweet Willie
    Original Member

Sweet Willie Gold Member

Status Points:
    sounds a lot like the Fish Fry in Nassau Bahamas

marcwint55, perryplatypus and MLW20 like this.
  3. MLW20
    Original Member

MLW20 Gold Member

Status Points:
    How was the food? Any interesting things on the menu?

4. Sweet Willie
    Original Member

Sweet Willie Gold Member

Status Points:
    food has always been very good to great, conch fritters, fresh raw conch w/a bit of chili, fresh grilled catch of the day, creole stews/soups.

What did you have at Oistins Fish Fry?

5. MLW20
    Original Member

MLW20 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Sounds like some good food!

I had shrimps and my wife had flying fish. The flying fish was decent, shrimp were not good and a bad choice! The sides were decent. Macaroni Pie is a must in Barbados. It was pretty good here but I had better elsewhere.

We actually went back to Oistins the following afternoon for lunch. It isn't the whole busy scene as the Friday night event and only a few places are open but the food was much better. At a random booth my wife and I each had flying fish cutters (sandwich) which was awesome and macaroni pie which was probably just prepared and was outstanding...

6. Sweet Willie
    Original Member

Sweet Willie Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm laughing at the thought of fisherman trying to net/catch flying fish.:)
    yeah, I never order fried shrimp in general unless from a fried fish house (like Joe's Goose Island or Calumet Fisheries here in Chicago).
    On the islands of the Caribbean, I'll order shrimp if in a stew/soup of some sort or mofongo while in Puerto Rico, but otherwise, the fresh catch of the day or conch is where it's at (IMO) w/seafood.

7. MLW20
    Original Member

MLW20 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm also not a big fan of fried shrimp. These were grilled but still not good...

marcwint55 and perryplatypus like this.
  8. Dear all

I like fish curry, this is obvious that Barbados possess great sea foods

Hope I can see more holidays to Barbados related news

cheers

marcwint55 likes this.
  9. MLW20
    Original Member

MLW20 Gold Member

Status Points:
    All I can say is ????????

marcwint55 likes this.
  10. marcwint55

marcwint55 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have eaten at both, most recently in Nassau earlier this year. I prefer the food in Barbados, but they are both pretty good.

Sweet Willie likes this.
  11. Sweet Willie
    Original Member

Sweet Willie Gold Member

Status Points:
    having not been to Barbados (yet), I for some reason get the impression that the food is cut above that of the Bahamas, appreciate if you can elaborate why you prefer the food in Barbados.

marcwint55 likes this.
  12. marcwint55

marcwint55 Gold Member

Status Points:
    While both were good, I found the food in Barbados to have a bit more flavor. I don't know if it is because of spices added or just the preparation.

Sweet Willie likes this.
  13. newbluesea
    Original Member

newbluesea Gold Member

Status Points:
    The food in general in Barbados is OK ..but sort of dumbed down because of the large number of English tourists and expats living there....you get far better and more diverse cusine in the other islands like. Puerto Rico, Jamaica, Martinique, Guadeloupe, Trinidad to name few.
    If I think of it I cant name many food items unique to Barbados.. flying fish and well rum cakes.

marcwint55 likes this.
  14. marcwint55

marcwint55 Gold Member

Status Points:
    While I agree with you on most of the destinations, I found the food in Puerto Rico to be somewhat tasteless. The worst thing I ate was something called mofungo and it was horrible.

15. newbluesea
    Original Member

newbluesea Gold Member

Status Points:
    Oh dear you thought mofungo...which is ground, or "pressed" green plantains often mixed with all kinds of meat, shrimp even lobster was horrible? :) Then its Bajan food all they way for you.

BTW mufungo in different names are quite common in dishes from Cuba, Jamaica, the Dom Rep and Peru.

As one who loves hot and spicy food I will agree that PR cusine could kick it up notch but mufungo, tostones, the endless variations of tacos and fruit drinks like payaya, guava and mango stiil make great belly stuffers..