Ohioans...Help save the PASSPORT Program!

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Cosmos Human, Mar 21, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Cosmos Human
    Original Member

Cosmos Human Silver Member

Status Points:
    Gov. Kasich wants to cut the PASSPORT medicaid waiver home care program for people over the age 60 who are at risk of being placed into a nursing home. I have been a social worker with PASSPORT for almost 20 years. No one should be forced into a nursing home when they can receive care at home and live in dignity.

please register at:
    http://faircareohio.org and contact your representative to urge them not to cut the program. I have posted this on my FB page as well.

Cosmos Human

and remember you will be old one day...

Jubileesmom and Gargoyle like this.
  2. tom911
    Original Member

tom911 Gold Member

Status Points:
    What's the typical cost of a day of home health care in Ohio versus a day of nursing home care?

3. Cosmos Human
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Medicaid pays an average of $178.00 a day for a bed in a nursing home. The PASSPORT medicaid home care waiver can't be more than 60% of the monthly cost of a nursing home bed, and often times is much lower than that. This program has been around for a little over 20 years and works very well.

There are also other waivers at risk: Assisted Living, PACE, RSS, OHCP (for those under age 60), and CHOICES.

The PACE program in Ohio is based on the program started in San Francisco.

4. Cosmos Human
    Original Member

Status Points:
    There will be job lay-offs in my office, around 30-32 (staff about 200); not sure when that will happen, but with the operational cuts coming, maybe in the next few months. I am just hoping I am not one of them. Where will I find another job at my age? I know so many that are looking for work with more education and experience than I. They can't even get a job at Wal-Mart.