Oh, the audacity

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by lrluis, May 5, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. lrluis

lrluis Silver Member

Status Points:
    I accidentally sat in someone else's seat and he ended up taking mine. I wouldn't normally care to swap a window for a window, but it was an exit row. When I first sat down, I was initially surprised to find myself in a "regular" set because I thought I booked an exit row (and it turned out that I was right). I figured they just swapped planes like they did to me last week, but in fact, I mistakingly sat in the seat number from my previous leg.

Anyway, long story short, I looked at my boarding pass, told him my seat number , and started to pack up to move. However, rather than waiting for me and without even asking if I minded, he sat down in my exit row seat, turned around and said, "Thanks!" He then giggled ...

I was in shock and didn't know how to react. It was one of those situations where someone does or says something so blatantly rude that you're rendered speechless.

In the end, I bit my lip, but what would you have done?

2. estnet
    Original Member

estnet Gold Member

Status Points:
    You're kidding right?;)
    I'd giggle right back and say "good try" and take my seat (or get the FA if there was a problem with the "gentleman"

TheBeerHunter and desamo like this.
  3. rwoman
    Original Member

rwoman Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'd have tried to deal with it myself and if the other person refused to move, involve the FA...

4. lrluis

lrluis Silver Member

Status Points:
    Haha. I probably should have, but I was on the last leg of an MR and was not thinking straight.

estnet likes this.
  5. NYBanker
    Original Member

NYBanker Gold Member

Status Points:
    Hi - a couple of questions clarified would make this easier to understand/opine on:

1-Was this other person standing in the aisle when this happened?
    2-Did he approach the seat you were in erroneously?
    3-Did you tell him what seat you were actually assigned? How did he know you had an exit row?
    4-How long was the flight?

(Nice blog you have going, too!)

6. Jaimito Cartero
    Original Member

Jaimito Cartero Silver Member

Status Points:
    Well, rude is sitting in the wrong seat in the first place.

It happens to everyone. I know of the 50 flight segments I take a year, I'm bound to mess up at least once. Usually because some domestic F seats are different on some airlines. 2C is a right side on some, and a left side on the others.

If it's a huge issue for you, tell him, no, I'll get in my correct seat. If he refuses, call a FA. Better than stewing about it for days and raising a stink here.

MX, Sagy and mht_flyer like this.
  7. lrluis

lrluis Silver Member

Status Points:
    1 - yes
    2 - yes
    3 - yes, after I read my boarding pass
    4 - 4 hrs. DFW-SFO

8. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Making mistakes is human and not rude. Taking someone else's seat intentionally is rude.

FlyingBear likes this.
  9. lrluis

lrluis Silver Member

Status Points:
    I wrote the post while I was on the flight, so I didn't let is sit for days. Anyway, I do appreciate your opinion. I'll chalk one under the "you're overreacting" column and I probably was, but that's why I posted. Thanks for keeping me grounded.

I do have to say that I don't think it's rude to sit in someone else's seat if it was a mistake.

HaveMilesWillTravel likes this.
  10. Bay Pisco Shark
    Original Member

Bay Pisco Shark Gold Member

Status Points:
    If it was a mistake, not rude. The "feigned mistakes" are obvious and rude, however. More than once, I've done it because of habit - flying ABCD F cabins and ACDF F cabins.

11. Jaimito Cartero
    Original Member

Jaimito Cartero Silver Member

Status Points:
    Perhaps rude is too strong. Perhaps saying, "Not reading your boarding pass is inconsiderate to the passenger whose seat you are occupying".

A mistake, certainly. One that you can control, of course. I make the same mistake once a year, so I'm not casting stones on this one.

I find people in my seat 4-5 times a year, so I'm one usually the one looking at someone in my seat. :)

lrluis and Sagy like this.
  12. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    As long as the person occupying the incorrect seat is getting up and not making a scene, I think it's a non-issue.

FlyingBear, Sagy and TheBeerHunter like this.
  13. Sagy

Sagy Gold Member

Status Points:
    Total agreement. Twice this year I have had someone confuse Gate and Seat assignment. In both cases my seat was the same as the gate and the person in the seat was a row back. In both cases they were very embarrassed so it is clear that both were an honest mistake.

14. estnet
    Original Member

estnet Gold Member

Status Points:
    ;) Yep been in the "flying too long not thinking straight" place myself - a lot easier to armchair it!