Oh sorry, I forgot my pistol was in my bag...

Discussion in 'Travel Security' started by viguera, Sep 24, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    Bad enough if you're a regular passenger, particular bad I suppose if you're a flight attendant.

http://abclocal.go.com/wpvi/story?section=news/local&id=8821505

But it gets better... the gun is found in her carry-on at PHL terminal C Sunday morning, so a Philadelphia police officer tries to unload it and it goes off, firing a round into a TSA break room.

Although she has a concealed carry permit, it's unclear how exactly she seems to have forgotten that the gun was in her bag.

_kurt likes this.
  2. USAF_Pride
    Original Member

USAF_Pride Gold Member

Status Points:
    Actually, quite easy. When you have something with you most of the time, you forget you have it.

How many knives have the TSA protected us from to date?

icurhere2 likes this.
  3. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    I don't know... I don't care how many times I've flown, I think "do I have any forbidden items in my carry-on" would probably be something that's always in my mind.

We all have our routines, both for packing and for the airport security theater... from making sure you have your wallet to checking your pockets to when you start the process of "consolidating" crap to go through the x-ray machine.

At some point it all becomes routine as you get accustomed to flying, but even then I think that even if some of us forget the occasional bottle of water or whatever in the bag, you'd be hard-pressed to forget a loaded firearm in there. At best it means you didn't know where your loaded handgun was, which is in itself pretty bad.

4. _kurt
    Original Member

_kurt Silver Member

Status Points:
    According to the article I read, the police officer who discharged it is going to be "retrained" on handling firearms. Ya think?

estnet and icurhere2 like this.
  5. icurhere2
    Original Member

icurhere2 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Honestly, I often have a firearm in my rollaboard outside aviation settings. For instance, I have to drive about 2.5 hours through Illinois tonight (the nearest state where my carry permit is not valid). In order to comply with federal law on interstate commerce, the sidearm will go into my rollaboard in Paducah, Kentucky and will be locked for that portion of the trip.

I did get caught with a water I forgot about in SEA earlier this month but do have a routine to ensure no firearms are around when I get to the airport. Of course, I only go through that routine when I'm driving to the airport.

"Finger off the trigger" is one of the three rules everyone learns.

USAF_Pride likes this.
  6. Captain Oveur
    Original Member

Captain Oveur Gold Member

Status Points: