Oh Doofenshmirtz! Bank of America is killing the US Airways debit card

Discussion in 'US Airways | Dividend Miles' started by mikeef, Mar 29, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. mikeef
    Original Member

mikeef Silver Member

Status Points:
    Well, there goes an easy 80,000 miles per year. Sigh...

Mike

2. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    I've been with BofA for like a million years, since I opened an account with Fleet prior to the merger. And yet I would drop them in a second if they killed this off, as this is my everyday card.

LETTERBOY and jbcarioca like this.
  3. daninstl

daninstl Gold Member

Status Points:
    I opened my account last year. The US Air debit was the ONLY reason I opened an account with them. Now I'll drop this account. I'm sure it cost them money but not as much as they could make from using my money. Sad really. I just got the letter in the mail today. Says I have until Sept 30th 2012 then it's dead.

LETTERBOY and jbcarioca like this.
  4. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    You can all thank the Durbin Amendment to the Dodd-Frank bill. That makes debit cards much, much more expensive for banks to offer, so they're making them less lucrative to customers in other ways. I am not agreeing with the bank decisions, but that still is what they are doing. Almost all incentives for using debit cards in the US are disappearing now.

BeachMiles and LETTERBOY like this.
  5. Tiki
    Original Member

Tiki Silver Member

Status Points:
    Bugger! Well at least I can squeeze one more GS hit out of it.

daninstl, jbcarioca and LETTERBOY like this.
  6. LETTERBOY
    Original Member

LETTERBOY Gold Member

Status Points:
    I had them switch my US debit card to an AS debit card, which they still offer. My credit card is an AS Visa, so all my FF miles will be going into one account. While I wish the card were staying, it won't be all that difficult to keep the US account active. Incidentally, I read on TOBB that it was US Airways that terminated the debit card relationship with BofA.

Now, if BofA gets rid of the AS debit card, I'll close my checking account with them in a heartbeat. If SunTrust keeps the DL card, I'll go over there. They're SkyPesos, but they're miles.

daninstl and jbcarioca like this.
  7. desamo

desamo Gold Member

Status Points:
    Wow, I hadn't realized they'd quit offering the US Airways credit card. That was my first BofA card, actually. Still have the Juniper one.

jbcarioca and Flyer1976 like this.
  8. DeacFlyer1
    Original Member

DeacFlyer1 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I haven't touched a debit card (with the exception of occasionally pulling $20 out of an ATM) in about seven years. I just don't understand why you would use a debit card over a credit card.

jbcarioca likes this.
  9. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    It's simple... for everyday purchases it's just a lot more convenient. Money is in the bank, money is out of the bank. No need to deal with the credit card companies or worry about finance charges if you happen to forget to pay the card in full this month.

And it's an outstanding resource for financial discipline. If you open an account and have a portion of your direct deposit going there, and that's your budget for whatever, then that's your budget... and when the money is gone, it's gone.

I understand the advantage of credit cards in the miles/points game, and surely any big purchases go into a credit card. But I'm not losing any sleep over leaving a few miles behind because I used debit for a few cups of coffee this month. :)

10. LETTERBOY
    Original Member

LETTERBOY Gold Member

Status Points:
    And also, for someone who can't get a credit card (for whatever reason), this could be a good way to earn miles until their credit improves.

jbcarioca likes this.
  11. infamousdx

infamousdx Silver Member

Status Points:
    I disagree. For everyday purchases, one is not more convenient than the other. If you have financial discipline, there should be no use for a debit card. If you can put big purchases on the card and pay them every month, little daily purchases can just as easily lump into that monthly payment.

jbcarioca and DeacFlyer1 like this.
  12. DeacFlyer1
    Original Member

DeacFlyer1 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I disagree. In terms of convenience of actually using it (i.e. swiping the card), there's no difference between a credit and a debit card. But in terms of keeping track of your purchases, a credit card is much easier in my opinion. I absolutely hated my bank account balance changing on a daily basis back when I used a debit card. Being able to make one payment per month for all of my purchases is far more convenient than watching my bank account balance bounce around on a daily basis.

Sure, if you have trouble being financially disciplined (i.e. don't plan on paying off the balance in full each month) a debit card makes more sense, but I'm assuming financial discipline here--the ability to make a single payment for all my purchases each month is the trump card for credit cards, in my opinion.

Exactly.

jbcarioca, desamo and PointHoarder like this.
  13. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    Agree to disagree, I suppose... :)

I would never buy on credit if I could get the same rewards as I do for debit, but that's never gonna happen. And btw your balance is supposed to change on a daily basis... after all you're spending the money on a daily basis. :)

jbcarioca likes this.
  14. Flyer1976
    Original Member

Flyer1976 Gold Member

Status Points:
    BofA and Juniper was my first Affinity Branded Credit/Debit Card as well. It's a bummer but it is what it is.

jbcarioca likes this.
  15. desamo

desamo Gold Member

Status Points:
    This is why I like my Amex Green, honestly. I have a "budget" of what I can spend each month, and the rewards are nice. I do pay it off in full each month, and it offers me benefits I've never gotten from a debit card. Sadly, no US/UA benefits any more, though.

DeacFlyer1 and jbcarioca like this.
  16. desamo

desamo Gold Member

Status Points:
    Frankly, I miss my Hawaiian Airlines one. It was almost worth the fee for the pretty picture in my wallet.

Flyer1976 and viguera like this.
  17. LETTERBOY
    Original Member

LETTERBOY Gold Member

Status Points:
    The AS debit card I just got to replace the US card has a nice picture on it.

18. Rob
    Original Member

Rob Gold Member

Status Points:
    Did you get the AS bonus miles for the debit card for switching? Or do you have to switch back to vanilla debit card, then to AS card to get the bonus miles?

19. LETTERBOY
    Original Member

LETTERBOY Gold Member

Status Points:
    I assume I'll get the bonus miles. Nothing's posted yet, but I just got the card less than a week ago.

20. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    I switched from a plain card to a US debit and got the miles, but I had to chase them.

LETTERBOY likes this.
  21. dsldog400

dsldog400 Silver Member

Status Points:
    My daughter just switched from a plain BofA card to the AS debit, and the 3000 bonus miles posted in the normal fashion at first week of the following month, along with the purchases.

LETTERBOY and viguera like this.
  22. daninstl

daninstl Gold Member

Status Points:
    It's an extra card that I picked up during the Grand Slam promotion and I've just been using it. Lazy I guess. I have other reward "credit cards" but this one just happens to come in handy. I actually use cash much of the time.

LETTERBOY likes this.
  23. daninstl

daninstl Gold Member

Status Points:
    Sounds like a plan. I think I'll hold on until the Grand Slam and try for the hit then switch to AS if still available.
    I can't get a Suntrust DL card in my state for some odd reason.

LETTERBOY likes this.
  24. LETTERBOY
    Original Member

LETTERBOY Gold Member

Status Points:
    SunTrust only has banks in the southeastern US, I think.

25. Rob
    Original Member

Rob Gold Member

Status Points:

The question is more, do I have to switch from US BoA debit => plain BoA debit => Alaska BoA debit to get the Alaska bonus miles, or can I go straight from US BoA debit => Alaska BoA debit and get the Alaska bonus miles