OGG-LAX launching 1 July 2014

Discussion in 'Hawaiian Airlines | HawaiianMiles' started by Wandering Aramean, Jan 6, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    Newscience and downhillcrasher like this.
  2. downhillcrasher

downhillcrasher Gold Member

Status Points:
    I guess added competition will keep fares down, although they aren't exorbitant on this route in the first place given DL, UA and AA already fly it. Too bad they couldn't do something more creative with the A330 (like their JFK route)...

3. avflyer
    Original Member

avflyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    New Yorkers in general, aren't interested in going to Hawaii. 45% of all visits from the mainland to the islands are from the western states. If Hawaii needed the tourism I would say having the Hawaii Tourism Board subsidize flights like JFK HNL would be a good idea, but as it stands now, we are approaching 85-90 percent occupancy rates. There is just no market for JFK-HNL. Those people would rather go to Florida.

Hawaiian is focused on the far east markets and Oceania. I'm sure they would love to have an OGG-NRT or some such thing, and as soon as that becomes available, they will jump all over it. (OGG being their secondary hub), and now you have feed from the West Coast...voila!

4. downhillcrasher

downhillcrasher Gold Member

Status Points:
    I suppose I wasn't clear enough. I wasn't suggesting using the A330 for additional capacity on the JFK route, but rather a new creative route to some other city along the same lines as the JFK route (ie from a city that currently lacks service to Hawaii and not necessarily one on the east coast or even in the US). As for a market for NYC-HNL, it clearly exists as UA (and previously CO) has been running EWR-HNL for quite some time with great success in addition to the aforementioned HA JFK route.

I agree with their strategy of going east, so why not add HNL-??? where ??? is a new destination in Asia (I know Beijing is coming soon, so maybe HKG if their A330s have the legs?)?