Official Representative Presence on MilePoint

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by WilCo, Mar 14, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. WilCo
    Original Member

WilCo Silver Member

Status Points:
    I find myself having to go to the other board regularly, especially right now to get updates on issues. In doing a quick search on posts by UA Insider on both boards, UA Insider is much more active on FT than on MP. Of course, the other board also has more activity, it seems. One good example is the posting about mileage credited between cities changing. We still don't have the official answer here on MP (other than someone copying it from FT) and posting here.

Normally, I have not seen this to be a major problem, but now that the UA workload is extraordinarily high, I am seeing them choose to be more of a noticeable presence on only a single board. I'm hoping this will go back to normal/balanced in the next few weeks as I much prefer this board. If it doesn't change, I see this board's momentum stalling out.

2. JetAway

JetAway Silver Member

Status Points:
    FWIW-there also seems to be considerable frustration on the other board with UA Insider's lack of response regarding several key issues (e.g., chaos with CPUs, etc.) so I don't think MP is alone in being ignored. In all fairness to UA Insider (actually, several people seem to wear that hat), the last few weeks must have been very difficult for everyone at UA/CO. So let's give things a little time to sort out.

IDGflygirl, ssullivan and COFlyerCLE like this.
  3. WilCo
    Original Member

WilCo Silver Member

Status Points:
    Certainly didn't mean to imply, nor do I think I did imply that I am disappointed in UA Insider at all. I was just pointing out that there are considerably more responses on FT from UA Insider than I see on MP. And I see many of the same issues reported.

In all honesty, I'm sure it is a considerable pain for them to try to keep up on both boards. Even the fact that they try is commendable. I just wonder how long it will last versus declaring one board or the other the place that they will have a presence.

I guess it is a plea to the founders of MP to try hard to reestablish the good relationship with the Insiders to ensure that their presence is maintained long-term here (also / instead).

deant likes this.
  4. AZjohn

AZjohn Silver Member

Status Points:
    Well, personally I do not give much credit to the UAinsider gang (know at least 3 different people using that one account) to solve issues. In my limited experiance (the was no UAinsider posts on the UA board on FT, just the COinsider on the CO board until the merger) they are more of a marketing group trying to sell CO, which is now UA.

There is a lot of good information on both MP and FT, and I'm with OP that I like it over here more. But if you are trying to get up to date info, it's best to cover both websites. If you only want response from UAinsider, which I think is little help with current issues, then I don't know what to tell you.

JMHO,
    JOhn

5. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    The current UA Insider is the same as the old CO Insider, but with a few more people managing the account to handle the load. And it is decidedly NOT part of their marketing team.

I cannot say that I'm surprised MIlePoint is generally not getting as much attention. The reach here is simply much smaller and doesn't merit the effort, especially when resources are so limited.

Golfingboy, mbm3, deant and 3 others like this.
  6. AZjohn

AZjohn Silver Member

Status Points:
    The first COinsider was a guy (can't remember his name as he has kind of dropped off with their posts) and as I thought I tried to explain, there was never a UAinsider previous to the merger. So guess I should have tried to explain these were CO folks.
    And I'm curious then, what exact team are they on, because it's not the firefighting team? They have always came out and explained new benifits and schemes, thus I assumed this would be part of the CO's marketing department.

TAHKUCT likes this.
  7. ssullivan
    Original Member

ssullivan Gold Member

Status Points:
    The original COInsider was Scott O'Leary. At the time that he started publicly posting on FT, his title was Managing Director of Customer Experience. He's always been a great liaison between the online community and the company, and worked with many positive initiatives, such as very detailed flight status displays that were initially rolled out on CO's mobile website in 2007, and later to the full website and mobile apps. He's also been very involved in the big, official Do's that CO sponsored, the Star Alliance Mega Do's since CO joined Star in 2010, and numerous smaller events that sometimes consisted of just a small handful of friends from the forums meeting for drinks or dinner on a weeknight. He's also assisted numerous people with problems that weren't resolved easily through other channels.

The new UAInsider role has expanded beyond just Scott to others who work with him, but their focus has still been much the same. So, yes, while that account on the forums has been used to communicate new program features, rule changes, and other official correspondence from the airline over the years, it's been much, much more than just that. It has also provided a channel for very good communication between frequent flyers and the airline on a very personal level, and those relationships have resulted in many positive changes over the years. They've also resulted in "less negative" changes when program changes were not good, but were not as bad as they potentially could have been, based on the input gathered through the relationships forged between COInsider and forum members.

Flyer1976, unavaca, snod08 and 7 others like this.
  8. AZjohn

AZjohn Silver Member

Status Points:
    I guess us UA'ers just wrote the 1Kvoice regarding most these issues and seemed to work well. I hope we can still use both sources down the road ;)

TAHKUCT likes this.
  9. WilCo
    Original Member

WilCo Silver Member

Status Points:
    I've had great responses from the new team. Shannon regularly signs her? name and Carlos went above\beyond recently for me via a "conversation" or whatever it is called over here, They are a huge value, in my opinion. That's why I was commenting I want to see them more active here, if possible.

DCA1K likes this.
  10. ssullivan
    Original Member

ssullivan Gold Member

Status Points:
    Agreed. But COInsider's role went well beyond fixing individual issues. It also has often involved interfacing with customers in a way that shaped policy. I'm not saying that 1KVoice didn't do that as well to a certain extent - I was a 1K too for several years pre-merger, so I've experienced both airline's approaches. They were different, but both were focused on trying to improve the very experience of very frequent customers, just with different approaches to get there.

TAHKUCT and AZjohn like this.
  11. Mackieman
    Original Member

Mackieman Gold Member

Status Points:
    Indeed. I think you'll come to see as time goes on that we as a community are exceedingly blessed to have folks like Scott, Shannon, Carlos involved here. I've had the privilege of having meals with both Scott and Shannon and in addition to their helpfulness and professionalism, they're genuinely nice people. And few seem to remember that Scott himself is/was an avid mileage runner. His FlightMemory is among the most impressive I've ever seen.

12. ssullivan
    Original Member

ssullivan Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yep. He's even got some great stories about chasing things like 707s and DC-6s in Africa, and getting rebooked onto the Concorde due to something routine like an overbooked or missed connection on a non-Concorde flight to CDG.

13. AZjohn

AZjohn Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yes, please don't get me wrong, I don't have anything against CO or UA insiders (I really don't even know them personally at all). The only experiance I have seen is in the past year or so when COinsider changed to UAinsider and then saw several different people write posts with that name. And really those posts were about the "offical" changes in such, not really solving any real issues such as the TOD's and UG isses we have recently seen.

Again, I'm coming from the UA side, if there was an issue I needed help with or voice an opinion about a change of policy, I would just write the 1Kvoice with a explanation or question which was (and I do stress WAS) answered very quickly (it's not happening right now). So, I'm just not use to waiting for a company offical to post on a public web site something I need an answer for right away.

As I said, I hope we all have these two as well as any other sources for help with our new airline. Because right now we all have our hands full with issues.

John

14. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    They have addressed these issues in some cases, generally when given the opportunity and details necessary to do so. Not replying to every post, mind you, but they have worked to chase down anomalies in some cases and have reported back.

TAHKUCT likes this.
  15. AZjohn

AZjohn Silver Member

Status Points:
    I know exactly what they stated and don't even want to get into those responses on this thread. No need to even go there.

16. COFlyerCLE
    Original Member

COFlyerCLE Gold Member

Status Points:
    You said exactly what I was going to say, Mackieman. Having met both Shannon and Scott - we cannot have better people interfacing with us. They are both good, good people (and I'm sure Carlos is, as well).

I believe they are not here as much right now because the fire is not burning out of control here at milepoint. That can't be said of other boards. Their efforts are needed there more right now. Once things settle down I fully expect to see more posts by UAInsider here. At least this is a much more welcoming place, and even when the news is less good than we may want - it is always nice to hear it from them directly, often before anyone else gets the news.

Looking forward to a drink with the UAInsider team soon!

Minnesota Bruin likes this.
  17. Minnesota Bruin
    Original Member

Minnesota Bruin Silver Member

Status Points:
    I met Scott and Carlos (before he was an UA Insider) on SMD2 and Scott, Shannon, and Carlos on SMD3. Great interactions and I hope they continue (and increase) their involement on these boards.

I think the fact that UA is willing to support and grow the UA Insider team is a very good sign.

18. cwpfly

cwpfly Silver Member

Status Points:
    And likewise (and to return to the OP's point while agreeing with yours), I think that if we continue to support and grow the UA community on MP, we will be more likely to grab a larger share of the UA Insiders' attention.

19. bmvaughn

bmvaughn Active Member

Status Points:
    Regardless of where the company rep posts, I'd just like to see more transparency. Post the list of issues on the public facing site for all to see. Stack rank them by priority.

karenkay and goalie like this.
  20. JC1120

JC1120 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Agreed. Mini-DOs are now one of the few semi-official functions you may get to meet the UA Insiders at, and the response from MP on the first event wasn't good - only people who signed up on MP are ones who know of the Mini-DOs from FT. We're trying to get more involvement from MP at this level but it hasn't been hugely encouraging so far.

There will, however, be mini-DOs in the future for MP members to set up and attend :).

theBOAT likes this.
  21. mbm3

mbm3 Silver Member

Status Points:
    And how many top corporations post their issues in this fashion? No slight intended, but I think we should count our blessings that we have the public interaction, albeit a more limited one these days as they attend to the merger.

Xyzzy, Mackieman and sfogate like this.
  22. thegrailer
    Original Member

thegrailer Silver Member

Status Points:
    True but doesn't that mean that UAInsider(s) should have doubled down and spent more time on these boards? If it happens to someone here or on FT, it will happen to the kettles at large (for the most part).

karenkay likes this.
  23. bonnerbl
    Original Member

bonnerbl Gold Member

Status Points:
    I never considered UAInsider to be our personal concierge. Simply someone to monitor the board, see problems, and report them back to the people that can get them fixed. I also expected some insight to what was going on and corrections in the works. We don't have any idea how much time -has- been spent by them here nor what efforts they are making. I presume a lot of time and a lot of effort. IMHO expecting rapid replies to every post is expecting way too much. Even if every post was related to a specific well-stated problem. Many posts relate to unhappiness over new policies - that is not a system conversion issue.

TAHKUCT likes this.
  24. bonnerbl
    Original Member

bonnerbl Gold Member

Status Points:
    That is puzzling to me since SMD3 and the Freddie's were MP events. Can't be more involved than that! Can you clarify please?

TAHKUCT likes this.
  25. thegrailer
    Original Member

thegrailer Silver Member

Status Points:

Not really what I was saying. It appears a few things have been exaggerated.

I suggested that UA Insider(s) should have doubled down. He/She/They didn't. No one asked for a personal concierge. Also, a suggestion to have a bigger presence is not equivalent to instant replies. [Indeed, we now have "Alex" for that type of reply].

As for the amount of time UA Insider(s) spent here or on FT - good point. Where was/is UA Insider? What has/have He/She/They done? Why does it seem that the hard questions, particularly on FT, are not addressed (see e.g., TODs - and no, this isn't a settled issue). Where are the reports back to the board? This Board? Reports with answers rather than UA kool aid "everything is fine, nothing to see here" verbiage -

Cheers