Official Master Thread: SMD8

Discussion in 'SMD8 (STAR MEGADO #8)' started by Pat+, May 4, 2017.  |  Print Topic

1. grandbend

grandbend Active Member

Status Points:
    I have 2 Business tickets available for sale . A family emergency is the reason for the cancellation. email kdr@sasktel.net if interested in these tickets

2. cova

cova Gold Member

Status Points:
    1. Will there be a link to reserve a slot on the bus to the airport @ 3:30pm when the event officially ends?

2. What block time of flight departures is the bus targeting?

3. How many people are taking the bus on Friday afternoon, and how many are staying over?

I guess we won't know until the last minute, the impact of the scheduled airport strike for Friday 22nd and Sunday 24th. It is reported that disruptions can either be total shutdown or shutdown for a block of time - like 4 hours. In which case flights depart late or in some cases they depart early to get ahead of the shutdown window.

I am surprised there hasn't been more discussion on this thread. Most of the recent posts are cancellations.

Cochiti likes this.
  3. JanFredrikB

JanFredrikB New Member

Status Points:
    Please contact me for discounted Economy ticket!

Everything is handled through the organizers.

Can participate because of private reasons, unfortunately.

4. hwarren

hwarren Silver Member

Status Points:
    2 Business Class Seats at a DISCOUNT - Hello fellow MEGADO fans. I have 2 Business Class seats and i cannot attend because of medical reasons. I am totally bummed that i cannot attend and wanted to let you all know that the 2 Business Class seats are now available please call or email me for details. 407.929.8786 or parklake.re@gmail.com.

Hal

5. kiwi
    Original Member

kiwi Gold Member

Status Points:
    My schedule pre and post do is pretty tight. I'm contemplating the option to exit at BRU but still working out when I'll need to decide.

6. cova

cova Gold Member

Status Points:
    Likewise - I am considering exiting at BRU as well. But I will wait and decide a week before the event. I need to be home on Saturday, and can't risk being stranded at PMI for a couple of days.

Article from Palma by Majorca Daily Bulletin - says "Airport strikes would be "horrific". They are looking at full 24 hour shutdown, not just 4 hours.

https://majorcadailybulletin.com/news/local/2017/08/23/48975/airport-strikes-would-horrific.html

Since the first strikes are planned the week before, Sept 15 and 17, before our weekend of Sept 22 and 24 strikes, we will have an idea it these go through. But my thought is the first set could likely happened (including our weekend) and then there would be negotiations and maybe the later ones in Oct, Nov, Dec could be changed. Just speculation on my part.

But for now, the charter flight arrives on the 21st (not a strike day). And if you stay 2 nights and depart on the 23rd (also not a strike day) - it would appear you would be OK, just likely long lines, and some chaos due to flights cancelled the day before, at the airport on the 23rd.

But the event ends at 3pm on Friday and the only official transportation back to the airport is Friday afternoon at 3:30pm, with a min. of 1 hour travel time. So what happens if 2 bus loads of people arrive at the airport at 5pm and your flights are cancelled?

Last edited: Aug 31, 2017
    Cochiti likes this.
  7. flospi
    Original Member

flospi Silver Member

Status Points:
    Mrp Alert, Cochiti and cova like this.
  8. cova

cova Gold Member

Status Points:
    I used Google translate to read.

Net is - the strike is delayed, and will not happen on Sept 15 and 17th.
    The next meeting is Sept 7.
    The Ministry of Employment needs to be informed 10 days before.

Hence the strike could start on the third planned date of Sept 22nd, and continue on Sept 24th. We need to see what happens during the Sept 7th meeting.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2017
    Mrp Alert and Cochiti like this.
  9. eddie

eddie Silver Member

Status Points:
    Any update now?

10. cova

cova Gold Member

Status Points:
    Not seen anything yet.

Looking at (in addition to google searches).
    https://economia.elpais.com/

But would help for someone that speaks Spanish to follow El Pais.

flopsi is able to find the significant articles - so maybe he can find when there is an update

I suspect an article in the paper might not follow for day or two, so maybe too soon right now (same day - 6 hours later).

11. hokiethang

hokiethang Silver Member

Status Points:
  12. cova

cova Gold Member

Status Points:
    Last edited: Sep 8, 2017
    Cochiti, FF100 and flospi like this.
  13. Travelingemptynester

Travelingemptynester Member

Status Points:
    Whew! I am scheduled to fly out of Palma on the 24th! That was going to be a hot mess!

cova likes this.
  14. gianluca2706

gianluca2706 New Member

Status Points:
    Hello everyone,

Did you all manage to book accommodation without any problem? The NH booking office told me they cannot find any even for given the provided code and they are not able to proceed with booking.

15. flospi
    Original Member

flospi Silver Member

Status Points:
    I just checked out of interest if I could get a cheaper stay than I already booked (Hotel Amadeus in Vienna) but it seems, that during that time Vienna is pretty full or prices are really up at the moment.

16. gianluca2706

gianluca2706 New Member

Status Points:
    What did you work out for the night in Mallorca?

17. flospi
    Original Member

flospi Silver Member

Status Points:
    I booked the Universal Hotel Castell Royal a while ago. Price was pretty decent back then. Especially since I am sharing with a friend :)

18. skyhook
    Original Member

skyhook Silver Member

Status Points:
    If anyone's having trouble finding lodging, looks like the MOXY Vienna Airport is still available for 15k Marriott points or ~€115 per night. Looks like within easy walking distance of the terminal and NH.

A while back, I booked a 2-twins room at for €84/night -- contact me if you're interested in bunking. Same goes for the PH Mallorca (booked with 20k HGP points per night).

Edit: confirmed a Park King Suite upgrade at the PH Mallorca, so no more bunking unless you want a rollaway (for free or whatever the rollaway costs).

Edit again: zainman has dibs on sharing the suite at PH Mallorca.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2017
    Mrp Alert likes this.
  19. Cochiti

Cochiti Silver Member

Status Points:
    The number of cancellations seems unusual. Were the organizers able to fill all the vacant seats?

20. David
    Original Member

David Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'm landing in VIE at about 10am. Staying at the Moxy. Does anyone know what their policy (and crucially practice) is regarding early checkin?

Have some emails to send, but other than that free from then on.

(Is anyone looking for accommodation in PMI? - I've got a room I was holding in a Canyamel hotel just behind the beach. About to release the room as I will be using a room at one of the Universal Hotels.

21. cova

cova Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yes early check in is available at the MOXY.

I arrived on a OS nonstop from IAD at 7:30am this morning and tried to check in at the NH Hotel.
    No rooms available, and if they did open in a couple of hours - I would have to pay 50Euro additional.

Our room rate is a standard rate at NH Hotel and does not allow check in before 3pm no matter what. Hence if a room opens, you have to pay 20E to upgrade your room and 30E for the early check in to a superior room. No way for me.

Moxy had rooms and I stopped by and check in was immediately available. So I cancelled at the NH hotel and booked at the Moxy at a cheaper rate. At first the desk agent said I could not cancel without paying one night but I showed her my reservation details which showed cancel by 4pm today. There was no credit card anyway. She checked with her manager and then allowed me to cancel. Not a very friendly staff.

I have already run into a couple of other megado'ers checking in at the MOXY. The staff at the MOXY is wonderful and very friendly. Looks like a fun place. Just one block behind the NH Hotel.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2017 at 2:04 AM
  22. David
    Original Member

David Silver Member

Status Points:
    Looks like you got lucky - just been told no more clean rooms ready.
    Although it felt a bit insincere TBH.

Sent from my iPhone using InsideFlyer mobile app

23. mbru

mbru Silver Member

Status Points:
    If any one is staying downtown in Vienna tonight and is around the Marriott, I will be there and have lounge access for a few. Bruce

24. mowogo
    Original Member

mowogo Gold Member

Status Points:
    They were just able to get me a room, smoking room on the second floor, but after not sleeping much on the train up here and wandering in the rain, quite nice

Sent from my iPad using InsideFlyer

25. cova

cova Gold Member

Status Points:
    Nice - you likely did the best option. Now that you can check in for the event on Wed morning, staying downtown on Tuesday night would have been a good option. If moving out to the airport on Wed morning - be advised about no early check in at the NH hotel and also availability at the MOXY.

The NH Hotel will hold your bags for no charge, I assume MOXY would too.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2017 at 7:40 AM
    Cochiti likes this.