Official Master Thread: SMD8

Discussion in 'SMD8 (STAR MEGADO #8)' started by Pat+, May 4, 2017.  |  Print Topic

1. dougfj

dougfj New Member

Status Points:
    Hello all, not sure if this is the right place for a request but was wondering if anyone is interested in splitting a room in Vienna and/or Mallorca to save on lodging ?

Was on the waiting list and just confirmed a spot for my first megado !

thanks, Doug

Mrp Alert likes this.
  2. Pat+
    Original Member

Pat+ Silver Member

Status Points:
    I wouldn't count on breakfast at the hotel before 6am. The feedback about breakfast at SMD7 has been heard loud and clear. I will ask Brussels to disclose the exact menu ahead of time, so that folks know what to expect and can plan accordingly. I was taken aback myself last year.

flospi likes this.
  3. cheryld
    Original Member

cheryld Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks Pat!

4. stravels

stravels Silver Member

Status Points:
    First visit to Vienna. Anyone planning to sightsee prior to start? Havenʻt booked flight yet but on quick check, I may be flying into Prague and would be interested in sightseeing there also.

5. flospi
    Original Member

flospi Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'll be in Vienna earlier... same here. Flew via VIE often, but never made it to the city so far. Let's do some sight seeing and Schnitzel eating :)

6. Mrp Alert

Mrp Alert Silver Member

Status Points:
    That’s awesome that you’re pairing up to sightsee, @stravels & @flopsi

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

flospi likes this.
  7. grandbend

grandbend Active Member

Status Points:
    Arriving VIE September 17 late afternoon, Wife and I are looking to site see as well Monday and Tuesday

flospi likes this.
  8. mowogo
    Original Member

mowogo Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'll be arriving early Tuesday morning after taking the overnight train from Venice, so I'd be down to join a sightseeing group after dropping my luggage off

9. Cochiti

Cochiti Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yikes! The EU is cracking down on passengers entering or leaving the Schengen Area. New rules, which were introduced after a series of terror attacks in Europe, mean checks against a series of databases are now carried out on each passenger from non-Schengen countries. Here's a link to a photo taken at the airport security screening area at Palma a few days ago:

10. mowogo
    Original Member

mowogo Gold Member

Status Points:
    This kind of makes me glad that I have a late flight leaving there.

Sent from my iPad using InsideFlyer mobile app

11. cova

cova Gold Member

Status Points:
    In light of this - looks like you need to be arriving at the airport 5 hours min. before departure. I have a 6:50pm flight, so a 3:30pm departure from the Park Hyatt is going to be too late.

(I departed BCN in May and it was a mad scene as well - with min. 1.5 hours through immigration).

But is traveling from PMI to Germany in the Schengen area - so no immigration is required? So maybe only security screening is required? (if spending the night in Germany before international flight the next day)

Questions:
    1. How many buses are planned for the 3:30pm Friday departure?
    2. Is there a chance that one bus could depart earlier say noon to 1pm?
    3. If no early bus, can a 20E shuttle be set up for say 12:30pm departure on Friday?

I guess another option would be to rent a car upon arrival on Thursday, then one would have flexibility on the return. A rental car would also make it more suitable to stay at one of the Universal Hotels on the beach, which are much cheaper. Doing Google maps, the road from the Universal Hotels to the Park Hyatt really isn't walkable. It is only 2 lanes (one each way) and no side walk. And the distance seems too far.

Question on Vienna Park Hyatt party on Wed night:
    1. Is bus transportation being provided from the NH Vienna Airport hotel to the Park Hyatt Vienna for the party?

UPDATE - since the Wed night party is now at the VIE VIP Terminal - transportation to the Park Hyatt Vienna is no longer applicable. Transportation is still required to get to the VIP Terminal (not walkable) - I guess there will be airport type buses to get there.

This would determine if we need to add an extra day to the local Vienna transportation pass (subway, buses, etc.) to go along with the CAT train ticket (separate) from VIE to downtown Vienna.

Thanks.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2017 at 7:03 AM
    Mrp Alert and Cochiti like this.
  12. zb773

zb773 New Member

Status Points:
    Well, I'm beyond bummed to say this, but I've just learned that due to an unfortunately-timed but necessary surgery, I can no longer make my first MegaDo.

If anyone has a friend who's interested in a Business Class ticket, please let me know - there will be a finder's fee involved! :)

Thanks!

13. Cochiti

Cochiti Silver Member

Status Points:

14. Cochiti

Cochiti Silver Member

Status Points:
    I think you should be able to avoid the chaos at passport control since you are remaining within the Schengen Area. For what it is worth, I am in the same boat as you, although my flight to FRA is earlier on Saturday. Maybe the EU will step in and fix the problem, as it is hurting tourism!

cova likes this.
  15. tommy777
    Original Member

tommy777 Co-founder

Status Points:
    Correct. Unless you're exiting Schengen (which from Palma means flights to the UK) there will be no waits. (there are no long haul flights from Palma, the runway is too short) I have been to Palma twice in the last year and it literally took me 10 minutes from curb to gate. Also, Priority Pass lounge is good.

After traveling through Europe the last 3 weeks, I have noticed some changes in regards to passport control, but not for non Schengen passengers, but rather for Schengen citizens. Before the recent events, they never scanned every single passport when going through passport control, just a glance on the picture page making sure it's not expired. Now they are scanning every single passport checking the database for every passenger just as they've always done for non Schengen pax.

The result is that Melinda (who has a US passport) has gotten through passport control before me at pretty much every location the last 2 trips as there are usually a lot more non Schengen counters.

In any case, 5 hours is not realistic, even if you are flying to the UK.

Mrp Alert likes this.
  16. tommy777
    Original Member

tommy777 Co-founder

Status Points:
    There is no immigration required, other than UK and some Eastern European non Schengen countries.

There will be 2 buses leaving at 330, there will be no earlier departures to respect Hyatt's program.

If you are traveling to the UK on Friday, I'd suggest get on the 15 Euro shuttle earlier in the day

Thanks

17. JanFredrikB

JanFredrikB New Member

Status Points:
    Hi everybody! I’m an active member from the Norwegian version of InsideFlyer.

Unfortunately, I won’t be able to go to MegaDo this year, and I’m therefore selling my Economy ticket.

I’m in contact with the organizers and will fix everything regarding the transfer of the ticket, and I will also pay the transfer fees.

Please contact me if interested :)

iolaire likes this.
  18. johnmaher

johnmaher Member

Status Points:
    Hi everyone. I have an Economy ticket that I won't be able to use due to an unforeseen scheduling conflict :( The whole transfer process will be done through the MegaDo organizers so everything is above board. I'll pay any applicable transfer fees.

Please let me know if you are interested ASAP as I believe there is a transfer deadline coming up soon.

Please contact me if you are interested. Thanks!

Mrp Alert and iolaire like this.
  19. JanFredrikB

JanFredrikB New Member

Status Points:
    The transfer deadline is today, please contact me asap! (PS: They´re trying to extend it, so contact me anyway, and let's see what we can do)

Everything is of course done officially through the organizers, which I've been in good contact with for a long time.

20. Pat+
    Original Member

Pat+ Silver Member

Status Points:
    Star MegaDo 8 is just a little more than a month away, and we have an outstanding program lined up for our attendees. It will be yet another once in a lifetime experience!

While the event sold out shortly after the launch date, there are always participants who are unable to attend. Unfortunately, this year we have an unusual number of ticketed attendees who will be unable to join us. After clearing the wait list, we still have about 15 seats left available for transfer.

While the ticket exchange window closed yesterday, we have been able to negotiate an extension with our partners. We’re happy to announce that tickets can be transferred until September 1st.

We want as many as possible to be able to enjoy this fantastic event the MegaDo crew has worked so hard to put together. We do not want any open seats on this flight.

We want to help our participants find new takers for their seats. We have a limited number of seats available in both economy and business class.

Please help us spread the word, anyone interested can contact us at megado@megado.com - this is YOUR chance to get on board the Ultimate Travel Junkie field trip!

21. flospi
    Original Member

flospi Silver Member

Status Points:
  22. hwarren

hwarren Silver Member

Status Points:
    Hello fellow MEGADO fans. I have 2 Business Class seats and found out this morning that my doctor has scheduled my hip replacement for SEPT. 13th. I am totally bummed and wanted to let you all know that the 2 Business Class seats are now available by contacting megado@megado.com.

23. cova

cova Gold Member

Status Points:
    There are numerous articles on the subject. In addition, it is reported that slow downs at security checkpoints are causing long queues (not just the immigration delay). So traveling to Europe is going to be an issue as well travel to the UK.

Scheduled strike dates in September include Fri, 22nd and Sun, 24th. That would likely cause chaos on Sat 23rd due to cancelled flights the day before and after. Some articles report that it is possible that there could be resolution / concession by the later scheduled days - say those in Nov and Dec. But our dates of Sept 22 and 24 are days 3 and 4 of the extended strike, so a higher probably that we will be impacted.

In light of this, are the organizers looking at making any modifications to the schedule?

On another note, I just called the hotel and asked about transportation options to the airport. Only options are Hotel car service 178 Euros one way, taxi 100 Euros (hotel can call a taxi same day of departure), or bus. The bus takes a long time and is not recommended. If you go to the Mallorca shuttle bus service website it is 16 Euro from Canyamel (however Park Hyatt is not listed as one of the resorts for pickup). May be special arrangements need to be made. I guess if you can afford the 500 Euros per night to stay at the Park Hyatt - you likely would not take the bus shuttle which takes several hours. You may have to take a cab to another location to pick up the shuttle with a possible 1 hour wait time, plus the shuttle can have 16 stops.

Marti Serrate, the president of Spain's travel agency association is urging people to arrive at airports at least four hours early. Thus a 3:30pm departure from the hotel isn't going to work - for flights on Friday evening - if they fly.

But for now the PMI airport will be shut down on Friday Sept 22 and Sunday Sept 24.

If the strike goes as planned, will we have the option to exit the event in Brussels, and not take the flight to PMI? (in other words, will it be possible to retrieve and store our luggage in BRU and end the event in BRU after the Brussels airline schedule).

Arrival at BRU - will the group be arriving at a BRU gate and exiting security (go land side) before the tour?

Last edited: Aug 19, 2017 at 8:52 PM
    flospi and Cochiti like this.