Official Master Thread: SMD8

Discussion in 'SMD8 (STAR MEGADO #8)' started by Pat+, May 4, 2017.  |  Print Topic

1. Pat+
    Original Member

Pat+ Silver Member

Status Points:
    MegaDo returns to Europe! Star Alliance MegaDo 8 will take us through Vienna, Brussels, and Palma de Mallorca on a private Brussels Airlines A320 charter flight.

Highlights will include:

• A day with Austrian Airlines in Vienna. Meet the brand, the people, operations and their suppliers.
    • THE Star Alliance celebration: Celebrate 20 years with Star Alliance at the VIP party at the Park Hyatt Vienna. It's the event you don't want to miss.
    • Rene Magritte: The prettiest A320 around will be our charter.
    • A day with Brussels Airlines. Meet the brand, the people, operations and their suppliers.
    • Watch the sunset and party at the brand spanking new Park Hyatt Mallorca.
    • Spend a day with Hyatt and the new World of Hyatt loyalty program. Hang with the bosses and have an amazing day in beautiful Mallorca.
    Visit megado.com for more details. Registration opens on Thursday, May 11th.

Mrp Alert likes this.
  2. ballardFlyer

ballardFlyer Gold Member

Status Points:
    Well Mallorca has my interest!

grandbend and tommy777 like this.
  3. David
    Original Member

David Silver Member

Status Points:
    Will the MegaDo charter flight earn anything in any programmes?
    Either Miles and More, or other *A?

flospi likes this.
  4. Pat+
    Original Member

Pat+ Silver Member

Status Points:
    No, sorry.

David likes this.
  5. David
    Original Member

David Silver Member

Status Points:
    Shame, but thanks for v. quick answer.

6. cuauroao

cuauroao Silver Member

Status Points:
  7. cwpfly

cwpfly Silver Member

Status Points:
    We are excited to go! Does the Hyatt Elite Quick Qualify offer apply to current Hyatt elites for requalification? Thanks and see you in Vienna!

8. Pat+
    Original Member

Pat+ Silver Member

Status Points:
    Hi cwpfly, there's nothing specific in the offer about requalification - basically you'll be able to qualify for Explorist or Globalist with a drastically reduced number of nights, regardless of your current status.

9. mowogo
    Original Member

mowogo Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm ready to try and get my ticket, and have a coworker that is extremely tempted to go. And the timing works out perfectly for me, since I was already flying to Europe for the inaugural DEN-LGW on Norwegian.

Pat+ likes this.
  10. radonc1951

radonc1951 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Enjoyed last years trip.
    Unfortunately, this year's event falls directly on the Jewish High Holy Days, which makes it impossible for us to attend.:(

I hope everyone has a great time this year.

11. Pat+
    Original Member

Pat+ Silver Member

Status Points:
    Unfortunately scheduling was extremely challenging this year. We didn't take the decision to pick the Jewish High Holy week lightly, but the alternative was Yom Kippur which was probably even worse. We certainly understand that you cannot attend, and hope you to see you at a future event!

12. mowogo
    Original Member

mowogo Gold Member

Status Points:
    And booked for my third MegaDo, first full European one.

Mrp Alert, haakonks and Pat+ like this.
  13. haakonks

haakonks Silver Member

Status Points:
    I have also booked... Will be my eight MegaDo! :)

flospi, mowogo and Pat+ like this.
  14. onlyairfare

onlyairfare Silver Member

Status Points:
    I just booked. I was worried because I overslept this morning, didn't wake up 'til 10:30 Pacific time, thought I would be too late. But no...I'm in for my 4th or 5th MegaDO, I've lost count :)

Pat+ likes this.
  15. alanro

alanro Gold Member

Status Points:
    I am also booked. Looking forward to another MegaDo!

Pat+ likes this.
  16. onlyairfare

onlyairfare Silver Member

Status Points:
    OK, I checked my MegaDO Memories. This will be my 5th MegaDO! I am excited and can't wait.

#1 I was on the first Star MegaDO in Europe in 2009. I had never been to a DO before but decided to dive in with BooDO in Andorra the week before and then on to Frankfurt for SMD#1. I'll never forget buzzing the tower at TLS via missed approach, in a 757 right in front of the Airbus factory!

#2 The next MegaDO was in the US in 2010 with the mid-air pillow fight, hide and seek in the overhead bins, and landing at Paine Field by the Boeing plant. We toured the new DreamLiner, and got to watch the arrival of the DreamLifter from Nagoya, Japan, carrying a pair of wings for a DreamLiner.

#3 I missed this one because of my work schedule.

#4 In 2012 we chartered the DreamLiner, first public group to do so. We weren't sure we would get the 787, as the DO had been sold as a 767 flight. I remember running out to the gate to see which plane was there.

#5 in 2013, which I missed because of my work schedule (a theme).

#6 In 2015 was getting tired of missing the MegaDO because of work so I quit my job and arranged to start a new one after the MegaDO. In the meantime, it had sold out, but I was able to get a ticket on the secondary market and had a fabulous time in Stockholm and Toulouse (no fly-by this time) and London.

#8 I haven't cleared the vacation time at work yet, but if necessary I'll change jobs again. I am so excited. I have never been to Vienna before or to Palma di Mallorca, and a re-visit to Brussels will be lovely.

Last edited: May 11, 2017
    tommy777 likes this.
  17. tommy777
    Original Member

tommy777 Co-founder

Status Points:
    This years SMD has now sold out. Thank you again for your support.

I am so sorry for the problems many had yesterday. Not only did we have problems with our server due to high traffic, we also had multiple people sabotaging the later stages of sales making our website say the event was sold out for hours yesterday when in fact we had around 10-15 seats left.

That's now history, welcome to those of you who joined, many surprises to come and I can't wait to celebrate 20 years of Star Alliance with y'all!

18. tommy777
    Original Member

tommy777 Co-founder

Status Points:
    Folks,

We just received a 20% off all Austrian flights for positioning flights to and from the MegaDo. Before you purchase a ticket, pls wait for an email with the discount code coming your way some time later today or this weekend

19. 767300ER

767300ER Silver Member

Status Points:
    Happy to be there again! 8th Megado for me! Any idea of the pricing of the Hyatt in Mallorca?

Sent from my SM-T813 using InsideFlyer mobile app

20. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    It is listed on the SMD site under the agenda but not the pricing; 349 euro/night with a 2-night minimum for a single. It goes up to 399 euro/night for a double.

21. Pat+
    Original Member

Pat+ Silver Member

Status Points:
    It was actually listed under pricing, but not super visible. That's been addressed.

Folks - please watch your inboxes for an email with all the details on available hotel discounts, as well as special offer from Austrian Airlines.